How to make your own gas burner
Not everyone can make it, you need to have soldering and welding skills, know how to work on metalworking machines, have locksmith tools. To make it, you will need a piece of pipe for the nozzle length of 110 mm and a diameter of 50 mm.
Dimensions may vary slightly, but not in a wide range. As practice shows, this nozzle gives a sufficient flame to heat the roof and consumes a moderate amount of gas. Nozzle is fixed to the handle with metal strips, they can be welded or riveted. The second option takes more time, but is characterized by increased reliability. Riveted joints do not respond to repeated heating for high temperatures, welding seams in these operating conditions crack over time.
The gas to the burner is fed by a copper or metal tube. It is desirable to choose copper, it can be soldered to the nozzle, without having to cut a thread under it inside a metal tube. This makes it much easier to work.
One of the main elements of the gas burner is the nozzle, its diameter must be 0.75 mm. This parameter is written on the front surface. The nozzle can be bought in a store, the second option is to unscrew it from an old gas stove.
Hoses are put on the tube, the diameters are chosen individually.
Gas gun in the garage with their own hands
The simplest heat gun in the garage with their own hands. it is not difficult. You need a minimum of supplies and tools for the job. The main thing is to choose the right fuel. gas, electric or diesel.
Gas stove can be used not only as a heater, but also as a powerful fan heater for drying basements and as a tool to accelerate construction and repair work, especially in rainy, cool weather.
The principle of operation and application of the gas gun
If you connect the gun to the centralized gas supply, it becomes a full-fledged stationary device that can replace the entire heating system in a private home without compromising the quality of heating. Concerning the fuel used, in most cases it is propane-butane.
Note! Combustion of gas emits practically no odor.
over, the multi-level protection system, which is available in devices, completely eliminates the leakage of gas. “advanced” models have special coatings that protect the casing from damage.
Thanks to the gas guns can not only heat, but also promptly dry any surfaces. for example, plaster, freshly poured concrete and so on, and the high performance makes it possible to use the device in large rooms. warehouses, hangars. and in places where people congregate. This appliance can be turned on and forgotten about because temperature control, turning on and off, is initiated by a thermostat. Finally, in terms of the amount of carbon monoxide, a gas stove is no greater than a conventional stove.
What else can heat industrial premises, read here
All devices of this kind consist of standard elements:
Characteristic is that the device requires very little electricity. it is needed only for the rotation of the fan. When the gas burns, the heat exchanger heats up. The air, driven by the fan, passes through the heat exchanger, is heated and distributed throughout the heated room.
Unit #2. diesel heat gun
Where access to electricity is limited or impossible, heaters using diesel fuel are often used. Such a heat gun to make samoyatelno a bit more difficult than the electric model. It is necessary to make two enclosures and work with a welder.
How this construction works?
The lower part of the diesel heat gun is a fuel tank. The device itself is placed on top, in which the combustion chamber and the fan are connected. Fuel goes into the combustion chamber and the fan blows hot air into the room. For transporting and igniting the fuel you need a connecting tube, a fuel pump, a filter and a nozzle. An electric motor is attached to the fan.
Combustion chamber is mounted in the center of the upper housing of the heat gun. It is a metal cylinder, the diameter of which should be about half the diameter of the housing. The combustion products of diesel fuel are led out of the chamber via a vertical tube. To heat an area of about 600 sq. Up to 10 liters of fuel may be needed.
The lower body must be at least 15 cm from the upper part. To prevent the fuel tank from overheating it must be made of a material with low thermal conductivity. You can also use a conventional metal tank, which must be covered with a layer of insulation material.
The diagram clearly shows the construction of the heat gun, operating on diesel fuel. The unit should be mounted on a stable frame
The upper body must be made of thick metal, this can be a suitable piece of wide steel pipe. In the casing must be fixed:
A fuel pump is then installed, and a metal pipe is taken out of the tank, through which the fuel is fed first to the fuel filter and then to the nozzle in the combustion chamber. From the ends of the upper housing is closed with protective mesh. Power supply for the fan must be taken care of separately. If there is no access to mains electricity, a battery should be used.
When using a diesel heat gun it is important to adhere to safety rules. Even at a distance of one meter from the body, the directional flow of hot air can reach 300 degrees. It is not recommended to use this device in closed rooms, as the products of combustion of diesel fuel can be hazardous to human health.
