Choose an hood for the kitchen: what you need to know
It is difficult to imagine a modern kitchen without hood. It is especially necessary in the studio apartment where the kitchen is not separated from the living room. A powerful exhaust device will come in handy and passionate lovers of cooking, who spend a lot of time after creating culinary masterpieces. It will help to remove smells, evaporation and harmful combustion products from the kitchen. As well as prevent the appearance of soot and oily dirt on the ceiling and kitchen furniture.
The effectiveness of the hood depends on many parameters, so you should carefully approach the choice. Let’s figure out what you need to pay attention to when choosing an exhaust device.
Criteria for choosing a good hood
How to calculate performance, you already know. But the resulting figure will not be entirely correct. It is important to understand that the coefficient of 10-12 will give a result, in which the hood with the corresponding parameters should work at its maximum. And, therefore, at the peak level of volume and with full load on the motor. The type of hob is also important. For electric panels and plates, it is better to calculate with an increase in the coefficient up to 15, and for gas up to 20. The length of the ventilation route, the presence of bends, as well as the diameter of the pipe or cross section of the box, additionally affect the effectiveness of air exchange.
The mode of operation
Most hoods are connected to the ventilation system of the kitchen. In the withdrawal mode, they remove air along with smells and evaporation outside the room. Many popular models also support the circulation mode. When the air is cleaned with filters and returns back to the room. Filters need to be changed regularly (every 4-6 months). This mode is convenient in winter. To maintain heat in the room. There are trains designed for operation only in circulation mode. Such “hoods without ventilation” have very interesting designs and unusual design. There are models that are built into the table, wall hoods, suspended, etc. But the cost of hoods without ventilation is quite high. Mainly from 1000 and more expensive. So they did not become popular.
For efficient operation, the width of the hood should be no less than the width of the stove. Most often, hoods are produced 50, 60 and 90 cm wide.
Too noisy hoods are able to turn the stay in the kitchen into a nightmare, therefore, choosing an hood, pay special attention to the maximum indicator. It is desirable that it does not exceed 60 dB. It applies to all hoods: the declared performance and noise level correspond to the minimum duration of the duct, equal to the length of the outlet pipe of the hood. With a different connection (for example, using a flexible corrugated duct), the noise level may increase, performance. Fall.
Many manufacturers equip their hoods with brightness adjustment for maximum comfort, and in some models this function is absent.
Installation of hoods
How to install an hood independently? The brief instruction presented below will help in the correct installation of equipment.
- Depending on the configuration, a household device will need to be mounted in a special box that is already available for hoods or it must be purchased independently. When ordering a cabinet, remember that it should not have a bottom.
- Pre.Cut the hole of a certain diameter under the air duct in the upper cabinet cover. In the case of independent manufacture of this element, you should clearly adhere to the size of the hood, because it should easily fit in your home.Made product.
- Using special fasteners and tools, the hood is installed quite quickly. As a rule, it is attached to the upper or middle shelf. If there are no shelves, then you can attach the device to the side walls. In this case, in the process of installation, the drawing panel must remain visible.
- Next, it is necessary to attach the duct passed through the hole in the upper cover. With the final fixation of the household appliance, attach the duct to the ventilation shaft and cut the excess before the fasteners.
- Install the cabinet above the hob.
- Connect the plug of the device to the power supply network (it is recommended to ground it before using the hood).
The quality of the hood is directly dependent on filters. Distinguish fat and coal models.
Perform the function of the fat manner and are placed by default in any extract. The fat filter protects the mechanisms and internal surfaces from deposits, increasing the service life of the device.
- Disposable models are made of synthetic materials (acrylic, synthetic winterizer). If they are polluted, they are changed to new.
- Reusable filters are made of metal (aluminum or stainless steel). After contamination, it is enough to wash them and insert them back.
Coal filter filters perfectly neutralize odors, so they are often put in addition to metallic recirculation mode. As a rule, they must be changed every 2-3 months of use.
