What you need to know before you repair the boiler at home
Often the Ariston water heater does not turn on because of irregularities that occur in the operation of the thermostat. When you find a problem, you do not need to go to the experts.
Before carrying out repair work, it is necessary to identify the reason why the boiler does not work. The main causes of malfunctions of water heaters have been outlined above.
Once a problem is detected, you will need to find a method of fixing it. When repairing this or that part, you should follow the basic rules of the task. The main thing is not to forget to disconnect the device from the mains.
Repair of the water heater for 10 liters
In these models of boilers, the heating element often breaks. On the rules of diagnosing the device has already been discussed in today’s article.
If the cause of the breakdown is in this device, you need to follow the following algorithm:
- Remove the faulty heating element from the boiler. For this purpose, you will have to perform a partial disassembly of the heating device. First of all, you need to drain the remaining water with a hose. Then disconnect the appropriate wires, having previously photographed them. Next, unscrew the stand, on which the tubular electric heater is located. Remove the heating element from the stand.
- Replace a failed electric heater.
Important! Having come to the store, it is necessary to show the seller the old heating element from the water heater. On its basis a new device of the same brand and size will be picked up.
It is very problematic to repair a heating element that has stopped working. To do this you will need to find a service that provides such services. Surely the cost of repair will be high.
How to fix a 50-liter boiler with your own hands
As a rule, boilers of large volumes are more difficult to repair.
Often the cause of the breakdown lies in the thermostat. To repair this element, you will have to listen to several recommendations:
- You can check the thermostat by setting its handle to the minimum value. To perform this procedure, place the thermostat in the hot water. It is desirable that its temperature is above 50 degrees. After performing this action, the circuit will be interrupted. A specific multimeter sound indicates a thermostat malfunction. In this case, the device must be replaced.
- If the diagnostics of the thermostat gave a positive result, then the problem is most likely in the excessive scale, which must be completely removed. To do this, the heating element should be placed in citric acid for several hours.
- Check the socket for proper functioning. If numerous checks revealed a lack of voltage in the socket, it is better to replace or repair.
Repair of a 80 liter water heater
Water heaters with a capacity of over 50 liters are subject to serious contamination. Especially if the rules of their operation are not followed. Because of this reason 80-liter water heater termex can not turn on. Repair of such devices is to clean the components of the heater from dirt and scale.
Note! Information on how to disassemble the water heaters is provided in the instruction manual that comes with the kit. Carefully read it, you can learn about the functions and features of water heaters, as well as the main causes of their breakdowns.
In the process of cleaning the boiler uses a variety of detergents, which do an excellent job. Regular cleaning of water heaters is the key to their long and effective service life.
Based on all of the above, we can conclude that breakdowns occur due to improper operation of water heaters. With proper maintenance of this device, repair may not be necessary at all. Plugging the boiler into the power grid, a person should make sure that the tank is filled with water. Also, using a water heater without grounding is highly discouraged.
The main reasons
A properly working device maintains a predetermined temperature mode, constantly heating water. But it can also be that in the absence of obvious breakdowns water in the storage tank remains hot, and from the tank slowly flows out a little warm, and that badly comes in a thin stream. What happened and how to fix the problem? When the water in the tank has cooled down, it can be assumed that improper maintenance of the device was carried out.
The water heater is a device consisting of different elements, is a complex system of different interconnected elements. Breakage of at least one of them affects the operation of all the others.
The malfunction may have occurred because:
- There should be no limescale deposits on the heater, pipes, valves or valves as a result of hard water;
- the heat regulator is broken;
- jammed valve or valve;
- the faucet is clogged and its ducts are clogged;
- There is rust;
- Air bubbles have blocked the outlet of the water flow;
- The reducer is broken and cracks have formed in the body;
- The wrong heating mode is set.
To find out what exactly, the cause of the breakdown and why the water heater does not flow well, you must first unplug the device from the outlet, wait until the liquid cools and drain it:
Water can be discharged through the safety valve:
When the tank is empty, you can inspect the device for malfunction. To do this, carefully disconnect the system elements from the inlet and find out why the water flows slowly or does not flow at all from the water heater. When the cause of the breakdown is established, begin repairing the appliance.
