Installation rules for the fireplace firebox
The quality of the work of the fireplace largely depends on how correctly all the instructions were followed during installation.Thus, professional craftsmen recommend following the following rules:
- When determining the place where the fireplace will be located, it is important to ensure that the walls and ceiling surface adjacent to it are resistant to high temperatures;
- arrangement of the fireplace assumes the presence of a level stone or ceramic as a base;
- as a safety measure, the base of the firebox should be equipped with a sheet of steel, the thickness of which should be more than 2 mm;
- The role of insulating material will perfectly perform a wool on a basalt base, which should be placed between the surfaces of the floor and ceiling. Such wool is highly heat-resistant (heating up to 900°C will not cause it any harm);
- one of the peculiarities of laying the firebox is the need for its gradual rounding, for which each of the following bricks must be stacked 6 cm closer from the beginning of the previous brick;
- The remains of the mixture of mortar, formed after the laying of a number of bricks, it is required to remove with a sponge;
- speaking of such a parameter as the thickness of the walls of the furnace, it should be remembered that the side walls of this parameter should be 20 cm, and the back edge. 10 cm;
- provided that if the fireplace is installed in a structure made of stone, its arrangement can be carried out near any desired wall. But if the main element of the structure of the house is wood, then before installation it is necessary to build a special layer of protection. For this purpose, either standard bricks or building blocks can be used;
- the diameter of the grids installed in the decompression chamber must correspond to the capacity of the furnace used;
- In order to ensure that the surface is not damaged during the operation of the fireplace, the chimney pipe is important to extend beyond the roof at least 1 meter;
- Those parts of the chimney that cross the attic room, it is necessary to treat a layer of insulation;
- joint of the fireplace firebox and chimney pipe must be completely airtight;
- in order for the chimney outlet to receive the air necessary for ventilation, it is necessary to provide a 5 cm clearance in the chimney outlet area;
- the minimum height of the firebox above the floor surface is 20 cm;
- Control over the air supply to the furnace will help improve the installation of a special throttle flap, mounted in the ash tray;
- Excess condensate can harm the system, so it is important to provide the possibility of its drainage from the chimney.
How to furnish the fireplace stove with your own hands
Cladding the fireplace firebox is a necessary process. It is needed not only for decorative purposes, but also for the furnace to have a fulcrum. Chimney stove is not just a decorative element, but a real heating device that operates on solid fuel, which is used both as the main and additional, auxiliary source of heating in the house.
Many people, buying a fireplace stove, immediately enlist the help of professionals in order to perform its installation and cover it with brick or other fireproof materials. However, if you want to do everything by your own forces and are not going to resort to the help of stovesmiths and craftsmen, we recommend that you read the tips and recommendations from this article in more detail. You can always buy ready made fireplace cladding in our online store.
The chimney will be made of two parts. The lower part from the firebox through the first and second floors to the exit to the attic is a sleeve made of stainless steel. steel was assembled “by smoke” and was firmly encased in brick. The upper part was made through the cold attic with access to the roof and the height according to SNIP at least 0.5 m. Above the ridge is a stainless steel sandwich gathered by condensation. The structure is very heavy, the chimney was taken out of the furnace and finally has a separate base for the brickwork and not in contact with it in any way.
The chimney sleeve and sandwich had to be assembled by ourselves after the furnace was installed in its place and about half of the furnace was laid. Brickwork had to be done after the furnace was laid. Stainless brackets, which were purchased along with the pipe, were used to attach the sleeve. The chimney was put autonomously, for which there were reasons:
- Nothing prevented it from making temperature fluctuations.
- Oscillations of other structures such as floors, partitions, roofs and others were not affected.
- No one excluded fire requirements and SNIP.
No difficulty was experienced during installation. Chimney installation took half a day. Difficult work, especially on the roof was helped by a neighbor.
How to make a fireplace with a cast-iron firebox
The topic of building a fireplace with an open firebox. it is not easy, but quite feasible, so read the article, and be inspired by the super project. perhaps you will also want to build this simple and beautiful fireplace in your home! It was decided to build an open fireplace only in terms of aesthetics and attractive appearance, as well as because of the dislike of cast-iron stoves.
This fireplace will be installed in a log house. The house was placed on the foundation last fall. under the roofing felt. We had to go to the construction of the fireplace in the winter, as the stove operator had free time only during this period.
