Soda for washing laundry in an automatic washing machine
For washing in the washing machine with baking soda, try to prepare special gels:
Soda soap gel. Rub a piece of laundry soap on a fine grater, so that you get 50-60 grams. shavings. Pour the shavings into 1 liter. of water, put a container with the product on a water bath, bring the product to a boil. Add 45 grams. washing soda, stir the components until completely dissolved. Allow the gel to cool, drop 2-4 drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance. Per 5 kg. You need 2 tbsp of laundry!л. ready-to-use gel.
In addition to washing, using baking soda can also lighten things: for example, make dark blue jeans a few shades lighter. For brightening, pour 2 tsp. of.л. Caustic soda and wash your jeans on a normal washing cycle.
By the way, shoes do not like washing in the machine, try washing them with baking soda by hand. this is a good way to eliminate the bad smell inside. We wrote more about recipes here.
This is one of the most important factors in the distribution of detergent. The normal amount per 1kg is around 25 grams. If your clothes have a medium to high level of dirt. use the recommendations described above.
It is established by experience that the things will be effectively cleaned when using two tablespoons of gel. This amount will work well for owners of washing machines with a load of 3-5kg. If the machine has a load of 6-7 pounds, it is better to take 3-4 tablespoons. To answer the question exactly where to pour the liquid powder, it is difficult.
We think the answer is obvious. correctly measure the dose of the product for each load of laundry in the drum. Important: often the manufacturer overestimates the dose of powder per wash cycle, so trust the information on the label is not always appropriate. So, the average dose of liquid laundry detergent in most cases is 75-150 ml.
Follow the product’s instructions for use if in doubt. Vernel’s iron rule of thumb states that about half a capful of laundry conditioner should be used per 4kg load.
How to calculate the amount of detergent for one wash cycle
Many housewives believe that there is a golden rule, which states: the more, the better. Probably in some other domestic situations and it works, but not in our case. Most housewives believe that the amount of powder that is poured into the tray depends on the quality of the washed laundry. Partly, at first glance, it would seem that this is the case. But that’s not quite right.
Excessive use of detergent can lead to negative consequences:
- Excessive use of detergent can leave white streaks on your clothes.
- Failure to rinse the trough properly will cause it to clog.
- Bad smell from the drum.
So what does the manufacturer advise?? On each package of detergent are written recommendations for the use of the powder in the washing machine. Do not rush blindly into following the manufacturer’s instructions, because the manufacturer has several goals. The first is to keep the customer. The second is to force the consumer to use as much powder as possible in the home, so that it runs out faster and we are forced to go to the store for a new pack.
Let’s figure out what factors you should pay attention to when pouring the powder into a special container:
- Condition of the laundry. Degree of soiling and presence of stains. It is important to understand that the amount of detergent poured in does not always positively impact the quality of the washed clothes. Some stains do not require detergent alone, stain removers may be necessary.
- The hardness of the water definitely affects the quality of washing. As you know, in hard water, the foam is formed worse, which affects the result. That’s why some manufacturers add softeners to the powder.
- The amount of dirty laundry is a weighty argument in calculating the required amount of powder.
- Water consumption per wash. The amount of water the machine uses to perform the selected task depends on the selected washing mode and type of fabric.
Important! When choosing a mode and loading in the wash fabrics of certain materials, such as wool, do not forget that in these cases requires a special powder.
Type of detergent
In addition to laundry detergent, manufacturers offer a variety of gels, tablets and capsules. You can’t save money by using tablets or capsules. In the case of a concentrated gel, the manufacturer’s instructions indicate a consumption of 100 ml per cycle. In practice, a tablespoon of concentrated gel is enough for high-quality washing.
In addition, unspent powder can remain in the tray, forming a persistent deposit, or clog the drain filter. That inevitably leads to a breakdown of household appliances in the future.
Excessive savings can give the opposite effect. badly washed laundry and unpleasant smells on it.
To understand how to determine the powder dosage, you need to understand that there are several factors that affect the amount of powder.
- Water hardness.
- The degree of loading of the washing machine for a particular washing mode and drum volume.
- The level of soiling of the laundry and the use of additional laundry detergents.
- Type of detergent.
- Type of fabric.
- Additional functions and capabilities of the washing machine.
Models of washing machines on the Russian market have different loading volumes of laundry. Among the population, the most popular are 5-7kg. Usually the manufacturer indicates the information on water consumption and maximum load in kilograms in the instruction to each washing mode.
As mentioned earlier 25 grams of detergent per 1 kg of laundry detergents are needed. But there is a small peculiarity here. With an incomplete drum load, the water consumption is not reduced. Consequently, the concentration of the powder in the water will be less, if you fill it, focusing only on the weight of the laundry. This can lead to a deterioration in washing quality.
Technology does not stand still, and manufacturers regularly present automatic washing machines with the latest developments that improve the washing process.