Important! If the problem occurs before the guarantee service expires, you must call your Service Centre for repair. Any independent opening of the body of the device will lead to the loss of the right to warranty service. Self-repair of the device is better to carry out after the expiration of its service period.
Strainers, pipes and nipples blocked
The reason that no hot water comes out of the boiler can be:
The filter installed at the boiler inlet cleans large volumes of water from dirt, but a lot of dirt clogs the filter and it becomes clogged. Dense deposits and blockages form on the gasket, preventing the water from circulating freely.
The malfunction can be eliminated by cleaning the filter strainer and rinsing it under a strong jet of running water. To begin with a special key to open the plug of the flask, then remove the filter gasket and wash off the dirt.
Advice! Stubborn dirt can be removed with a dishwashing detergent! It is applied to the filter screen and carefully wiped with a sponge. Clean filter must be replaced in the correct order. It is recommended to buy an additional filter in advance to avoid problems in the future.
Failure of a cold water intake valve or hot water valve
If they are the cause, then after replacing them with new valves, the appliance will begin to work.
Clogged pipes and fittings
Limescale and debris collect in the bends of pipes and spigots, making it difficult for the liquid to flow into them. Such deposits are difficult to remove, you have to replace pipes and fittings with new plastic ones.
Pressure reducer malfunction
When the pressure regulator fails, the water begins to flow weakly or not at all. The regulator also helps protect the heater from deformation due to pressure fluctuations. If the mechanism is functioning correctly, the water flow is equally strong both in and out of the boiler. When the current weakens, check the operation of the reducer, try to debug it or replace it with a new one if it is broken.
The appearance of limescale
Over time lime builds up on the heating element of the boiler. Hard water and the action of high temperatures combine to contribute to this. The salt deposits cover the coil of the heater, making it difficult to heat. The harder the water is, the more salt deposits appear, and as a result the heat dissipation is also disturbed and the heater burns out. To get rid of the problem, remove the heating element and clean it. To do this, you need to:
- Disconnect the appliance from the power supply;
- open the lid;
- Take out the coil, dip it into the citric acid solution;
- remove deposits;
- clean the walls of the tank;
- Replace the heating element;
- use a tester to check the operation of the contacts.
If the coil is broken, it is replaced by another. If the heater is in working order, but the hot water does not come, it means that the reason is in a different way.
The thermostat is broken
The boiler can stop heating water when it does not have a functioning temperature regulator. thermostat. If the heater works correctly, this element turns on the heater. Most water heaters are equipped with thermostats. built-in mechanical or overhead electric. To check its operation, connect a multimeter and measure the resistance:
- Disconnect the unit from the mains;
- Disconnect the contacts and remove the thermostat;
- turn on the fuse;
- to heat the copper tip (the automatic button switching off should work);
- Use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the contacts.
No Hot Water: Water Heater Troubleshooting
If the indicator does not react in any way, then the thermostat does not work, it must be replaced.
Problems with the faucet
If a thin trickle of water comes from both cold and hot water, probably the problem is in the faucet. it is clogged, it must be cleaned:
- shut off the riser pipe;
- pull out the faucet;
- unscrew the spout;
- Remove the strainer and rinse it properly (if heavily soiled, place it in a special solution (water and lemon juice);
- Wash the faucet, clean with a brush from the inside and rinse properly with water;
- Assemble all the elements without mixing anything up;
- open the riser pipe.
Cleaning takes time. To avoid waiting, you can simply replace the faucet with a new one.
Advice! Avoid clogging the faucet helps to install filters on the pipes that connect to the water heater!
In addition to these there are other causes of malfunction, as a result of which, from the boiler does not go hot water:
A clogged non-return valve
Debris can also get into the valve. It is disassembled, the stem is worked out. Before this, the water from the boiler is emptied.
Low pressure in the water system
Hot water may not be able to come out of the boiler if there are problems with the pressure in the water mains. The water comes from the upper part of the accumulator. It moves due to the pressure generated. Nothing happens if the pressure is too low. To make sure that the problem is not a boiler malfunction, but in the engineering systems of the house, you must open the tap with cold water. If nothing happens, you need to ask the utility to check.