In addition to the unit that runs on diesel fuel, other types of liquid combustible materials are also used for heat guns, such as waste machine oil. An interesting variant of such a device on the “waste” is presented in the following video:
Principle of operation and application of the gas gun
If you connect the gun to the centralized gas supply, then it becomes a full-fledged stationary device, which in a private home can well replace the whole heating system without any loss in the quality of heating. As for the fuel used, in most cases it is propane-butane.
Please note! When the gas burns, it emits almost no odor.
over, the multi-level protection system, which is available in the devices, completely eliminates gas leakage. “advanced” models have a special coating on the body, which protects it from damage.
Thanks to the gas guns you can not only heat, but also promptly dry any surface. for example, plaster, freshly poured concrete, and so on, and the high performance makes it possible to use the device in large rooms. warehouses, hangars. and in places where people congregate. This device is really a mono switch on and forget, because the temperature control, on / off initiates the thermostat. Finally, in terms of the amount of carbon monoxide, the gas stove is not higher than a conventional stove.
About what else you can heat your production facilities, read here
All devices of this kind consist of standard elements:
Characteristically, the device requires very little electricity. after all, it is only needed to rotate the fan. When the gas burns, the heat exchanger heats up. Fan-driven air passes through a heat exchanger, heats up, and spreads throughout the heated space.
How to make a gas burner by yourself?
There are several options for making the necessary device. The first way will allow you to get what you want after an hour (or more). The other options are not elementary ways, so they will require a little more time and effort.
Assembling the burner from a pipe
This is the easiest answer to the question of how to make a gas burner, but caution is still necessary, because the master will have to work with an explosive substance. The slightest mistake can cause serious trouble.
This tool is simple, but it will allow you to do the heating of parts before welding, preparing parts for forging. With the help of a simple device you can even carry out the repair of the roof of bitumen.
To manufacture the gas burner you need to prepare a small set of materials and tools. It includes:
Once everything is assembled in one place, you can begin to create equipment. But first it is necessary to find a suitable model. As a rule, it is relatively easy to find on the Internet already tried and, therefore, quite reliable specimens to imitate. In this case, it is not recommended to change the dimensions of parts, in any way trying to adapt the drawing “for yourself”. The reason is still the same. the danger of gas.
Assembling the equipment
The work is carried out in this sequence:
- First, from a pipe with a diameter of 40 mm with an angle grinder cut off a piece of the required length.
- It is brought to a proper look, using a grinder for the outer edge and a file for the inner edge.
- Then a pipe of a smaller diameter is made. It is cut, machined, then using welding equipment attach a fitting to it.
- The opposite end of this pipe is closed. welded tightly, then this part is grinded and a hole is drilled in it. Its diameter is 0.9 mm.
- Assemble both elements. To avoid rework, first connect them with three metal bars to check the operation of the equipment.
- They connect “half-finished product” to a gas cylinder to check its operability. If no problems are found, they are assembled.
- Metal bars are removed, and the workpieces are welded together again. In the last turn the gas burner is painted.
Ready instrument is connected to a propane bottle. Since gas is always a hazard, it is strongly recommended to connect the tool using a reducer.
Creation of a burner in miniature
This device is called a Bunsen burner, it is a laboratory device designed for heating on an open flame. This is a vertical tube mounted on a stand, to which a metal tube is welded. This is where the gas is fed. A plus of the device. its safety for the craftsman: the burner can be held in the hands without fear of burning.
Equipment made of copper tubes
Of course, the self-made device will differ from the original, but it will not affect the efficiency.
What you need for work?
How to make a Bunsen gas burner? First you need to find all you need. In this case, the work kit has fewer elements. To assemble the tool will be required:
Having prepared this minimum set, start the main work.
Making a Bunsen burner
In this case, first engaged in the manufacture of the first element. a thin tube, the ideal candidate for which would be a piece of 100 mm in length, with a diameter of 8 mm.
- The cut piece is cleaned of nicks on both sides. Then a piece of 40 mm length is cut from the smaller diameter pipe.
- Create a mini gas burner nozzle. To do this, take a syringe needle, file it with a triangular diamond file, then break it.
- Then the edges are deburred with the same tool or file. A fine wire is used to open/clear the channel.
- Connect the smaller tube, the needle and the copper wire. The end of the first billet is squeezed with pliers so that the needle can be fixed there.
- Then its end is treated with orthophosphoric acid, a copper wire is soldered to the side, and then the gap in the tube is soldered.
- Flush solder joints with water to prevent oxidation. Then the element is soldered into a larger diameter tube using a wire.
- At the beginning of the larger piece (opposite the wire and the needle) we make a hole for the adjusting screw (M8). It is screwed in, then the work is checked.
