How to Clean a Dust Tray in a Washing Machine with Baking Soda
Soda is an environmentally friendly detergent. It is completely safe for the washing machine.
How to Remove & Clean Detergent Dispenser Tray on LG Front Load Washing Machines-Date: 10/1/2020
How to clean the powder tray with baking soda:
- Stir four tablespoons of baking soda in a glass of hot water;
- Pour the solution into the powder tray and leave it for 2-3 hours;
- Remove the detergent, wash the tray with a sponge;
- Rinse with clean water and wipe dry.
How to clean the powder tray in a washing machine
Automatic washing machine. this is one of the most commonly used pieces of household equipment in the house. Along with the refrigerator, stove, and microwave oven, it is an integral part of the human household. But here’s the problem, exploiting their “home helper” mercilessly, people often forget that it needs care. In this article, the master plumber will tell you how to clean the powder tray in the washing machine.
Automatic washing machine tray is quite a dirty place, in some cases, the tray is clogged with detergent so that the water stops flowing into it and wash away the powder, dirtier only in the tank, drain pipes and the drain hose.
Unlike the tank and drain nipples, which are more difficult to reach, the tray is much easier to clean, because it is in full view. In fact, it turns out that quite a few automatic washing machine users do not know how to pull the tray and never thought about cleaning it.
If your machine tray is not too dirty, then you can clean it without taking it out. But if the dirt is strong enough, then for your own convenience, as well as for better cleaning, it is better to remove the container. This process may be difficult for beginners, but as you become accustomed to your machine model, you will be able to remove the tray with one deft movement of your hands.
The dispenser trays are arranged differently in different models of machines. So before you take this part out of your washing machine, read the manual carefully.
In order to remove the tray, you usually need to do so:
Now that the dispenser is in your hands, you can use one of the following ways to clean it.
What to do when washing the powder compartment:
- Don’t rub the litter tray with too much effort. This can cause the marks in the compartments to rub off.
- Wipe the area where the container was removed with a cloth or sponge from the inside. Pay special attention to the holes of water supply and detergent outlet to the drum.
- Choosing aggressive cleaning products, you should work with rubber gloves.
- In machines with vertical load laundry trays do not pull out. The water used to rinse them flows directly into the drum. Therefore, you must be careful, otherwise you could cause a small flood.
Remove the tray and soak it with a stream of slightly hot water. Rub thoroughly with a sponge or brush. For more cleaning effect, you can apply dishwashing liquid or soap solution (dissolve shavings of laundry soap in water). Then rinse it out again.
If the dispenser still has dirt on it, you can leave it to soak in hot water for a couple of hours and then repeat the cleaning process.
It may turn out that lime scale and hardened powder can not be cleaned in the usual physical way, then chemical cleaning with special agents will come to the rescue.
The following products are good at dealing with contamination of the dispenser and other parts of the washing machine:
- “Eona”, “Dr. Ten”, “Antikidpin” will help in case of light soiling.
- Frisch-aktiv removes dirt and lime deposits as well as unpleasant odors.
- Sandokkaeb and Bork K8P (Korean means) are able to cope even with quite strong pollution.
Remove hard-to-clean deposits by soaking. The powder tray removed from the machine is placed in hot water with one of the products added, e.g. Domestos, Comet, Silit, Toilet Duck, Sanfor Antirust. Dissolve it in water (50 ml per 5 liters of water) and soak the tray. After 1.5-2.5 hours, rub it with a brush and rinse under running warm water.
If you have no household chemicals at hand, or their use is unacceptable to you, you can use folk remedies:
- Baking soda is an all-purpose cleaner. For small dirt s it will be enough to prepare a soda solution (soda and water in the proportion of 1:1), moisten a rag in it and wipe dirty areas. Baking soda is especially good at fighting mold. If you need to “defeat” stubborn stains, prepare a paste of baking soda and apply it to the entire surface of the tray. After 30-40 minutes, wipe.
- Citric acid is a traditional folk remedy for limescale. To clean the powder and conditioner tray, pour citric acid into the compartment and turn on the empty machine. The temperature setting for this procedure should be 60 degrees or higher. Along with the tray, other elements of the machine will be cleaned from limescale.
- Vinegar copes well with lime scale. To treat the tray we use 9% table vinegar. Dilute a glass of acetic acid in 1 liter of hot water and soak the tray in this solution for 6-8 hours. After the procedure wipe with a kitchen sponge and rinse well. You will need to prepare more than one liter of solution to soak the entire powder tray.
