When using a ceramic chimney, you should understand that ceramic has a high percentage of moisture absorption. To increase its life span it is necessary to make additional exhaust ducts.
When installing a ceramic chimney system, the ceramic pipe is wrapped in insulation and installed in a expanded clay or brick box.
It should be noted that this method of removing exhaust gases is expensive. And not suitable for a gas boiler located in an apartment.
Ventilating diffuser: types and features
Ways to check the draught
How to check the draft in the gas water heater? There are two ways to determine the blockage and fix it in time.
It is worth checking them before you start heating, so as not to get poisoning. Often in the summer, corks form in the pipes. Caused by insects and birds that like to nest in cool pipes.
The exhaust pipe for the gas boiler can be checked with an anemometer. It checks the gas velocity. Enough to bring the sensor with the fan to the outlet of the chimney, and see the result on the screen. Compare it with normal values and find out the difference.
The drawback of the anemometer is the high price. Cheap Chinese models will not give a complete picture, as they work with large errors. But for households will do.
Take a lighter and bring it to the bottom point of the chimney while the boiler is running. In the absence of interference, the flame should “swallow” inside. If this does not happen. carry out cleaning work.
- The installation of a branch pipe in the wall. After that you connect the construction to the heater and bring it to the connector to the outlet on the street. All cracks and connections are insulated with sealant;
- On the outside wall mount the chimney. All connections are secured with clamps;
- For the device to be level and stable, it is additionally fixed with brackets while maintaining a distance of 2 meters. It is important that there are no deflections in the system;
Once the work is finished, check the draught power. To do this, you need to bring a burning match to the vent or chimney hole. If the flame deviates, it means that there is a draft.
Why the system doesn’t work properly
Possible problems in the work of the chimney and the causes of their appearance:
- Burning: improper installation, use of substandard materials;
- Sooting: improper use of the equipment, failure to follow instructions;
- Large amounts of condensation: poor insulation of the system.
In the organization and installation of gas equipment, everything must be clear. You can turn to specialists. now you know how to control their work.
The best choice for hot water in the house or apartment called a gas boiler. But one of the conditions for the installation of most models of such equipment is the need for a chimney. Therefore, when thinking about buying a column, the user should learn more about the rules of installation of chimneys, as well as possible alternatives to this type of removal of combustion products.
Chimneys for gas heaters are classified according to the material from which they are made. Distinguish:
- Corrugated flexible ducts. Inside such pipes there is a wire spiral, and the pipe itself is made of aluminum foil. The advantage of such a chimney is the possibility of bending at any angle and changing the length with the help of metal tape.
- Aluminum chimneys. Their advantages are low weight, availability, lack of condensation inside the chimney. However, in the winter without insulation such pipes can get icy.
- Galvanized steel chimneys. They have a small weight and fairly high resistance to corrosion. Steel chimney is also important to insulate for the cold season.
- Sandwich chimneys. Their design is a single tube, located inside the second, and between their walls is a non-combustible insulator (often mineral wool) to prevent condensation. Such a chimney is called durable and reliable. It is often recommended for installation in a private home, when the chimney must be passed through the roof and floors (especially if they are made of combustible materials).
Recommendations for choosing a chimney
The easiest and cheapest way for a city apartment is to connect a corrugated pipe.
It is important to note that the flue has a tendency to burn through rather quickly. Therefore it will be necessary to inspect the chimney from time to time to detect possible damage.
Thick pipes made of steel or asbestos are too heavy and difficult to install. In addition, you will have to use insulation and cladding sheet metal, which increases costs.
Ceramic designs will be the ideal solution if the owner of the house or apartment is not in the mood to save on materials. Schiedel UNI systems meet all modern requirements, but because of the high cost are not available to the average homeowner.
often than not, the best and most popular solution is the installation of double-loop chimneys made of heat-resistant steel.
How to place the speaker and hood in the kitchen
If, due to various circumstances, you have to put a gas appliance in your kitchen, and a cooker hood, you need to observe these criteria:
Gas inspectors can only prohibit the installation of a hood with a fan. It is possible to install a sorption hood.
This modification does not blow air into the ventilation duct. It uses absorptive filters.
Thus, the biggest threat when combining a column and a hood is its version with a fan.
In certain weather conditions, the draft weakens in the flue tunnel. And if at this time there is even the slightest rarefaction in the kitchen, there come the negative consequences outlined earlier.
The heater can not be switched on. And the air in the kitchen will fill with dangerous elements, including carbon monoxide.
Basic requirements for the chimney of a gas boiler
The flue pipe must be straight and without constrictions
- Flue systems must comply strictly with the provisions of the SNiP
- Any gas water heater is equipped with an individual chimney (except cases that are stipulated by SNIP).
- The chimney system must be completely sealed, otherwise there is a risk of gas leakage.
- The chimney system must be performed of temperature- and moisture-resistant materials that are not subject to corrosion. Smoke, moving through the pipe, is cooled and forms the condensation moisture.
- The flue must be permanently attached to the chimney. no slack in the flue.