- The function of weighing the laundry. These machines add a very useful option that allows you to reduce the consumption of detergent when the drum is not fully loaded. In this case, the amount of powder required is equal to the number of kilograms of laundry to be washed (25 grams of detergent per 1 kg);
- Steam treatment of items. Steam washing dissolves powder as quickly as possible. Stale stains disappear instantly from fabrics without the need for pre-soaking or extra detergents. This feature saves powder by penetrating deep into fabric structure, which means you don’t need to overdo the amount of detergent for heavily soiled laundry.
- Eco Bubble Function. The foam generator of such a washing machine when mixing the powder with water saturates it with air bubbles. This technology dispenses a ready-to-use, homogeneous foam mixture into the drum. It allows the detergent to penetrate fabric fibres as quickly as possible, making it easier to remove stubborn stains.
Summarizing the above, it is not difficult to figure out how much powder to pour into the washing machine. We can say that more powder does not mean that the laundry will be cleaner. And new technologies and detergents improve the quality of laundry.
How much detergent to pour into the washing machine
Today, taking into account individual preferences and comfort, the consumer is trying to buy a product in powders, gels, capsules and even tablets. Then the proportions of consumption will be changed.
In the latter two cases, everything is much simpler. one dose per washing cycle. But with concentrated gel compositions, the case is more complicated.
If you follow the manufacturer’s advice, you should pour up to one hundred grams of gel per load. But this approach forces to spend a higher amount of means and, consequently, to buy it more often. And the likelihood of divorces appearing on things is quite high.
Experts advise to use a different rate of consumption. for the next wash pour no more than one tablespoon of the product. If the water is very hard, double the recommended allowance.
Today, according to our convenience and wishes, we can buy not only detergent in powder form, but also in gel, capsules or tablets. In this case the proportions will be slightly different. If everything is clear with tablets and capsules. one wash-one tablet. then with a concentrated gel is not so clear.
In the case of excessively hard water, the amount of detergent consumed can be increased to two spoonfuls.
Choosing the right concentration, you can achieve perfect cleanliness and freshness. The amount of powder depends on several factors that should be considered when choosing the dosage.
First of all, you need to pay attention to the water hardness. You can determine the hardness of your water by using special test strips. Clothes are easier to wash in soft water, but not as much detergent is used. In hard water, you need to add 20 grams more detergent. Also, to protect the machine from breakage, you need to use a softener or mix the powder with baking soda.
The hardness can be determined by using a bar of laundry soap. Try to get a foam from laundry soap. If it is hard to foam, it means the water is hard.
To remove limescale
Look at the coil of your kettle. If there is a lot of limescale on it, it indicates that the water has a high hardness. When heated, the large amount of salt in hard water deposits on the water coils and scale appears.
Degree of contamination
To freshen laundry, you’ll need about 160 grams of detergent (if the drum is fully loaded). To remove stains and heavy soiling, you’ll need about 210 grams of powder.
Relationship between consumption rate and weight
The dependence of the amount of powder on the weight of things loaded in the machine can be expressed as a list:
- 1 kg. 25 grams of powder;
- 5 kg. 75 grams;
- 4 kg. 100 grams;
- 5 kg. 140 grams;
- 6 kg. 175 grams;
- 7 kg. 210 grams.
The amount of water consumed per cycle
The quality of washing depends directly on the chosen dosage of the powder. But if you pour too much detergent into the machine, it will not bring the desired result. On the contrary, the items may get light stains. The amount of water that the washing machine consumes per cycle depends on the brand of the device.
In addition, the amount of water consumed depends on the mode in which the machine works, and the capacity of the tank.
A normal washing machine with 5-7kg capacity uses about 60 liters of water in 1 cycle.
If the product is concentrated
When choosing the dosage of the powder, you need to take into account its type. For example, if 1 kilogram of clothes needs 25 grams of standard detergent, then 6 kilograms of laundry only 50 grams of concentrated powder should be put.
When more does not help
A large amount of powder will not help wash stains that can only be washed with a stain remover. Also, if you pour too much detergent, the machine tray can get clogged.
What Factors Affect Powder Consumption?
The detergent box usually has recommended dosages.
The following factors influence detergent consumption.
When buying products in a store, whether it is food or household chemicals, be sure to read the packaging. But the figures given in the instructions are recommended for washing very dirty laundry in water of high hardness. That is, the figures are increased in relation to a simple wash. Manufacturers may misrepresent how much powder to put in the washing machine for one wash, so that users will use up their purchase faster and go for a new batch. On average, the norm is one tablespoon or 15-25 grams of powder per 1 kg of dry laundry without serious soiling. For deep cleaning 1.5 2 tablespoons of detergent per 1 kg of clothes is enough.