In the story. How to clean the powder tray in the washing machine
And in order to clean the powder container, removed from the washing machine, was as easy as possible, it is necessary:
- After each wash, after taking the laundry out of the dispenser, wipe the basket and gum in front of the drum to remove any residual detergent.
- Leave it ajar for a couple of hours to evaporate moisture from this compartment. So as not to create the conditions for the growth of mold and fungus.
- Reduce the amount of product you pour in or pour out. It may remain on the walls of the dispenser due to overabundance. It may remain on the walls of the dispenser due to over-abundance and excessive use. Installing a line filter will extend the life of all appliances and plumbing fixtures.
keeping the powder, bleach and conditioner containers clean will ensure long and reliable operation of the machine and quality laundry.
How to rid the washing machine tray of powder?
If you notice that your washing machine has become worse at washing and rinsing laundry, we advise you first check the powder tray. It may be clogged and need to be cleaned.
Housekeepers often don’t think about the fact that cleaning the tray is a necessary activity. They think that detergents and water, which are constantly circulating in the tray, make it clean by themselves. But this is not the case. Limescale, detergent or conditioner residues are hard to wash out. Some of it stays in the tray. Over time, all this accumulates in the tray, lime-powder “stalagmites” are formed, and they close the hole through which the water flows. As a result, the detergents do not get into the drum of the machine and washing becomes ineffective. And sometimes it even causes the machine to break down.
Why do you have to clean the basket and how often?
Before it enters the washing machine’s tank, the powder is in a special tray. And already from there, with a stream of water through a hose designed for this purpose falls on the dirty laundry.
But the portion of water that carries the powder into the tank can’t fully dilute it, and so the soapy essence lingers on the walls of the receiver and in the middle of the tube. Remnants of the product in a humid environment quickly turn into fungus.
But there is a second danger. Because such a buildup gradually thickens, it can clog the passage of washing fluid through the hose. This can also be caused by clumping of poor-quality detergent. So if it clogs, you can wash with almost no detergent.
And if in the first case, particles of harmful fungus or mold get on the washing laundry, in the second case, things are not washed, but simply go through a long rinse cycle. Machine filter suffers. This is unacceptable. Therefore, experts advise to thoroughly rinse the container after 2-3 washing cycles.
How to remove
It’s not hard to tell if the machine’s basket needs cleaning. you see it straight away. Even if it looks clean when you open it, but there is an unpleasant smell coming from it, this is a reason to clean it. there may be dirt concentrated underneath. First of all, you need to remove the tray. detach it. It’s really easy to do.
Pull the tray out as far as possible.
The important thing is! Never try to pull the powder tray out by force without clamping the plastic fastener. This can cause a breakage, and in the future the tray will not fit securely in the grooves.
How to get the detergent compartment out of the washing machine
You can clean the detergent compartment without taking it out of the machine. But you can clean the powder tray more effectively if you pull it out.
Pull the powder compartment out very carefully, following the instructions, so you do not break it.
The powder tray may crack if you are not careful.
With most washing machines, to get the powder compartment, you push in the tab and pull out the tray.
This is harder to do on some washing machines, such as Indesit and Ariston. It will be better if you are shown how to do it the first time by a washing machine repairman.
How and what to clean
The choice of cleaning method depends on the degree of contamination of the dispenser.
Quick cleaning without soaking
Remove the tray, soak it by directing a stream of slightly hot water. Rub thoroughly with a sponge or brush. For greater cleaning effect, you can apply dishwashing liquid or soap solution (dissolve shavings of laundry soap in water). Then rinse it out again.
For heavy soiling. soak the dispenser for 2-4 hours and repeat the procedure.
One of the cleaning products will help you clean the powder tray:
- To get rid of minor deposits you can use “Eon”, “Dr. Ten”, “Antiscale”;
- Frisch Aktiv is the right solution for fighting odors, limescale, dirt and lime scale;
- Sandokkaebi, Bork K8P are good for hard to remove deposits.
No laundry should be in the drum when cleaning with household detergents. Use according to instructions.
Remains of dirt, if any, can be cleaned with a brush or thin rail. Wrap a cloth soaked in a solution of soda or citric acid.
Remove deposits that are difficult to clean by soaking. Remove the powder tray from the machine and place it in hot water with one of the detergents, for example Domestos, Comet, Silit, Toilet Duck, Sanfor Antirust. After 1.5-2.5 hours, scrub it with a brush and rinse under running warm water.
Pour 10 grams of citric acid into the powder tray and turn on the washing cycle with t 70-75°C. This helps to eliminate unpleasant smells from the machine and rinse it from the inside, preventing the formation of limescale.