The foundation for the fireplace is a reinforced slab, the loads on it were additionally calculated. In the photos you can see that the construction is close to the right wall. But you can’t see it here, but on the left side there will be a crossbar and on the left side we have the entrance to the room. Carved paneling is additionally planned for the mantelpiece. A sliding mechanism is installed near the wall in front of the fireplace stove. It creates a wall that separates the combustible elements.
The masonry is gradually increasing, but it was suspended because of the decision of the problem: we were thinking how to go to the carved side posts of the fireplace in the corners. As a result we got variants, which can be seen on the pictures. The brick was handled and polished with 40 grit petal circles. Thought also do the columns of the fireplace, by the way, it was possible to buy the factory columns. perfectly smooth and polished, but still decided to do yourself.
Decided on the corners of the stove, and immediately things went faster. It looked original and unique. Next on the plan. to build a fireplace tooth from fireclay bricks.
The overall design of the fireplace was inspired by the house itself. I wanted to bring to life all that is inherent in the Russian teremki and stoves in them. For example, to take all the Russian geometry, which is present in the bows and tiles. The overall picture of the future fireplace in the head of the author was immediately, and hatched for a long time, so you can see what the project will end up.
How to make a fireplace.
In fact, to make a cassette fireplace, it is not so difficult.
Here, I want to tell you how to make a fireplace based on the cast-iron firebox and factory cladding.
Attention. To properly install a fireplace it is necessary to understand and know the fire regulations.
I strongly advise to read the rules and regulations of fire safety from SNiP.
To make a cassette fireplace we will need.
- Cast iron or steel firebox.
- A fireplace cladding suitable for the chosen firebox.
- Fireplace, ventilation, grates for heat removal from the heat chamber.
- Sandwich chimney kit required diameter.
- Non-combustible materials for the chimney duct installation.
- Special insulation for the thermal chamber device.
- Non-combustible heat insulation for the device of fire separators in the ceilings.
- Materials for decorative finishing of the fireplace box.
Brick fireplace construction | Episode 5: Building the firebox
Installation of a fireplace, fireplace firebox installation
People have a country house directly associated with having a fireplace in it, and the fireplace is a symbol of coziness and tenderness in any construction. Worry about its installation is important, especially since it is not easy to make a fireplace yourself, with your own hands. Below are the successive steps of installation work with a fireplace firebox, told about the peculiarities of its device.
Peculiarities of the cast-iron fireplace installation in the country house
As well as a couple of centuries ago, the fireplace in the country house is a symbol of wealth, well-being and even some aristocracy. No wonder that it is a dream to have it all inveterate dacha owners and lovers of country cottages. Of course, the ultimate display of charm is a real brick fireplace. However, it requires significant material costs for installation and operation, as well as expensive heavy foundation. In addition, the space in the room of such a fireplace is not little. A good alternative is a cast-iron fireplace. an excellent efficient heating device and no less attractive interior object.
This is the very first stage, in which you should take into account several important points, especially for functional fireplaces:
- It is necessary to determine the place for the equipment in the room in relation to the walls, the location of furniture. Do not forget about fire safety: the distance from flammable surfaces to the furnace must be at least 700 mm.
- It is recommended that the foundation for the equipment be made of concrete 300 mm or more in height. The perimeter of the foundation must exceed the size of the furnace by 250 to 300 mm on each side.
- The recommended clearance between the furnace and plasterboard construction 50 mm.
- It is necessary to provide a box for air drainage.
- Podium. The design must provide airflow for heating, support the weight of the firebox.
- The thickness of fireproof wall finish and technical clearance of 100 mm between it and the firebox.
- To determine the exact size of the portal, you should consider the parameters of the facing material: profiles: guide. 27 × 28 mm and mullion. 27 × 60 mm). For cladding, it is recommended to use fireproof or water-resistant gypsum board with a thickness of 12.5 mm.
- Portal design and finish should blend in seamlessly with the interior.
The listed parameters will help to avoid mistakes during installation.
Installing the fireplace stove. the construction of the base, installation of the structure and cladding
A classic fireplace made of refractory brick with an open portal is a cherished dream of many homeowners. However, the possibility of erecting such a structure is limited by some of the requirements of the room and the location of the hearth, as well as the need to build a reinforced foundation. In addition, the work must be performed by professionals who have certain qualifications and sufficient experience. Installation of a metal fireplace firebox will make the work easier and simpler. Ready to use products in a wide range on the construction market and are the best option for the construction of the fireplace.