How to convert the boiler to liquefied gas
In the technical documentation of heating equipment, specified the minimum pressure at which the burner continues to operate. The lower is this figure, the more propane-butane mixture, will be possible to use from the filled fuel reservoir. Usually, in the tank remains from 15-30% of the total volume.
Boiler nozzles for liquefied gas
- The difference between the nozzles for LPG and natural gas is in different diameters of the outlet hole. As a rule, nozzles for the propane-butane mixture are already.
- After installing a set of nozzles to convert a heating boiler from natural gas to liquefied gas, the pressure in the system increases slightly.
- Reduced diameter of the nozzle, leads to a decrease in the rate of propane-butane mixture. For normal operation of 10 kW unit you need to have a pressure drop of not more than 0.86 kg/h.
What is the most profitable heating gas. natural or liquefied?
- Changes in design and reconfiguration of the boiler when using liquefied gas are temporary. From the start of registration and ordering a project to install heating equipment connected to the main gas pipeline can take about six months.During this period, to heat the room with electric or solid fuel heating equipment, specially purchased for this purpose, is economically impractical. The cost of transferring an ordinary boiler to liquefied gas, ranging from 500-1000
- Connecting the gas holder. in this case, the cost of using the mixture is more profitable than heating with wood, electricity or diesel. The only condition is that a qualified specialist must adjust the pressure of liquefied gas, regulate the work of automatics. Incorrect settings cause flow rate to increase by approx. 15%.
What are the gas boilers for liquefied gas?
It should be made clear at once that there are no special boilers designed to work exclusively on liquefied fuel: to this end, you can use standard gas units, the factory design of which provides for the possibility of reconfiguration from natural gas to LPG and back.
In addition, a boiler suitable for liquefied gas must have a low operating pressure (3-5 mbar) to ensure a more complete output of fuel.
What are they for and how are they used??
Actually, of the many reasons why homeowners prefer to heat their homes with liquefied fuel, there are several major ones:
- Temporary absence of a direct gas line or connection;
- Other resources are difficult or expensive to access in the local conditions;
- the need to heat small households (40-100 m 2 ).
The procedure for gasification of a site is often delayed (you have to save up money, take permits, approve the project, etc.). д.), so in such a period, LPG is useful.
If you do not consider the option that one lives in a coal mining region, the cylinders are cheaper than other fuels, especially electricity.
And the best gas boiler on liquefied gas is suitable for small houses, because the installation of 1-3 cylinders does not take place and does not require approval.
The device and principle of operation
Boiler on LPG functions like any similar device. it burns fuel and directs the energy to heat the circulating coolant (water).
But liquefied gas can not be fed directly. Standard injection burner has too large nozzles (holes), respectively, it is simply not designed for this fuel: the gas comes in excessive quantities, leading to overheating (later. the deformation) of the equipment or even an explosion.
Therefore it is initially necessary to put nozzles (sprayers) of smaller diameter and connect a reducer (device for pressure equalization). the pressure drop at the outlet of the cylinder will ensure the transition of fuel from liquid to gaseous form. And already in this condition it enters the combustion chamber.
This is what the kit for converting the boiler to liquefied gas looks like. It can be ordered together with a boiler or bought separately. In some models, the replacement kit is already included in the basic set.
The heating boiler operating on liquid gas has no other design features: Otherwise, it is identical to the traditional unit.
Specifics of operation
In order to provide uninterrupted heating of your home, you will need to organize a storage facility, the capacity of which should correspond to the number of gas reserves:
- a group of cylinders on the ramp. a combination of 4-15 cylinders with the volume of 0.2-0.7 m3 ;
- mobile gas holder. movable cistern with capacity of 0.4-1.4 m3
- stationary gas holder. built-in tank with a capacity of 3-50 m 3.
A group of cylinders on a ramp together with the collectors is placed in a strong steel box, which is taken at a distance of 1-2 m from the house or mounted on the wall of the building (if the fire resistance is higher than III degree). Short-term stocks (1-3 cylinders) are allowed to be stored directly at home, but not in underground levels.
It is not permitted to store LPG in cellars! In case of leakage, heavy gas settles on the lower building levels, creating a fire and explosion hazard.
Mobile gas holder (mini gas holder) is fixed on a trailer (like an automobile) and is located no closer than 10-12 m from the house building. To avoid freezing of condensate during cold periods, the sealed container is equipped with an electric heater included in the general heating network.
