What paint for heating radiators is better: the rating of the top 15 of popular compositions
Over time, the coating of metal heating radiators becomes not so attractive, the colorful layer exfoliates and in places peels off. If the batteries perform their function “excellent” and there is no talk about replacing, then it remains only to update them. To do this, you will need to completely remove the old layer, and then choose the right composition for staining. There is different paint for heating radiators. Which is better. We will tell you today.
The main criterion that is taken into account when choosing a composition for staining heating radiators is the heat resistance of the paint. Information about the technical characteristics is indicated on the packaging. If it is written that the recommended use temperature is less than 80 degrees, then this composition for painting batteries is not suitable. When staining with such paint, when it is heated, yellowing and exfoliation of the coating will occur. This happens due to the usual interior paint of polymer components or chalk, not designed for severe heating. In “correct” paint, the binder and pigments have heat resistance.
The main characteristics of paint for batteries:
- Heat resistance;
- Resistance to abrasion;
- Moisture resistance;
- Lack of smell during heating;
- High thermal conductivity;
- Quick drying.
Battery staining is performed in twice. Therefore, it is important that the paint dries quickly. However, you should be prepared for the fact that the faster the composition dries, the more noticeable and sharper its smell.
Attention should be paid to the texture that the surface acquires after staining. It is matte and glossy. It must be understood that the gloss well emphasizes all defects in the stained surface. If the cast.Iron battery has a rough gourmet surface, then it is better for it to choose a dim matte paint. Radiator cast iron often has defects that glossy coating will only emphasize.
In order not to make a mistake with the choice, it is better to purchase paint on which it eats a note that it is designed to paint heating radiators. Such compositions also have a note that they quickly dry after applying
Types of batteries
When deciding which paint to choose for batteries, the main attention should be drawn to the base of the dye, but the aesthetic characteristics are also very important.
Acrylic enamel for radiators from a group of water.Based dyes has a large number of advantages. Among them, special attention is attracted by the following:
- Safety and lack of smell. Such paints do not distinguish harmful substances, therefore they do not pose a danger to humans and animals.
- Quick drying. One layer of paint dries for half an hour, provided that the air temperature in the room is 18-23 degrees.
- Good moisture repellent properties.
- Stability of coating to mechanical influences.
Acrylic dyes are an excellent option for painting heating devices, as they have appropriate technical and aesthetic characteristics. The appearance of the battery painted with an acrylic composition is slightly similar to plastic with a light shine. The color of the paint is juicy and bright. It is this option that is ideal for the answer to the question, what paint to paint heating batteries without smell.
A distinctive feature of such colors is resistance to high temperatures while preserving the original type and basic technical and aesthetic qualities. Therefore, during operation, the coating will not become yellow and cracks and chips do not appear on it.
Is it possible to paint hot batteries
Definitely. It is impossible. Paint, even alkyd, will dry very quickly, literally “on a brush”. The coating in the presence of heating will have many defects: frozen streams, uneven coloring, thick layer of paint, when covering very hot radiators, the paint will simply bubulate, while the first sink, the heating devices will peel (or earlier).
If you very, very much need to paint hot batteries, you need to block the taps and wait until the battery has cooled to 30 ° C. If the heating season cannot be replaced and it is impossible to block, it is better to be patient until the heating is turned off. There are still special paints for applying on hot surfaces, but how to paint the internal and back with your own hands is a big question. Even special paints for heating devices should be used in aerosol form. This will provide uniform application (on the front side).
In any case, painting with your own hands of an unexpressed battery is practically possible only on the front side, which means that this is a light cosmetic repair of the heating system.
Acrylic enamel without smell
They produce such water.Based paints, they contain film.Forming components called polyacrylates. Since they practically do not smell, they are called enamels for heating radiators without smell.
Despite their property, after work in a closed room, it should be ventilated. The fact is that acrylic paints are still chemical compounds, which means that they have harmful evaporation, albeit in fewer products than in products based on solvents.
Acrylic paints decorate facades, walls, they are used in painting. For heating batteries, they are not suitable. For radiators, you need to use enamel for metal, the temperature range of which is at least 70 ° C. They are bred with water, and after complete drying, they do not soak and do not wash.
The elastic half.Gloss or matte film formed on the painted surface is similar to the plastic surface, it does not crack and it can be washed.