- Along the entire length of the chimney system must be uniform draught. To do this, its design uses round cross-section pipes that have a smooth surface.
- The diameter of the inlet depends on the diameter of the entire chimney system.
- Installation of the chimney must be vertical. The permitted deviation of the chimney is up to 1 meter or 30 degrees relative to the axis. Passing through the wall for direct connection of the gas boiler is allowed to make with a deviation of 90 degrees.
- In the lower part of the vertical structure of the chimney is a revision window, so that condensate moisture does not enter the gas equipment.
In a multi-storey house, a sealed duct connects the combustion chamber of the furnace and the ventilation pipe. In a private home shaft or pipe extends directly into the street. In the same way the extractor for the gas column at installation of independent heating by a gas boiler is deduced.
- intake pipe connected to the combustion chamber;
- the line for the gas outlet, a certain length and configuration;
- swivel fittings of the outlet channel;
- condensate collecting vessel (glass);
- through elements;
- ventilation fungus.
Pipelines are made with and without insulation, depending on the requirements and characteristics of the building. Combustion products in warm form rise naturally upwards and are expelled from the room. Specific density of hot carbon monoxide is higher than the air density. The more draught the higher the outlet point of the outlet pipe. If possible, the exhaust pipe is lifted as high as possible with as few bends of the exhaust pipe as possible.
Types of coatings, their pros and cons
Technology ceiling decoration is not limited to certain standards. The choice depends on the size of the room, the material of which the ceiling is made, the presence of irregularities and defects, design style. We propose to take a closer look at each of the options, taking into account their positive and negative sides.
Whitewashing the ceiling with a lime solution is a traditional finish that has been used for decades. This option is difficult to call the best, although in some cases, whitewashing is quite appropriate. It fits perfectly into country interiors, where a smooth white ceiling is complemented by wooden beams of a darker shade.
Checking Your Boiler Part 3: Venting and Chimney
The advantages of whitewashing include the ease of doing it yourself and the modest cost of materials. Among the disadvantages we would like to note the need for prior alignment of the surface with the technology plastering. Whitewashing does not apply to moisture-resistant coatings, so yellowed coating will have to fully update.
With the advent of water-based paint, the problem of finishing kitchen ceilings has been partially solved. The paint layer protects the surface from fungus formation, it is easy to clean it from soot with an ordinary brush and soap solution. Water-emulsion compositions perfectly copes with the masking of minor defects, withstands high temperature and humidity. The material is relatively inexpensive.
Just a side note! Of the negative features should be noted technology painting, according to which the process takes place in several stages, including leveling the surface putty, the application of a layer of primer and actually painting.
Modern production technologies allow you to create trellises with the necessary indicators of moisture resistance, which can be used in the finishing of ceilings in the kitchen.
The pluses of the material can include a large choice of design options, the ability to maintain the cleanliness of the coating. For ceiling decoration in the kitchen are well suited to vinyl-based trellis and wallpaper for painting.
Liquid compositions with cellulose are also used in the kitchen, but it should be taken into account that direct contact with moisture is contraindicated for such materials. Wallpapering the ceiling. the process is time-consuming, but this is the only argument against this technology.
Advice! In the kitchen, it is better to use smooth wallpaper, with rough or grooved surfaces is difficult to remove dirt.
Tiles of foam
Ribbed squares, reminiscent of stucco, can often be found in our kitchens. Fascination with this type of finishing is not too understandable, since the foam tiles have a lot of disadvantages. Each piece has to be glued by hand, holding with your hands for 30-60 seconds. It’s a tedious process, and it takes a long time.
The tiles themselves often serve only as a base for the paint, which means a second step will be required to complete the finish. Completely wash the grooved surface of soot and dirt is difficult, so this option is also not called hygienic. In fairness it is necessary to note the advantages of tiles. The material is easy to cut, hides irregularities, traces of leaks, resistant to moisture.
PVC linings and panels
Materials based on PVC and hardwood are quite suitable for finishing ceilings in rooms with high humidity. Panels are easy to wash, not susceptible to deformation and UV exposure.
Under them, it is easy to hide small defects in the flooring: cracks, unevenness, height differences. The disadvantages include the peculiarities of installation. The panels are attached to the pre-installed laths, so they lag behind the surface of the flooring by 7-10 centimeters. This option is more suitable for rooms with high ceilings.
Suspended or stretch structures
This option of finishing is good in cases where you want to hide from the eyes of the electrical wires, gas and ventilation pipes. The stretch ceiling looks impressive and stylish, perfectly complementing any interior. The design of suspended structures is also diverse, very unusual look multilevel surfaces with built-in light sources. However, such systems reduce the height of the ceilings by 10-20 centimeters, which is not always acceptable.
Rack and pinion
Slats are another modern option for kitchen ceilings. Three types of materials are used for installation: wood, aluminium or plastic. Metal is preferable for the kitchen, although it is more expensive. This system is used with closed joints, otherwise dirt accumulating in the free space will be extremely difficult to remove.