Stationary gas holders are always installed underground. the tank is completely buried (only the lid and control elements remain above), and gas pipes are laid to the house or boiler room. It does not need any additional heating due to the walls being surrounded by soil.
Scheme of placing a stationary gas holder on the territory of a private house.
The minimum distance from the stationary gas holder to the house is determined by the technical supervision authorities depending on the volume of the tank:
Undoubtedly, the stationary gas storage. the best option to ensure continuous operation of the heating system: for the entire season is enough for 1-2 refills.
In general, any of these methods of organization of the place of storage of liquefied fuel is considered acceptable, but subject to compliance with safety rules:
- The gas container must not be exposed to direct sunlight;
- Its constant external temperature must not exceed 43 45 °C;
- the gas pipe must be laid below the frost level of the ground.
For the gas boiler itself will also need to allocate a suitable place: units of 10-60 kW is allowed to put in residential areas near gas stoves and radiators, t. е. in a regular kitchen (10-15 m 2 ), and the appliances 70-350 kW is suitable room with access to the street, it is recommended. a separate boiler room (15-25 m 2 ).
Conversion of the wall-mounted boiler to LPG
The procedure consists of 2 operations of replacing the nozzles (nozzles) and adjusting the pressure in the gas fitting at different modes of combustion. To perform the normative works it is necessary to prepare:
- standard tool kit screwdrivers, pliers, etc.;
- Combination wrenches and hexagon socket wrenches;
- Pressure gauge with clock type indicator or electronic manometer showing pressure in mbar;
- a flexible connecting cable fitting to the boiler fittings.
Tip. Selecting the diameter of the pipe is easy after removing the front panel of the radiator. It must be large enough to fit the valve connections on the outside.
The first thing to do is to partially disassemble the device and remove the gas burner. Purpose to get to the inner panel of the manifold, where the standard nozzles are screwed in. The sequence of work depends on the model of the boiler and is usually as follows:
- Remove the front panel of the device. Viessmann, Baxi, Buderus and similar radiators have the control panel at the back, which must be tilted forward.
- Disconnect the ignition electrodes and the ignition burner (if present).
- Unscrew the self-tapping screws securing the main burner in place. Take out the part and set it aside.
- At the back of the unit there is a manifold with connections. Replace the nozzles by unscrewing them with a flat-bladed screwdriver. Set the torch and electrodes in place.
Tip. Before proceeding with disassembly and adjustment, read the boiler manual! This document often describes the procedure for switching to LPG and indicates the pressure limits that must be set on the valve.
After replacing the nozzles, it is necessary to supply fuel to the boiler and check the quality of connections by soaping them. Set the pressure on the pressure reducer of 36-40 mbar (the exact value is specified in the passport of the heater) and continue with the adjustment.
Apply soapy foam with a sponge to check the tightness of the joint.
The second step of the adjustment of the gas boiler is carried out in the following sequence:
Locate the 2 diagnostic connectors and the regulator directly on the valve. The adjusting screw is in the form of a hexagonal head screw with a screw or a second hexagon inside (depending on the model of the device).
Important Note. The software setting is done in parallel with the mechanical setting. The algorithm is specific to each type of heat source and is specified in the instruction manual. Watch a video on how to switch the electronics of the boiler “Protherm Panther” to LPG and adjust the pressure.
Why it is important to read the product manual. First you need to set the settings. Secondly, some models of heating units, such as DAEWOO, have a special switch on the control board, there is no need to connect the gauge and screw the screws at all.
On older atmospheric models equipped with a pilot burner, the wick flame must be adjusted. In the case of propane, the igniter burns harder and causes loss of gas in the cylinder. Find a suitable adjusting screw and reduce the flame to 2-3 cm. By the way, the above step-by-step instructions are also suitable for the conversion of gas boilers to LPG.
Rebuild steps with burner change
The design of a number of boilers is arranged in such a way that there is no point in unscrewing the nozzles separately. For these, manufacturers make modules designed for liquefied gas. It is easy to change the burner module, for example, in a boiler Navien Deluxe.
The whole job is to replace the manifold with nozzles with exactly the same device, but with holes of a different size. The fact that it will be factory-made. a definite plus that guarantees the tightness of gas ducts. Doubts in its further safe operation will not have.