Or dissolve 20 grams of citric acid in two liters of water and soak the detergent container for 2-4 hours. Rinse well with clean water and dry thoroughly afterwards.
Add 9% vinegar to hot water, but not boiling water (250 g per 1 liter of water). Immerse the tray in this solution. After 5 to 7 hours remove it, brush, rinse and wipe with a dry cloth.
Removes lime deposits and hardened powder residue. Pour baking soda into the compartments and soak in room temperature water. Wait for 15-20 minutes. Then use a toothbrush to scrub the walls of all dispenser compartments. Rinse with warm water and dry thoroughly with a dry cloth.
In combination, these substances are used for hard to remove deposits. Wipe the tray removed from the machine with a sponge soaked in vinegar, and a small amount can be poured into the detergent compartments. Then sprinkle the baking soda all over. It will foam from the reaction with the acetic acid and reach the walls and edges of the compartments. Leave to soak for 20-40 minutes.
Then pour out the vinegar liquid and proceed to clean with a squeegee, baby bottle or dish detergent cleaner, toothbrush. Rinse with water and wipe dry.
There are many ways to clean the powder compartment. They all make it easy to get rid of dirt and return the part to its original appearance.
The easiest way to clean the powder tray in the washing machine mechanically. It does not require a lot of time, so you can perform the work after every wash.
- Carefully remove the tray and rinse it with hot water.
- If you cannot get rid of the dirt in this way, put the container in a basin with boiling water.
- After about 10 minutes remove it.
- Using an old toothbrush, remove dirt from all hard-to-reach places.
- Re-rinse the compartments of the tray with water.
- If traces of detergent are left on the walls of the container, they are scrubbed off with a soft sponge.
- The powder container is then wiped with a dry cloth to get rid of any residual moisture.
- The tray is inserted into the device and left ajar for several hours.
Since the advent of modern household appliances, housewives have begun to come up with different methods of cleaning the tray and dispenser for powder in the washing machine. This work can be done in dozens of ways, in which effective and inexpensive folk remedies are used.
This food product can be found in any kitchen. It is used to do various jobs (for example, baking, washing dishes, or cleaning any surfaces from dirt).
- Pour 1 cup of warm water into a container to prepare the remedy.
- Pour the same amount of baking soda into the liquid.
- The components are thoroughly mixed.
- The resulting solution is placed in a powder container and left for 3 hours.
- After a specified time, the cleaning agent is removed.
- Use a soft sponge to get rid of any remaining dirt.
- Rinse container with warm water and dry with a dry cloth.
- It is then kept uncovered for several hours.
It is a universal panacea which can be used for various household chores. It will help even if the powder container is clogged or has mold in it.
To clean the container perform the following operations:
- Bring 1 liter of water to the boil in a small saucepan.
- Take the boiling liquid off the heat and mix it with 1 cup of vinegar (9%).
- Pour the resulting solution in hot form into the container compartments.
- After about 6-8 hours, the liquid is drained.
- The tray is rinsed with warm water.
- Using a brush, remove dirt left in hard-to-reach places.
- Wash the container again and wipe it with a dry cloth.
This crystalline substance can be used not only to clean the tray or conditioner container in the washing machine, but also the entire working system of the device. One pack of citric acid is enough to do the job.
- Pour citric acid into the powder container.
- Remove all clothing from the drum of the device.
- Use the settings menu to select a temperature of at least 60 degrees Celsius.
- Fast washing mode is selected.
- Turn the device on, and wait for the selected program to complete.
- After that the powder container is rinsed with warm water and wiped dry.
Various household chemicals are often used to clean the tray. Get rid of dirt and mold in no time. In this case, you should carefully read the manufacturer’s recommendations, as some chemicals can be used only for cleaning one type of household appliances. Among the most effective cleaners are the following:
- Toilet duck. It not only destroys mold and harmful microorganisms, but also bleaches plastic.
- Silit. This substance perfectly copes with soap scum and lime deposits.
- Dr. Beckmann. The product dissolves the dirt well and allows to remove it from the container. In addition, Beckmann kills bacteria and prevents unpleasant odors.
- Domestos. Removes soap residue and cleans the walls of the dishwasher tray.
often than not, the way the household chemicals are used will be the same. There are only a few situations in which you have to do something extra.
- The right amount of the substance is measured according to the instructions on the package.
- It is placed in the tray.
- Takes all the stuff out of the machine.
- Set the device on the “rapid wash” mode and set the temperature to 90ºC.
- As soon as the appliance beeps to indicate the end of its operation, the rinse is restarted.
- After that the container is rinsed with water and wiped of residual moisture.