The hoses were not connected correctly during installation
The hose for the intake of cold water, is mounted to the place of discharge of the one that was heated earlier. This is the case if mistakes were made during independent installation which disrupted the operation. Because of this, no water is coming into the tank. All can be corrected by seeking advice from a specialist.
Another sign of improper operation of the heater. not filling it with water. The reason may be simple. the wrong sequence of water flow into the boiler. The correct way to fill the tank is as follows:
- On the faucet to open the hot water drain tap (the water heater is connected to it, now you can open the cold water valve of the engineering system (general plumbing);
- Water will begin to flow into the tank, as a result of the pressure drop, air will be removed from it.
- The water will reach the correct level and will flow into the spigot;
- As soon as the jet alignment occurs, the faucet must be shut off.
- the full water heater can be connected to the mains.
Is it necessary to drain the water from the water heater?
There are two correct answers to this question: sometimes the procedure is almost mandatory, but in some cases there is simply no need for such an operation. Therefore, it is necessary to consider these and other situations.
When is water necessary to be drained?
The need to drain the water arises under several conditions.
- The heater has been in a non-heated room for a long time. For this reason, there is always the possibility that the liquid inside the tank has frozen, ice has appeared on the walls. This expansion can provoke a non-serious breakdown, which is relatively easy to fix. The worst-case scenario is an “irreparable failure” of the appliance.
- There is a problem, but the boiler has reached the end of its service life and the warranty has expired. In this case, the owners will have to repair the design on their own (call a master), so the drainage of water will be a mandatory procedure. At the same time it is recommended to wash the heating element, to replace the magnesium anode, to rid the “insides” of the tank of scale.
There are signs by which you can determine that the water heater needs cleaning or repair. These include pressure that has become weak, slow heating of water, uncharacteristic noise during operation. Draining the water is an operation that may be required in the most common cases. These are:
- Scaling in the tank. Since the boiler, in fact, is a large electric kettle, the condition of the device depends only on the quality of tap water. The worse the liquid, the faster the scale appears. The consequences of its accumulation. higher power consumption of the unit (at least 20%), slower heating of the liquid, because scale is a good insulator. Quality water filters allow you to limit the drainage once every 4-5 years. If what is called water bears little resemblance to H2O, descaling is needed annually.
- Failure requiring replacement of one of the elements that are rapidly failing. often it is a magnesium anode, the main purpose of which is to prevent corrosion, reducing the scale on the heating elements. If the boiler is used regularly, the anode needs to be replaced every 2 years, sometimes more often.
Other situations that require draining the water, include “worldly matters”. repairs in the house, apartment, cottage, change of residence, or replacement of old water heating equipment with new equipment.
When water can and should be left on?
This operation is not necessary in several cases:
- The device in the house or apartment did not work for a long period of time, but the rooms are at normal temperature, there is heating, hot water supply. In such a situation, there is no need to drain the water from the tank.
- Idle for 2-3 months. In this case, the fear of owners is stagnant water. Is it necessary to drain the water from the water heater? The answer is the same: No. The old liquid will leave the tank when you resume its supply to the unit.
- The boiler is still under warranty. In this case, any unauthorized activity is simply forbidden, otherwise the water heater will lose the warranty. Any malfunction of the unit should be dealt with by specialists from the service center.
To get rid of the musty smell, it is enough to pass through the equipment about 100 liters of water. If the owners think that it is time to change the water, the warranty period is over, but the equipment does not give any reason to worry, it is better not to touch the boiler unnecessarily. Especially those who do not have the necessary skills of such work.
Causes of the equipment leakage
If the boiler leaks, what should owners do when such a malfunction is detected? First you need to shut off the water supply, then disconnect the unit from the mains, or vice versa. Then conduct a thorough inspection of the device. This “comprehensive” examination will allow you to find the location of the leak and determine the cause of the malfunction.
Diagnosis makes it possible to find the source of the leak, find out whether the integrity of the body is not violated, whether there are traces of rust, etc. д. An indirect sign will be the temperature of flowing or dripping water. If it is warm or hot, you can conclude that the heating element of the boiler is functioning normally. When it leaks cold liquid, then there are two problems at once: this damage to the body of the device and the failure of the heating element.