For ease of use, the instrument is mounted on a home-made stand made from a small piece of plywood. To do this, two wire loops are made at the bottom of the burner. Drill a hole in the edge of the tripod, insert a piece of wire into it, on which the connecting elements of the tool are put. The last stage of the operation is to check the performance of the gas burner, the final adjustment of its flame.
Burner from needles and droppers
This is another uncomplicated option, which will allow you to work with small parts, but will not require a large amount of time to assemble. Such a small device can not be called a “toy”: this gas burner is capable of producing temperatures up to 1000 °. For the assembly of the construction are used simple materials at hand.
What you need to assemble for the operation?
To be able to start the operation, you will need to find or buy:
A few common tools will be needed to create the parts. pliers, file. To test and use the Mini Torch you need a gas bottle and a container of compressed air beforehand.
How to make a gas burner in miniature?
- First, a small hole (kerf) is made in the inflation needle with a file. It should be placed at some distance from the middle. You can buy a product that already has a hole in it.
- Then deal with the needle from a syringe: it is bent in the middle, the desired angle is about 45 °. After that, using a grinding stone grind a slice of its tip to get a flat hole, turning the needle into a bent tube.
- A medical needle is inserted into the “ball” element so that its ends protrude. The place where the tube comes out of the kerf is wrapped with copper wire, treated with flux and soldered, because tightness in this case is a prerequisite.
- To the bases of the two needles are attached dropper, to them slide the regulator clips, which will be the handles for adjusting the air and gas supply. Join the elements with a heat gun. Then cylinders are connected to them. with compressed air and gas.
In the latter case, the main thing is not to confuse what to connect with what. The thick tube is designed for fuel, the thin tube. for air. The pressure can be changed by using drip clamps.
Such a “modest” mini torch in some cases can be a substitute for the factory tool. For example, if fine, almost jewelry work is required. The only requirement for it. the caution of the master, because even a tiny device, working with gas, does not cease to be dangerous.
Creation of a powerful gas burner
If you compare this option with previous devices, we can say that this is the most complex, serious equipment, which requires extremely careful handling during operation. Such a gas burner is used for different jobs. for burning weeds, melting metal, etc. д.
Tools and necessary materials
In this case, significantly more materials and tools are required to build the apparatus. From the tools you need to prepare a drill with a set of drills (0.8 mm, 3.2 and 6.4 mm), puncher, soldering lamp (solder, flux) and adjustable wrench. Now we need to get acquainted with the list of materials. It is impressive:
Now about the choice of fittings: the best option to get the most reliable construction. brass connectors.
Assembling gas burner
The first thing to do is to prepare the parts. In the center of the plug, a hole is drilled, its diameter is 0.8 mm. Then they take the pipe and at a small distance from the thread drill 4 holes, but already use a drill with a diameter of 3.2 mm. They are designed for the passage of gas.
- Assemble the nipple assembly. First, a barrel is soldered into it, then this part is screwed into the connection socket.
- It, in turn, is attached to the opposite end of the metal tip. Threaded joints are pre-treated with sealant to ensure reliability.
- The brass plug is connected to the threaded barrel, immediately screwing the connection to the stop. Then this piece is screwed into the socket.
- A sheet of metal is cut out for a cone, then carefully bent and the edges are welded. Make holes in the narrow part. Fix the cone to the end of the pipe using screws.
- Connect the coupling with a steel pipe. Then a connector is screwed into it, and behind it. a quick connector for burners.
- After assembling the device it is connected to a fuel reservoir: gas regulator is connected to a cylinder and hose coupling is connected to a gas burner.
After completing the connection of all the elements, do not immediately start using the equipment, because first it is necessary to check all the components for leaks. The traditional means is used for this. soapy water. Bubbles prove defective connections. If the device works flawlessly, it is safe to start checking the operation of the gas burner.
Making a gas heat gun with their own hands
On sale there are various models of gas guns, but many craftsmen at home construct such devices on their own. There are no special difficulties in the construction of a gas gun.
To make such a heating device, you need to understand how it works, have skills with welding equipment and take care of the availability of the necessary materials,
Since most home craftsmen plan to use a self-made heat gun for heating garages, they choose the design of the gas gun of indirect heating, connected to the chimney. This design allows you to be in the room to be heated during its operation.