IKEA carbon filters can be washed and restored every 3-4 months (or more often with intensive use of hoods); A maximum of 8 cycles of filter regeneration are allowed (in the case of especially intensive use of the device, it is recommended to restore the filter no more than 5 times).
How to choose an hood for the kitchen: tips of professionals, errors when choosing
Even if ventilation works well in the house, it is quite difficult to do without an exhaust device. During the preparation of fried or stewed dishes, various smells will penetrate the living rooms. Before you decide which hood is better, you should get acquainted with all possible execution options. It is important to understand that if one model is ideal for one interior, then in another it will not be appropriate.
The principle of operation of the kitchen hood is an important selection criterion
When choosing an extract to a private house, it should be remembered that the principle of operation of the devices may differ. Manufacturers offer two types:
- Recirculation.Exposures without diverting in ventilation include special filters and a compulsory ventilation system placed inside the case. In the process, such devices pass contaminated air through filters, and after cleaning they are returned back to the room. It is worth buying an hood with a coal filter without a divert for a room in which it is difficult to connect in the hood;
- Protect. Involves connecting to the duct. With the help of an air vent for hoods, fresh air is supplied to the kitchen and compressively removed by contaminated;
- Combined. Such models can work alternately in one of the listed modes. You can go into recirculation mode or clean the air through the air vent.
Cleaning contaminated air in the device connected to the duct is carried out in the following sequence:
, Located in the bottom of the case, holds the incoming dirt and the formed soot;
- The motor located above provides fan operation;
- The duct connected to the upper part of the device provides air removal outside the house or inside the ventilation shaft.
If you have a choice, it is worth preferring an hood with a challenge with a coal filter. Such a model will allow you to quickly get rid of not only soot and fat, but also smell.
Coal filter and discharge. The best solution
We get acquainted with the main types of hoods for the kitchen
The exhaust device must harmoniously fit into the interior. Manufacturers offer a variety of models, among which it is always easy to choose the right option for their home. With a competent approach, the hood will become stylish elements of the interior, adding expressiveness to the design of the room, or will not be noticeable to others.
Depending on how the installation is carried out, the exhaust device can be:
- Wall. They are placed directly above the hob at the wall. Many prefer a built.In exhale for the kitchen. Mounted directly in the kitchen set, thereby allowing to more rationally dispose of the existing working space. Preferred option for rooms with a low ceiling. Wall models can also be partially built.In or telescopic.;
- Island. Installation work is characterized by the highest cost. The island ceiling hood for the kitchen is placed in the center. The option is relevant for large spacious rooms. The island exhaust device is attached to the ceiling and connected to the vertical air duct. They often act as a designer decoration of the kitchen;
- Corner. The hood is attached to the wall in the corner of the room. A small assortment significantly reduces the demand for such products.
Those who decide which hood to choose for the kitchen, reviews will help make the right choice. It is advisable to find out the opinion of those users who have used the device for some time. Thanks to their opinion, it will be possible to understand how much the specific device is convenient in operation. Some, having learned the opinions of other people, decide to refuse to buy a device that has a specific constructive performance.
Model capabilities without allocation are limited
See How Easily You Can Set Up Your Studio Apartment
Among the models offered by numerous manufacturers, you can choose a design:
- Dome. Mounted above the stove, forming a kind of dome. It has a fairly large dimensions and an attractive appearance. It is ideal for those who pay attention to the functionality of the device, want to see the kitchen beautiful. Such an extract looks like an expensive fireplace;
- Hidden. A practical model mounted directly inside the kitchen furniture. Only a small part of the product with the control panel is visible to the user. With a competent approach, the cabinet in which the device is located can be used for other purposes. A relatively inexpensive option, which will appreciate those who seek to save the existing space;
- Telescopic. Mounted hidden. During operation, a panel is put forward with fat filters located on it;
- Flat. The design works in circulation mode. The easiest option. Installation does not cause special difficulties, since you can refuse to connect to the ventilation system. Mounted parallel to the stove directly on the wall;
- T-shaped. A characteristic form that makes the hood like an inverted letter “t”. It is supposed to be attached to a fairly wide box;
- Boxed. The choice of lovers of minimalism. Outwardly resembles a pipe or simple box. Installation is performed in the center of the premises by island method.