Most often a leak is found at the top or bottom of the water heater. There are several reasons for such malfunctions. But first we need to consider the case of a water heater that is found to be leaking from above. She is proof that there is a hole in the storage tank. There are several “provocateurs” of such emergencies. They include:
- manufacturing defect;
- Installation of the water heater without grounding;
- Tank in which the magnesium rod is not installed;
- Substance that is difficult to call water because of its poor quality.
Most of the malfunctions of water heaters is caused by long-term use of the technique in the absence of prevention.
Before you get to work, you need to make sure that your conclusions are correct, because not always a puddle is a sign of a leaky unit. On the appliances and pipes, which are located near the water heater, condensate can appear. It will flow to the floor, gradually accumulating. These “anomalies” are often seen in wet weather. Often small puddles appear at the water heater, if it is installed in a non-residential, unheated room.
Deformation of the boiler body
Such a defect is a consequence of improper installation and connection of the device. Deformation is caused by the absence or malfunction of a safety valve. This element prevents an increase (decrease) in pressure in the storage tank, and its excessive filling (emptying). Adverse situations in which the device turns into an “accordion”, there are several.
- The tank is forced to compress, if from the system without a valve (or with a faulty valve) is drained all the liquid. The reason is the vacuum created in the tank.
- To the same consequences leads to the termination of the water supply, if the tank remains hot liquid. When it cools its volume decreases, the result is the same. rarefaction and deformation.
- If the tank is filled with water and turned on, the liquid begins to expand when heated. Internal pressure in the tank increases, but it cannot be restored to normal without a regulating safety valve. As a result, the tank “bursts”.
To find the “culprit” of the leak, check connections and valve functionality.
- The first thing to inspect is the section where the fuse connects to the tank.
- If there are no drops of water in this place, then check the valve itself, its tap. It is simple: when it is closed, the water must not drip.
- If the safety valve does not retain the liquid, it is out of order, which means that this fixture must be replaced. This operation can be done by yourself if the “arsenal” of the owner already has this element and sealing material (FUM-tape, gasket, etc.). п.).
The second possible cause of deformation of the boiler shell is the use of low-quality pipes. In this case, the slow destruction of the tank is due to pressure fluctuations and hydraulic shocks. Deformation of the water heater body is caused by mechanical damage due to carelessness of the craftsman. If during transportation or fixation of the device has fallen, then this case does not belong to the warranty. The answer to the question of whether it is possible to repair a fallen boiler, depends only on the size of the defect and the location of damage.
Deformed body of the water heater is a serious malfunction. It is impossible to fix such a problem, and it is not safe to operate a damaged or “bloated” device, even if there is no leakage yet. Whatever the cause of the deformation, owners will have to choose and buy a new unit.
If the leak is found on top of the water heater, but there are no signs of deformation, the cause may be a factory defect. often with such a problem faced within a day after installing and connecting the unit.
Modern models are complex devices, so independent repair of the storage tank is impossible. In addition, the warranty on the equipment, which was opened, is not covered. If a defect is found in the model, then it is returned to the seller.
If the warranty has expired, repair of the storage tank is also not recommended. In this case, when welding, the protective layer of enamel splits off. The consequence is the appearance of an unreliable area. Over time, corrosion will spread further, so the risk of flooding the neighbors can not be excluded.
Problems with the heating element
This element of the system. the weakest link of water heaters, because the heating element is forced to contact with the liquid, which is often very far from ideal.
If the leak is detected at the bottom of the device, then it can be assumed that the problem lies in the heating element. The main threat to the electric tube heater is limescale. In this case, the repair consists of replacing the device (along with a magnesium anode) with a new, similar device.
Before installing the heating element the tank must be descaled. For convenience, remove the housing. Small dirt is removed with a sponge. Do not use hard brushes, as these tools can easily damage the enamel. For the same reason cleaning agents with abrasives are not used.
Strong scale is removed with special preparations, or use homemade solutions:
- Litric acid (50 grams per liter of water);
- Acetic acid (1 liter and five teaspoons):
- vinegar essence: take 2 teaspoons per 1 liter.
The solution is poured into the tank, and left until morning. Then the liquid is drained, the walls of the container several times rinsed with clean warm water.
There is a cleaning option and for a connected boiler: a third of water is poured into the tank, then a solution is added. Set a high temperature (90-95 °). Allow unit to stand for 6-8 hours. Then the solution is drained and the tank is rinsed well. To protect as much as possible a new device from deposits, it is recommended to install a magnetic filter (converter) to purify water from impurities.