The conversion and readjustment works in this case are carried out as follows:
- Disconnect the appliance from the power supply and close the tap on the gas supply pipe.
- Remove the front panel from the boiler drum.
- Disconnect the electrodes connected to the ignition system.
- Dismantle the gas supply pipe inside the boiler by loosening the 4 screws that hold it.
- Remove the cover installed on the closed combustion chamber. For this remove 11 screws.
- Dismantle the overtemperature protection sensor together with the bracket designed for it.
- Remove the manifold with nozzles attached to it. To remove it, unscrew the two screws on the right and left side of the device.
- Install the sealing ring on the new manifold to be installed, sealing the gas pipe inlet. Mount the new collector on the original place and fix it with screws.
- The micro switch, fifth from the bottom, turn it to the right. This is how we reconfigure the device to run on liquefied gas.
After these simple manipulations we assemble the boiler, following the reverse sequence. In the same way, remodeling and reconfiguration of most floor standing gas boilers, especially if they are condensing type. This variant of boilers is most often even designed for the possibility of transferring.
To familiarise visually with a procedure of replacement of a collector with gas jets and adjustment of the boiler the following photo collection will help:
- To modify the boiler to work on LPG buy a manifold with nozzles, the size recommended by the manufacturer;
- To remove the old manifold with nozzles and replace it with a new one, disassemble the boiler. First we dismantle the front panel;
- To remove the lid of the closed chamber, first disconnect the wires from the ignition system of the gas boiler;
- We remove the gas supply pipe to the burner that prevents reaching the manifold. To do this, unscrew the four screws;
- Remove the sensor of the protection device against excessive temperature during operation of the boiler. Do not disconnect it;
- Remove the screw that holds the bracket from the safety sensor. It hinders removal of the cover from the burner. Removing the holder;
- To remove the cover from the closed gas burner, unscrew 11 screws;
- Carefully “picking up” the edge of the cover from the closed burner, remove it from its original place, taking care not to deform it;
Buying the manifold for replacement
Removing the boiler front panel
Disconnecting the ignition system wires
Removing the gas supply pipe to the burner
Removal of the overheat protection sensor
Unscrewing the sensor bracket
Remove screws from burner cover
Natural Gas to Propane Conversion on a Furnace from Start to Finish!
Removing the closed burner cover. Now all that remains is to change the manifold and set the gas unit to run on cylinders or a gas holder:
- Examine the combustion chamber space. Smoked walls. A good sign means the manufacturer has tested the unit’s operation;
- After unscrewing the two screws on the left and right of the manifold, remove it to put in its place another device;
- Having removed the sealing ring from the previous collector, we move it to the device to be installed. Connecting it;
- The fifth microswitch on the control board on the bottom, turn it to the right. The setup is complete;
Inspects the inside of the combustion chamber
Disconnecting the manifold for natural gas
Installing the liquefied gas manifold
Setting the boiler to liquefied gas
However, you should be aware that both of the above methods of remodeling are not implemented at all with all models of units. There are boilers that are not even worth trying to convert to liquefied gas, especially long-standing units.
In any case, before you plan to remodel and transfer, you should ask the representatives of the company that performed the first run, whether it is possible to implement such a project. It is also worth studying the passport of gas processing equipment and manufacturer’s recommendations. Usually stipulates the possibility of.
When choosing the right boiler for specific conditions, the following points should be taken into account:
- Due to the significant consumption of liquid fuel it is more reasonable to choose a single-circuit gas unit;
- If it is necessary to arrange a separate circuit of DHW is more convenient to connect the boiler of indirect heating;
- Two-circuit models are chosen in a situation where there are available funds for this.
The most important criterion for selecting the right model is the correct selection of fuel for it, the payment for which should be provided for years to come. Added to this are the costs of arrangement of the structure inside the house and the creation of the conditions necessary to maintain a normal temperature.
Heating a private home with gas cylinders and liquefied propane consumption
For the device of the heating system will need source of thermal energy. It can be main or liquefied gas, firewood, electricity or liquid fuel. The most advantageous option is gas. But not all localities have mains gas. In this case the liquefied variety is used. If you decide to make heating from a gas cylinder, you need to familiarize yourself in advance with the advantages and disadvantages of such systems, as well as to understand the nuances of their device.