The marking in the container
In the dispenser for washing powder there is a mark above which it is not necessary to add the detergent in order not to break the equipment. This does not mean that you need to add detergent strictly in line with the mark, this is the level of powder consumption in the washing machine at the maximum level of soiling of the laundry.
Another parameter that affects how much powder to pour into the washing machine is the hardness of the water. Hard water has almost no foam because of the large accumulation of metal salts, calcium and magnesium. There are special test strips for determining the softness of water. For hard water, the consumption of normal detergent is increased by half or two times. There are powders with water softeners.
Degree of contamination of things
To wash things after very long use, with sweat stains and frayed collars and sleeves, you will have to put in the detergent dispenser 20-50% more than usual. Better results are achieved if you pre-soak and rinse the laundry. Stubborn stains may not come out, then you have to buy a bleach or stain remover.
Volume of items loaded in the washer
The amount of clothes put in the drum determines how much detergent to put in the washer. The amount of detergent is proportional to the weight of the clothes loaded into the machine, not the drum capacity. That is, if the detergent consumption per 1kg of laundry is 25g, then for 5kg of laundry you need to add 5 times the amount.
Another factor influencing the powder consumption is the choice of economy mode of the machine.
- Steam Washing. The detergent dissolves before the washing in the steam cloud, so you can save and put less of it, and in the short-term steaming mode do not put it at all. The steam in the drum disinfects things at high temperature and destroys stains, saving the housewife from pre-soiling.
- Eco Bubble. soap solution washing mode with air bubbles. Powder dissolves almost instantly in the oxygenated water and then enters the drum. Bubbles penetrate the fibers of your clothes, stain-reducing and streak-free. This program saves time and energy; clothes are washed evenly and detergent is fully washed as it is rinsed. By fully mixing the detergent, it is possible to use less of it.
Type of detergent
When loading the powder, it is convenient to use the dispenser.
The most popular are the usual dry powders, familiar from childhood. They do not immediately dissolve in water and take a long time to rinse out. Their advantages include the following:
- Not afraid of high water temperature, which is important for washing natural fabrics. linen and cotton;
- Able to wash stubborn stains and very dirty things;
- Sold in large economical packages;
- They are not expensive.
The liquid powders dissolve almost immediately, even in cold water, do not leave any stains and do not destroy the structure of the most delicate fabrics. These products are great for delicate washing of lightly soiled laundry.
- Do not cause allergies;
- Frequent use is possible due to the sparing effect on the fabrics;
- Do not damage the drum of the washing machine;
- You don’t need a measuring spoon, you can measure with the cap;
- Gels are easier to store. they cannot accidentally spill out, they are not afraid of moisture.
Concentrated laundry detergents have more active ingredients and fewer fillers. They are heavy and weigh more than a normal powder of the same volume, which means that for a standard wash you need to put them less.
Washer Detergent. How Much?
- Produce less foam than dry powders;
- Easy to rinse out of clothes and out of the drum of the washing machine;
- Reduce the risk of fouling on appliance parts;
- Economical. a pack of concentrate replaces 3 to 10 packs of regular powder;
- Stains will wash out, but the fabric will not thin out or discolour.
How much detergent to put in your washing machine?
The amount of household detergent is usually listed on the package. This information can be used in some cases, but a much smaller amount of detergent is needed for a standard wash. The reason manufacturers quote incorrect data is simple. any business is interested in increasing sales.
In this way, popular brands not only help themselves, but also provide a huge service to the creators of household appliances. After all, an excessive amount of detergent can also damage the washing machine.
Determining the amount of powder to wash
Excess detergent has the following consequences:
- blurred white traces on clothes, it looks especially unpleasant on dark fabrics;
- detergent drawer breakage. During washing, not all the powder is washed out of the tray, which leads to wet substance buildup, rust and mildew;
- an unpleasant chemical odor from the machine or from the laundry;
- clogged drain filter.
In order to prolong the life of the washing machine, you need to adhere to the following general rules:
- To determine the maximum fill level, pay attention to the markings on the tray. It should be understood that it does not take into account the degree of loading and water quality, so the marking can only serve as a guide to determine the maximum detergent.
- When choosing a new powder, pay attention to the way it is used. Hand washing detergent contains a high proportion of substances that contribute to the formation of abundant foam. This peculiarity has a negative impact on machine washing. The fact that excess foam can settle on the working parts of the appliances, accelerating its wear and tear.
- Pay attention to the composition of the detergent. It is necessary to avoid ingredients such as chlorine and solvents, as they negatively affect the rubber elements of the automatic laundry.
Pouring the detergent into the tray
Marking in the bin
If you pay attention to the powder container in any washing machine, you will see a little mark. This is the designation up to which you need to fill the detergent. But don’t rush to be guided only by the mark. When calculating the required amount of powder, manufacturers take as a criterion clothes with stubborn stains. In addition, it is unknown what kind of powder was used in the experiments: concentrated or not.