Worn out gasket
This is another potential source of failure of the unit. The boiler heater flange gasket can also cause leaks in the unit, because it wears out over time. If a leak is detected at the bottom, it can not be excluded that this element is severely damaged.
Express repair of the leak is possible: you can try to tighten the nuts tighter. But it is unlikely to completely eliminate the leak in such a simple way. Therefore, it is better to go immediately to the store to buy a new part. Since there are so many types of gaskets, the faulty element should be taken.
Wear of the magnesium rod
The symptom of this malfunction is also a leak at the bottom of the appliance. The magnesium anode is designed to prevent the accumulation of scale on the electric heater, so it wears a lot, and requires periodic replacement. Repair of this device is also impossible: the owners need to buy a new magnesium rod.
Incorrect, negligent installation of the device
In some cases, leaks may occur under the heater fasteners. It is impossible to eliminate such a malfunction without consequences: the owners will have to buy a new unit, since the thin walls of the device can deform during welding.
The second, more common problem. unreliable connection of the device with the pipes of DHW and HTW. This problem is often encountered by those who have installed and connected the unit by themselves. Causes of leaking boiler connections. the choice of unsuitable seals, their insufficient quantity, low quality fittings, etc. д.
The causes of leaks in boilers of different manufacturers
Leakage of water heaters is very rarely caused by a factory defect, but with such trouble is still necessary to face some of the owners.
- Ariston (Ariston). Models of this manufacturer suffer from high pressure in the system. Often leaks occur because of a factory defect. Improper transportation and installation leads to a breach of the integrity of the joints. In such cases, the “merry drip” appears either immediately after installation or after a few days.
- Baxi, Bosch, Zanussi, Electrolux. These devices are reliable: factory defects in water heaters of these manufacturers are rare. The main causes of leaks in these boilers are incorrect installation and water hardness.
- Termex (Thermex). Models of this company are also not immune to problems. Their flange gaskets, tanks and heating elements turn into leakage sources.
If we consider all cases of “crying” equipment, then we can name several common causes of equipment malfunction. These include the failure of the safety valve, incorrect installation of the device, untimely replacement of the magnesium anode, ignoring the scale in the tank and improper operation of the water heating unit.
Why the boiler does not heat water: troubleshooting, troubleshooting
Accumulation water heaters allow you to use hot liquid all year round, so such units are installed in private homes, apartments, cottages. This equipment is convenient and functional, but because of the complexity of the design, unfavorable working conditions and intensive operation, trouble also happens with it. For example, sometimes the device refuses to work, giving the owners a serious inconvenience. It is understandable that a person, accustomed to the comfort, wants to know why the boiler does not heat water. There are several reasons for the “strike” of the water heater. To have a chance to restore the work of the unit by your own efforts, with the possible sources of problems the master needs to get acquainted.
Why the boiler does not heat water
Such a household appliance as a water heater is very popular. Convenient and not demanding in servicing, it has found its application in both private houses and apartments. However, not everything is as smooth as it may seem, and sometimes owners are faced with the incorrect operation of the equipment. The reasons why, for example, from the boiler does not go when you open the faucet hot water, may be different. When a malfunction occurs, you should not panic and change the device for a new one, in most cases, the breakdowns can be repaired.
Why in the water heater does not get water?
often than not, the equipment works intermittently or stops heating water altogether due to a reason:
- Use water of poor quality. In apartment buildings, it is usually rigid.
- The electric wiring is damaged.
- The installation was carried out with gross violations.
- Violate the rules of operation. Ignoring the recommendations in the manual is not a good idea.
The heating element, as a rule, goes out of operation because of the fact that all is covered with scale. Or the thermal button is defective, no water supply due to a broken fuse valve.
It happens that the heating element does not work when the emergency cutoffs are activated due to the scale on it or the maximum power on the tank. The problem may also be in the electronic module. We do not advise to change it without the help of a craftsman.
To name the exact reason why the water heater does not heat, you need to examine the device. First of all, look at the indicator (lamp), it should light up when the water heats. Set the temperature to a higher level. The next steps depend on the situation.