Boiler conversion to liquefied gas: how to correctly convert the unit and perform the adjustment of the automation
Most of the commercially available boiler equipment is designed to work with the main gaseous fuel. For residents of remote settlements from the network, this option is not suitable. But the problem can be solved if you know how to convert a fuel boiler to liquefied gas. After such remodeling, the house is heated using LPG reserves in cylinders or a gas tank.
About the necessary changes in the construction
Almost all manufacturers of boilers are developing equipment for different types of gas fuel. But there are no universal designs. You can not just disconnect the device from the mains and connect to cylinders. This will lead to reduced capacity and increased fuel consumption, and can cause emergencies.
To convert a boiler unit of any manufacturer from natural gas to liquefied gas, you will need to:
- install other jets (nozzles) in the boiler burners;
- If necessary, install a new manifold;
- Reconfigure the automation equipment, which provides the required pressure in different modes of operation.
In addition, to connect to tanks that hold liquefied gas, you will need to install a pressure reducer, reducing its pressure. It is better to choose modifications that allow to adjust this parameter.
Note also that the use of cylinders is advisable only as a temporary solution. To organize heating on propane at low cost, it is recommended to install a full-fledged gas holder. This is due to the fact that a large part of the price of fuel is the cost of delivery. Gas consumption increases in the winter, so you have to change the cylinders often. And it entails a general increase in home heating costs.
Any work on the installation, modification, repair of gas appliances are fraught with increased risks. The best option for the conversion of the boiler for liquefied gas to trust a representative of a specialized company. This will give a guarantee of further safe operation.
- Work must be carried out in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and safety regulations.
- Do not install gas cylinders in the vicinity of boiler equipment, heating devices. Overheating can cause an explosion.
- The room is equipped with a supply and exhaust ventilation system. An additional hood must be installed 30 cm from the floor.
- To prevent explosive accumulations of mixtures, a gas analyzer is installed in the boiler room. It is better if it is connected to the system of automatic protection, shutting off the fuel supply.
- When replacing nozzles, manifold, other elements of the gas supply system, be sure to check the tightness of all connections. Soap foam is used for this purpose. Checking with an open flame is prohibited.
Remodeling the boiler yourself, you take all responsibility for the final result.
Recommendations before starting work
Before starting any modifications to the boiler itself, you must make sure that the safety precautions are observed. This applies to ventilation, placement of equipment, availability of a pressure reducer, emergency shutoff valve.
Most manufacturers indicate the technology of switching to another type of fuel in the manuals. Therefore, you should begin with a detailed study of it. In addition, it is necessary to consult with representatives of the gas service. They will tell you exactly which parts need to be replaced. Do not count on an explanation of the subtleties, because it must be performed by the workers themselves.
If the kit did not include additional jets, you will have to buy them yourself. On sale they can be found under the names of nozzles, nozzles. The main thing is to buy a part with a diameter corresponding to the mixture of liquefied gases, which will be used as fuel.
In the instructions to the equipment, working on different types of this fuel, there is a table with the normative parameters of the part.
The diameter of nozzles depends on the following factors:
Incorrect selection leads to lower efficiency of the equipment, incomplete fuel combustion, increased formation of carbon deposits. For this reason, you should use only those nozzles that are recommended by the manufacturer for each model.
To replace and reconfigure the system when switching to liquefied gas will require partial disassembly with the removal of the liner, burner, disabling automatic protection and control. The following tools will be needed:
- A set of open-end wrenches of appropriate size;
- Phillips screwdriver and straight screwdriver;
- A gas or adjustable wrench to unscrew the large nuts;
- An electronic or pointer pressure gauge that reads in millibars.
Sometimes to set the pressure use a tonometer, but you can not guarantee the accuracy of indicators in this case. Therefore, for professional use such a device is not suitable.
Before carrying out work it will be necessary to shut off the water supply, turn off electrical equipment. The next step is to adjust the gas pressure at the inlet to the boiler from a set of cylinders. To do this, it is necessary to adjust the step-down reducer. The required value depends on the type of LPG. 37 mbar for butane and 28 mbar for propane. Given that in most cases a mixture of these gases is used, in practice the average value is taken as 32-33 mbar.