Acrylic paint for heating batteries without smell is sold in a packaged form, in buckets. At the objects of authorized sale, each consumer can order the color you like, using the RAL palette. Tint enamel using special pigments.
But since acrylic paint for heating batteries has a water base, before applying it, it is necessary to carefully prepare the surfaces. First, the rust should be removed, the radiator is treated with a rust converter, then degrease and, if necessary, close up, and be sure to primed. Only after that can you start painting pipes and batteries. If you neglect the preparatory step, then soon the spots of rust will take the layer of paints.
There are enamels on sale that does not require a primer, but all other preliminary measures must be performed completely. An example of acrylic paint for batteries without a smell is the water soil-color Aquamalle. It is used for painting black metal and cast iron products. This paint for galvanized surfaces and non.Ferrous metals is not used.
Staining radiators is possible by any paints, it is important to choose the right composition and observe the application technology.
Proper priming of heating devices
The primer of the battery provides for the following actions:
- Initially, with the help of specials and spatula, the previous paint is removed. Plots affected by rust also clean.
- Applying the emery, it is required to grind all the roughnesses and bring the battery coating to a smooth state.
- Then the surface of the device is degreased (for this, white spiteration is used).
- At the end, the coating of the battery is covered with a primer with anti.Corrosion qualities and improves paint adhesion with the surface of the structure.
Is it possible to paint hot heating batteries
The influence of hot water will become a provoking factor in the early fault of batteries. After time, corrosion foci are found on the metal coating. To prevent such a process, special forces of varnishes are used for radiator painting.
How to paint old rusted heater covers
Important! High.Quality paint should cope with elevated temperatures, have a persistent film structure and maintain the initial color for a long time. In addition, when the repair is carried out in the winter, it is advisable to choose a remedy without sharp smells.
How to calculate the paint consumption
On the labels, the manufacturer always means the average LKP consumption for 1 m². Thus, it is not difficult to determine the required amount of enamel when it comes to flat radiator models. But here we should not forget about staining the inside of the battery. With cast iron radiators-harms are still more complicated.
In this case, technical documentation will come to the aid to heating devices, usually the total area of the product is indicated in it. If the registration certificate is not preserved, special online calculators are used.
The online calculator takes into account all the parameters of the upcoming work:
- Battery model.
- The number of sections.
- Type of paint.
- The need for staining the pipeline.
- The estimated number of layers.
Automatically the program gives the result in kilograms, taking into account 10%of the reserve or the total surface area for painting, according to which you are your own right volume of the product.
How to remove old paint
The basic rule of staining of bo-radiators is cleaning from the old paintwork. This task can be performed in one of two ways (or in complex):
For high.Quality cleaning and subsequent staining, it is better to remove the battery from the wall.
Mechanical cleaning involves the removal of old LKP with shade agents.
- First, the battery, and, if necessary, the pipe is cleaned of dust and other contaminants with a damp cloth. For the best result, you can use the vacuum cleaner.
- Then the surface is thoroughly faded with sandpaper. Rust is completely removed. To accelerate the process, a drill with a warrior with a rigid bristle or a grinding machine is used. To remove paint in hard.To.Reach places, you can use a construction hair dryer, it is heated by enamel, which is then removed by a scraper.
- At the end, the working surface is again diluted and degreased.
Mechanical cleaning has a lot of disadvantages:
On a note! If the paintwork on the radiator does not detect signs of wear (swelling, detachment, rust), but still requires replacement, it can not be removed. To ensure clutch with fresh enamel, the coating of the radiator is slightly sprinkled.
For chemical cleaning, special preparations, washing are used. They soften the coating that has served their age and stimulate its exfoliation from the metal.
- They must be applied with a dense uniform layer with a brush with natural bristles. The gel form of the drug holds well on the surface.
- Through the time indicated by the manufacturer, the washing time is simply removed with a wooden spatula along with dissolved paint, and the radiator is washed with soap water.
- The purified battery is additionally treated with corrosion inhibitor, and then degreased.
On a note! Some manufacturers produce washing with corrosion inhibitor already included in the inhibitor. They cost a little more, but significantly reduce the time to prepare the radiator for painting.
It is important to remember that chemical reagents are toxic and fuel. Therefore, work must be performed in a well.Ventilated room away from the sources of fire. Personal protective equipment will also be useful. Respirator, gloves and glasses.