If the water does not warm, but the light bulbs light up, it means that the problem is with the heating element. You need to take a multimeter, set the resistance and connect to the heater. If you see zero. there was a short circuit. And when the infinity sign appeared, it means a breakage.
Also read: What kind of high pressure washer to choose: expert advice
Another sign, which indicates that the water heater does not heat water and you need to replace the heating element, when the water heater turns on and immediately turns off. Finding this fault is not difficult. The thermostat button is stuck when the heater is off. If the heater starts to work, the heating element should be cleaned or replaced with a new one.
And do not forget that deposits appear on the heating element when the anode does not perform its functions. Before replacing the heating element, you need to check that the rod works properly.
You need to get a tester and check if the thermostat has 220V voltage. If the thermal protection is working, then the connection can be made to the heater.
Is there voltage?? Then turn off the unit, remove the thermostat and test the circuit by turning the thermostat. If the storage water heater does not work on the line at zero and phase, you need a replacement.
The heater doesn’t heat, the indicator light is on
When the water heater does not heat water, but the indicator light is on the malfunction can be fixed in two ways:
- Check that the knob is not on minimum setting, thus preventing the temperature from rising higher. If so, turn the knob clockwise.
- Check that the thermostat is not activated. Heat protection button must be pressed.
The list may vary, depending on the specifics of the appliance and the conditions in which you operate.
Water heater doesn’t heat, light doesn’t go on: what to do?
There are several reasons why the water heater does not turn on in this case:
- Heating element breakage.
- Scale build up on the heating element.
- Faulty fuse valve.
- The electronic board is out of order.
In case of any of the above-mentioned malfunctions, you need to drain the water from the tank and disassemble the device. All parts are tested one by one with a multimeter, tester, voltage tester.
The water heater does not heat water to maximum temperature
The reason why the water heater does not heat water to the maximum, the THEN. Especially often, therefore, older models of gas water heaters and electric ones do not work.
Also read: Tips for proper care of vacuum cleaners at home
In general, the heating element can not work properly forever, usually its service life of 4-5 years. And inevitably, during operation, limescale is formed, which does not allow water to heat properly.
There may be a short circuit or breakage, which is checked with a multimeter. Also, the heating element can burn out completely, in which case you should definitely put a new one.
Another cause of heating element failure is the thermostat, it can also be replaced.
Weak pressure of hot water from a water heater Termex. Why does the water heater does not flow or hot water does not come. Why the water doesn’t come out of the water heater
Water heaters are used as the main or additional source of hot water in apartments and country houses. A complex device can fail for various reasons, breakdowns deliver a lot of household inconvenience and require urgent elimination. Let’s take a closer look at why the water heater does not flow cold water, for what reason the pressure can decrease and why there are difficulties with heating.
Causes of leaking boilers of different companies
Most manufacturers pay attention to the quality of boilers, so leaks due to factory defects are rare. Most often, such a problem arises from improper installation and operation. At the same time, the products of each brand are characterized by some types of breakdowns.
Thermex boilers often leak from the bottom of the tank due to damage to the bulb covering the heating element. In this case you need to disconnect the device from the mains and remove the lid. Then the fissures are soldered. It is possible to apply cold welding. In addition, leakage often occurs due to the detachment of the flange gasket, as well as with damage to the fum-tape that ensures tightness of joints. In this case it is necessary to connect all elements of the boiler.
Devices for heating water from the company “Ariston” are popular, so about their common breakdowns are already known a lot. Leaks in such devices often occur because of a factory defect, as well as improper transportation, as a result of a strong blow there is a violation of the integrity of welds. This leads to the fact that water begins to drip from the bottom immediately after installation or within a few days.
In addition, the breakdown can occur due to the lack of a safety plastic valve or too high pressure in the water supply network. This leads to a discrepancy in the welds of the tank. The possibility of repair depends on the extent of damage. To prevent such a defect, a pressure reducer should be installed when installing the appliance.
Frequently occur breakdowns of boilers “Baksi”, “Zanusi”, “Bosch”, etc.д. The most common causes of malfunction are incorrect installation and hard water. Lack of a safety valve is another common cause of rapid failure of the unit. Water hammer results in breach of the integrity of the tank. Factory defects in the models of these manufacturers are rare.