The dimensions of the hoods for the kitchen. How to choose the right?
In order for the installed device to work effectively with the task assigned to it, you should be responsible for choosing its dimensions. When determining the size of the kitchen hood, you should focus on the parameters of the kitchen plate or the hob. Given that the width of the latter is in the range of 45. 90 cm, manufacturers of exhaust devices offer models with standard parameters of 50, 60, 90 and 120 cm.
Why does the hood serve and how
The device works on the principle of ventilation of the forced type. It removes combustion products from the air, as well as unpleasant odors and evaporation. But in the kitchen, when you cook, neither smells nor spraying fat is avoided.
Inside the hood there is a system of special filters that capture evaporation, smells and soot. In addition, it has a compulsory ventilation system. All this is enclosed in the case on which the control panel is located, either electronic or mechanical type. Depending on how the air is cleaned, extracts are the following two types:
Recirculation hoods are cleaned with filters polluted air, and then released it back into the room.
An example of a recirculation hood and the principle of its work.
Devices of a flow type are sucked in dirty air, clean it from fat and soot, and then release out through the external ventilation system.
An example of a running hood and the principle of its work.
The hood is usually fixed on the ceiling or wall above the stove. Sometimes she is hidden in a hinged cabinet, open from below. It looks very aesthetically pleasing. The device can be seen only by specially looking there.
As for the ceiling and wall hoods, they are made so as to organically fit into the design of the kitchen. Air cleaners attached to the wall can be made in the form of a fireplace or a neat visor. Sometimes in such a visor there is a extending screen with a filter inside.
Which hood is better to choose for the kitchen
If you can not think much about the design of the hood, the benefit in the market is quite different models with their colors and sizes, then special attention should be paid to the effectiveness of its work. The quality of the functions performed by it depends on this.
First of all, you need to decide on the type of device. Select or running. At the same time, without a preliminary assessment of the room, it is unambiguous to say which kitchen hoods are better to use for it. Each fulfills its tasks and is good in its place.
This device received this name since it simply makes the air circulate around the room, riding it from extraneous smells by passing through the coal filter, which is located inside the hood itself.
In addition to a coal filter, fatteners are installed in such an extract.
60 Studio Apartment Ideas
The principle of its work determines all the positive and negative aspects of this design.
- The ability to use in houses with a clogged ventilation system or simply designed for small traction and unnecessary with the capabilities of modern hoods.
- Such a device can be placed anywhere and you do not have to pull the corrugation from the ventilation shaft. It also opens up wide opportunities for designers. Such an extract can be hidden in a countertop or a falsehood.
- With air recirculation, it is not required to create severe traction, which means that the devices can be more compact and more economical in terms of electricity consumption.
- With lower loads on the engine, which is the main component of the hood, the total service life of the device increases.
- The location of the cooking slab is not tied to the ventilation shaft.
- The need to purchase consumables-depending on the intensity of using the hood, carbon filters must be changed about once every six months or a year.
- We will have to regularly wash the fat filter. It is a small metal mesh, which is installed in the lower part of the hood and is cleaned in running water or dishwasher.
- The circulation hood does not make sense to put on a gas stove. In the process of combustion of gas, oxygen from the air is converted into carbon monoxide (COMA), which the hood will simply drive around the kitchen. Recirculation in this case becomes not only ineffective, but also dangerous to health.
The main difference between such a device is that for effective work it definitely needs access to a ventilation shaft. The hood is mounted either directly near its hole, or is connected with it with a corrugated triber, which is done as short as possible. The smaller it is, the quieter the work of the hood. For this reason, a device of this type is somewhat limited at the installation site. On the wall above the stove or ceiling.
The principle of operation of the device is quite simple. The fan pumps the air and draws it out of the room by forming a kind of draft, which is formed when the window is open, only the air does not spin through the kitchen, but is blown away by the fan into the ventilation shaft or immediately outside, if a separate ventilation hole in the kitchen wall is made for the hood.