The need to update
The service life of radiators from cast iron or aluminum may exceed 50 years, but if the paint has faded and swollen from time to time in the old batteries in an apartment or kitchen, then in such an unpresentable form they clearly attract attention and can hardly be considered a decoration of the house
The solution to the problem by replacing batteries due to a considerable cost of this method can hardly be considered the best option. And painting radiators can re.Make a completely acceptable way out of the situation.
In this case, several factors should be taken into account:
- Not all types of heating radiators can be painted on their own at home. Often, especially in case of incorrect choice of dye, it will either quickly turn yellow or become peeled soon.
- Batteries, as you know, are made of cast iron, aluminum, steel or can be bimetallic. Staining cast iron radiators, in principle, does not cause problems. It all depends only on the competent choice of paint for this purpose. But in the case of aluminum radiators, convectors or batteries made of stainless steel, the situation looks different.
Bachelor apartment design 70 sq. M. Simvol RD Room Tour
Such elements of the heating system are painted with a powder method at the manufacturer with subsequent heat treatment.
Therefore, applying a new layer of paint on top of the factory colorful coating at home is a serious problem.
- The overwhelming majority of manufacturers of heating radiators made not from cast iron, attempts by unauthorized painting of the batteries are considered as a violation by the consumer of the factory guarantee.
- Emalevic dyes after their drying cover the products with a strong and monolithic layer, completely eliminating the penetration of air to the metal surface. If oxygen nevertheless receives at least insignificant access through the paintwork, then the protection of metal products from corrosion should be called into question, while it is the protective functions in most cases that are the main reason for the coloring of the radiators.
- It is curious that passports for all heating batteries contain a categorical ban that does not allow to paint over the release of the air on an automatic air vent. That is, if you apply the paint to this hole, then if necessary, the air from the heating system will be almost impossible to suffer. This circumstance should be taken into account when performing painting work.
- The color of aluminum and made of stainless steel radiators in the factory is carried out by powder dyes, which after their application are subjected to heat treatment at high temperatures in special boxes. It is clear that the creation of such technological conditions at home is not possible. Ordinary oil and other dyes due to their low adhesion on aluminum and steel surfaces will not last long.
- Reliable staining of aluminum requires special equipment for this purpose, as well as the use of epoxy primers and enamels, which is very expensive. In addition, deviations from technology will inevitably lead to detachment of the newly applied coating. There is also an anode oxidation method, but it is associated with significant technological difficulties and requires certain knowledge.
- If the consumer has a successful experience in painting the car body and paint materials corresponding to the task, then you can try to paint aluminum batteries. But otherwise it is better to refuse this venture. In this case, it is more advisable to buy new heating elements, or cover the peeling products with a decorative screen.
- A separate moment is steel convectors. They are equipped with a frequent ridge made of steel plates strung on a couple of pipes. The so.Called “comb”. If you try to paint these plate ribs, then there will be an undesirable effect of a sharp decrease in heat transfer. It is also impossible to get to the pipes themselves with a narrow brush. Therefore, it is better to refuse the color of these surfaces.
The process of painting heating radiator
Having finally making a decision regarding which paint to paint the heating batteries, all actions should be performed in accordance with the following order:
- Initially, you need to protect the floor from pollution, closing it so that the spots of the paint do not fall on it. For these purposes, unnecessary paper (for example, old wallpapers) or fabric is perfect.
- Then you should choose brushes with soft bristles. Over, one of them should have a direct shape, and the other. Curved so that you can apply paint to the most inaccessible areas of the radiator.
- Apply the coloring composition first you need to at the top of the battery, gradually moving to its bottom. At the same time, do not forget that you need to paint all areas of the radiator, starting with internal floors and ending with external. This is done in this order in order not by chance not to paint your clothes or hands. After the first layer of the composition dries, you need to apply the second. Experienced masters recommend: regardless of which paint to paint cast.Iron batteries or batteries from another material, it will be much more correct to apply two thin layers than one thick one, since it is in the first case that it will be possible to provide an uniform coating of paint. “What is the paint for heating batteries. Views, features of use for radiators”.
Having completed all of the above actions in this sequence, it will be possible to achieve a perfectly even and smooth surface of the radiator, and the paint itself will last a very long time (about “proper painting of heating pipes, how exactly and what paint is better to paint”). The main thing is to choose the right composition that will be as suitable for a specific heating battery.
If necessary, you can always study various photos of coloring options for these devices in order to best choose the desired color scheme for yourself.