To create a gas gun will require the following materials:
- Pipe length of 1 meter, a diameter of 180 mm, designed for the manufacture of the body;
- Tube of the same length, but a diameter of 80 mm for the combustion chamber;
- a pipe 0.3 meter long, 80 mm in diameter for the outlet pipe of heated air;
- Gas burner, equipped with a piezo igniter;
- any axial fan with a round flange.
Schematic diagram of the gas heat gun see below.
Assembling a homemade gas gun, equipped with a combustion chamber, is carried out in the following order:
- On opposite sides of the pipe of larger diameter are drilled two holes. One of them, designed for welding the outlet pipe of heated air, must have a diameter of 80 mm. The second hole is drilled with a diameter of 10 mm. In it will enter the gas hose connected to the burner.
- The combustion chamber is made of a pipe of smaller diameter. For its rigid attachment to the tube, it is necessary to weld plates that hold the structure in the center of the body.
- Then it is necessary to prepare a plug, cut from a metal sheet so that it closes the gap between the combustion chamber and the body. In this case, there must be access to the chamber to connect it to the chimney.
- The next step is to assemble the structure. It is necessary to weld the ribs of the combustion chamber inside the body and from the outer part of the body to weld a pipe through which the heated air will enter the room, and a plug. Then installed and firmly fixed gas burner, and mounted the fan.
The idea of making gas stove from metal
Assembling a gas gun with direct heating is much easier, since it consists of a tube, one end of which is attached only a burner and a fan. Hot air together with combustion products comes out from the opposite side of the chimney.
How does it work
The design of the gas heat gun is very simple. It consists of a cylinder of gas, a reducer that provides an even flow of gas, a burner, a fan and a housing.
In principle there is nothing complicated there. Gas is fed to the burner, the fan drives air through the heat exchanger or flame, and it is heated. Of course, this is only a schematic representation of its work, but the principle can be understood.
To facilitate understanding of the principle of operation of such devices, you can look at the picture. the scheme, with a picture of a heat gun in section.
In principle, everything is simple, but to make such an installation you need to have practical skills in making such things and considerable knowledge of the subject.
Therefore, doing something like this with your own hands is usually not recommended. With even a small breach of technology, the device can be very dangerous. because we will use liquefied gas, and it is explosive. So, to make a gas gun without experience in building such devices is not the best idea.
If all the necessary knowledge and skills are available, then, homemade gas gun will help solve the problem with heating, such as summerhouse or greenhouse.
Despite the complexity of the assembly, the construction of the gas-fired heat gun is simple. Self-made design does not differ much from the factory unit. However, there are guns of indirect heating, where there is no direct flight of flame from the nozzle, and the products of combustion are vented to the street through the chimney. However, such heaters are difficult for self-assembly. They should not be considered. It is optimal to get acquainted with the advantages and disadvantages of an affordable direct heated gas heater by design.
Simple in the manufacture is considered a gas gun direct heating
- The full amount of thermal energy is supplied by the burning fuel. The efficiency of the gas gun reaches 100%.
- The heater with the smallest nozzle has a minimum output of 2 kW. Self-made makes it possible to increase the parameter to the desired value. The calculation is performed based on how much air must be heated for 1 hour and to what temperature. For example, if the garage with good insulation has a volume of 30 to 50 m 3. A 3kW heater can heat your garage up to 15 degrees Celsius in one hour.
- The speed of heating the garage is one of the important advantages that allows you to quickly get to work inside the warm room. Quick heating is ensured by the built-in fan.
- Variations in temperature inside the garage are accompanied by dampness. The gas appliance is not sensitive to bad conditions. Quick ignition possible at all ambient conditions.
- Mobility of the heat gun allows its use in any place of the garage. The heaviest component is the gas cylinder, but it can also be rolled by one person to another place.
- The metal case of the heater is resistant to mechanical damage, which is especially advantageous in a garage environment.
- Unlike the factory-made model, a homemade heat gun lacks multi-level protection. The unit may not shut down if there are any malfunctions.
- A direct heating gun has a flame that flies right out of the nozzle. First of all, it increases the fire hazard. The garage is filled with combustible materials, oily rags, rubber, other flammable materials that in contact with fire will cause a fire. Secondly, fire burns oxygen. If the garage is poorly ventilated, the person will get poisoning, possibly even suffocation.
- The noise of the working heater is annoying. It is caused by the fan and the combustion of gas.
- The disadvantage is the need to fill the tank with gas. If you use the gun frequently, it quickly runs out of fuel. It is necessary to take the cylinder to the filling station on your own.
Despite the many negative aspects, self-made gun will help heat the garage, if there is no other alternative.