Despite the structural differences between individual models of these boilers, the principle of switching the equipment to liquefied gas for them is largely the same. To do this you will need to perform the following operations:
- Remove the apparatus outer liner and the screen behind it.
- Loosen the screws that fix the combustion cover and remove it.
- Disconnect the igniter electrodes and the flame control system.
- Unscrew and remove the burner assembly.
- Unscrew the nozzles using the special tools. Do not use pliers or other tools for this, there is a high risk of damaging the parts.
- Install new nozzles and tighten without applying excessive force.
- Reassemble in the reverse order, without lining, apply gas and check all connections for leaks with soapy foam or a special spray.
After completing the work, adjust the gas pressure at maximum and minimum output. for most valves, the position of the external nut determines the upper flow rate, and the internal screw. the lower one. The values are different for each boiler, the data are taken from the technical documentation. Values depend on the power of the equipment, so the adjustment “by eye” is not allowed. Average figures in the range 22-28 and 5-8 mbar for the upper and lower parameters respectively.
Floor standing boiler
Replacement of nozzles does not cause difficulties, disassembly is even easier than in the wall models. It is required to disconnect the pipes and wires connected to the unit, unscrew 4 mounting screws and remove the stove with a burner assembly. Nozzles themselves are changed as shown above and assembled in reverse order.
Most of the AHV and AOGV floor standing gas boilers use the SIT 630 type automatic system. The adjustment principle also remains the same, it is necessary to set the rated gas pressure with the help of screws. Do it without disassembly.
You can convert the boiler from natural gas to liquefied gas yourself. But given the high responsibility of such works, it is better to entrust all the stages to the representatives of the gas service. This will give a guarantee of safe installation of new nozzles and the correct setting of control and protection equipment. Do not take risks with experiments in this area.
To remake a gas gun for natural gas
Everyone has probably already heard about such a homemade device as a gas gun Yevdokimov. This is a very effective and useful device when you want to quickly heat a room in the cold season. Among other things, such a gun is able to work autonomously, for its work it is enough to have a car battery for 12 V, as well as a cylinder of gas. But fans of such homemade products did not stop there and decided to make this device even more effective. The article will consider the option of how to improve such a device.
The most important thing that now appeared in the gun is a damper, which allows you to start and control the device easier.
Materials and tools for manufacturing: asbestos cord, welding, angle grinder, metal plates, steel pipe, drill, gas regulator, steel rod, etc., fan for 220V.
Step One. Creation of a flapFor the gun to be easy to ignite and to regulate the intensity of the heat output, it was decided to install a flap. It is very simple to make. You take a metal rod with a suitable diameter and make a longitudinal cut in it. One end of the rod is bent to form a handle. In the axis itself, you need to drill two holes and thread them for bolts.
The flap is made of thin sheet steel, it is fixed with screws. To make the damper open and close with some tension, a spring and a washer are placed on it.
To burn fuel better, you need to modify the burner a little. For these purposes, the author has installed a special insert in the pipe 80 mm. How it looks like, you can see in the photo.
I use a 3.6 kw ceramic heater when it’s freezing.15 heats the garage to 10, 12 is enough for me, every 1.5 hours, I turn off for 10 minutes to air the room
Who knows for natural (main) gas, propane-butane gun can be converted?
olisar wrote: Who knows on the natural (main) gas, propane-butane gun can be converted?
You can, just like a gas stove, just change the nozzle nozzle.It is suitable for gas stoves, sold in a gas supply store.Price 20
Good afternoon Explain the unfamiliar (my husband gave the job) Gun Favorit TV3, where you can buy parts, in particular a new heating element or a spiral, and whether it is possible? I looked on the web did not find anything.
Olga_Arsaki, from experience, heating elements practically have not burned out, most often burst from water on them, they are in the form of tubes in the form of the letter W, at 3 kilowatt of them there are 3 pieces.Are available, leave your phone number in a personal message.Check with your husband if your KSD 304 pill shaped fuser may be burned out ?
Search by topic
Switching to LPG heating is a realistic prospect when natural gas rise
Gas cylinders filled with propane-butane have long been commonplace in the kitchens of suburban homes. But would it be a rational solution to arrange a private home heating on liquefied gas? Before converting your home heating system to use liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), you need to clarify a few things for yourself. Among them the most important. what will be the consumption of liquefied gas for home heating, and how real will be the benefit?