Since dirty air is taken out into the street, there is no need to use coal filters, but so that particles of fat and soot are not polluted by the insides of the hood itself, the fat filter is still placed on it. It must be washed periodically. It depends on the purity of this part how much the hood will work efficiently and quietly.
Due to the need for ventilation installation, running hoods are best installed during repair work in the kitchen and when planning it separately calculate its location. Particular attention should be paid to the duct. Ideally, it should be a straight line for a trimmer without bends and turns.
If they have, the air will bury strongly inside the pipe and the use of the hood will be at least not comfortable. In general, according to the principle of operation, it is clear which hood for a gas stove is better. In this case, only running should be installed. Almost all models of running hoods can be launched in recirculation mode. For this, a coal filter is installed on the output and the device is ready to work.
- The ability to make powerful, high.Performance devices.
- There are no consumables that need systematic replacement. The used fat filters are almost eternal.
- The hood can be hidden in kitchen furniture.
- Noisiness is lower than that of circulation analogues.
- Since the hood essentially pumps out the air from the kitchen, another should flow in its place, for which it is necessary to leave the open window or think through the ventilation on the air supply.
- The consequence of the previous drawback. In winter, the hood removes warm air from the room, replacing it with cold, and in the summer, on the contrary, on the contrary.
- If the plate is (or will be installed) far from the ventilation hole, large.Scale installation work is inevitable.
What to choose the design of the hood and the type of installation
Here the issue of design comes to the fore, because the fundamentally internal device of all hoods is the same. The main differences are the power of the engines, the assembly quality and the used lighting of the working area.
Suspended. Mostly, these are budget options for devices. They differ in small engine power, but at the same time the most economical in terms of energy consumption. The simplicity of the design determines the cost of such hoods and the simplicity of their installation.
Most often it is a case with 60x50x15 dimensions, the lower part of which consists of fat filters, and an engine is located inside. The duct is on the upper or rear cover.
What power is needed hood?
The power of the hood for the kitchen, or rather, its performance, is the main criterion for choosing. Especially if the device is bought for a large room or studio apartment. Without making preliminary calculations, you risk acquiring a beautiful, but absolutely useless device that will only spend in vain electricity.
To correctly calculate performance, you should measure the area of your kitchen and the height of its ceilings. According to the rules approved by sanitary standards, the air in the room should be cleaned at least 12 times per hour. Based on this, you can derive a simple formula:
The result obtained suggests that the exhaust device will constantly work on maximum mode. This is very undesirable for several reasons. Firstly, due to the level of noise, which intensifies depending on the speed of work. And secondly, due to the rapid production of the motor resource. Therefore, another 15% must be added to the resulting figure.
The above formula gives averaged indicators of the power of the kitchen hood. To get more accurate results, it is necessary to take into account some complicating factors. For example, if you have a studio apartment or a kitchen united with a dining room, when calculating, you should take into account the area of all adjacent premises.
If a gas stove is installed in the kitchen, air exchange coefficient should be replaced from 12 to 20. When connecting the device to the duct, the length, cross section and number of bends of the ventilation duct should be taken into account. In this case, experts advise to increase the result by 1.5-2 times. It is worth taking into account the resistance provided by a coal filter, increasing the power by another 30-40%.
Method of fastening
The best way to fasten the hood for studio kitchen is the built.In. Similar models are installed inside the suspended furniture, so they are completely hidden from the eyes of people. Built.In equipment is ideal for rooms where space saving is important.
Recently, retractable models that are built into the countertop are also particularly popular. They are sold at a higher price in comparison with other varieties, but it will be possible to hide the equipment under the countertop, and the place over the stove will be completely free.
Thus, modern manufacturers of household appliances offer to familiarize themselves with a huge assortment of exhaust devices with their own design, functionality and size. Sometimes people face difficulties and have no idea how to determine the suitable model for their kitchen in the studio. In this case, an ideal option would be to analyze all the criteria for selection individually.