Step-by-step instructions for constructing a smoke extraction system
To put the equipment into operation, it is necessary to take into account the ventilation of the room. If there is no air exchange, a forced turbo exhaust hood must be installed. Without it the commissioning of the gas boiler is not possible. We will consider how to install the hood for a gas boiler in a private home on the example of coaxial chimney. The length of the pipe from the boiler room to the street for this type of extraction is not more than two meters.
- Getting to work, make sure that the installation of the gas boiler rules and regulations, approved by the inspection organizations, in order to avoid redoing the entire building.
- Choose the appropriate material for the exhaust, taking into account the parameters of the gas outlet: inlet of the gas boiler = diameter of the pipe.
- Calculating the power of fans and their number, taking into account how long the hood, the number of bends in its structure, and the position in space in relation to the horizon, at what height is located in the room exhaust pipe.
- Do not forget about the features of budget equipment specified in the data sheet.
- All materials used in the work must be fireproof and non-corrosive.
- After making sure that all the parts are intact, proceed to assembly. We join the chimney elbow to the branch pipe of the gas boiler, using a tee.
- To build up the coaxial pipe and connect all its parts use special crimped clamps and fireproof sealants.
- Turbo-extractor is used if the geometry of the pipe has more than two bends. This helps to preserve the efficiency of the gas boiler. The fan and all sensors are installed after the installation of the supply pipe.
- Installation of coaxial chimney outside the building is no different from the installation of conventional sandwich chimney.
How to choose and install the ventilation grid for the window sill
Outside the building
After laying the pipe for the exhaust device in the house, the design of the hood for the gas boiler goes to the outside.
- Once the pipe has been brought outdoors through the hole in the wall, it must be closed with special metal plates. The space left between the pipe and the wall is filled with mineral wool.
- Now install a tee. The bottom hole is closed with a plug with a revision for cleaning the pipe.
- We extend the flue to the desired length by connecting the parts with a special sealant and clamps with gaskets. As the pipe grows, attach it to special brackets.
- We install a protective cone on top of the chimney and additionally fix it on extensions in those places.
- If the chimney construction has not been coated with a special paint in production, it can be done at home. This is done to protect the metal from the environment.
When ordering a street chimney system, it is important to consider where the forced exhaust begins from the gas boiler or from the room where the turbo elements are installed.
To see how to connect the gas boiler to the chimney system and how to assemble it, you can see in the video.
Inside the house
Inside the house installation coaxial chimney, in detail, with Комментарии и мнения владельцев, was described above. The only step you have to take is to connect the two pipes street and room by the method of extending. For additional insulation the use of special metal adhesive tape is recommended.
Want to note an important advantage of the coaxial chimney. is the absence of additional holes in the roof or the wall of your home.
Variety of chimneys for gas boilers
The chimney for the gas boiler can be made of different materials. Consider the main materials from which the chimney communications are made:
Flexible chimneys made of corrugated pipes. Some elements of such flues are made of aluminum foil. To give rigidity to the corrugated structure is equipped with a special spiral, which is made of steel wire. The main advantage of such pipes is easy installation.
Please note! If necessary, corrugated pipes can be bent at any angle, as well as to change their length.
Aluminum chimneys. Aluminum chimneys have the following advantages: low weight, ease of installation. And also the use of such chimneys can avoid the formation of condensation inside the chimney during the operation of heating equipment. Of the disadvantages of aluminum chimneys can be identified one main. the need to arrange heat insulation.
Exhaust systems made of galvanized steel. Galvanized steel has high strength characteristics and useful anti-corrosion qualities. Like pipes made of aluminum, these products also need to organize heat insulation.
Steel chimneys of different types, including double-walled ones, are suitable for gas boilers
Flues made of sandwich pipes. Sandwich pipe. a product that is represented by two pipes (one of them is located in the other) and a layer of insulating material between them. Experts recommend installing sandwich chimneys in those cases where the communication needs to be laid through the ceiling or roof.
Installation in the apartment
When installing gas heaters in such conditions, you may encounter difficulties that do not exist in a private home. In most cases, in the kitchens of apartments there are only ventilation shafts, not designed for chimney. In such a situation, it is best to bring the coaxial gas outlet to the facade of the building.
For apartments equipped with a chimney, the situation is much easier. In this case, it is sufficient to fix the corrugation on the flange of the appliance and take it out into the existing channel. The main thing is to avoid sagging of the flexible pipe, so that countercurrents are not formed.
How to properly install the chimney on the speaker
SNIP and SP stipulate in detail the rules for connecting the gas water heater to the chimney system. Practice shows that mistakes are often made at the stage of installation of the pipe. Incorrect connection of the gas-fired boiler to the chimney leads to malfunctions and easily becomes the cause of an emergency situation.
During the annual inspection stove operator or gas inspector, checking the flue ducts will point out violations related to connection and will write an act for their correction. If you do not perform the described adjustments, the heater is disconnected from the gas main. Here are the main issues related to connection and common mistakes and violations.
Is it possible to combine the hood with a duct from the column
Existing requirements categorically prohibit the installation of a gas-fired water heater in a room with artificial ventilation. In other words, a gas-fired column with forced venting in the same room is a gross violation of SNiP and SP. There are several reasons for the ban:
Checking Your Boiler Part 3: Venting and Chimney
- there is a possibility of carbon monoxide entering the room used as a boiler room;
- Increases the risk of spread of CO through the vent duct to the neighbors living floors above.
Basic requirements for a gas heater hood:
- It is forbidden to install equipment for forced circulation, which closes the natural outflow of air from the room;
- The gas heater and the hood in one chimney is not installed, since the channel can not cope with the load, according to SP 62.13330 (SNiP 42-01-2002). If any irregularities are detected, the gas supply is stopped until they are eliminated.
- You can connect the gas boiler to a vent or duct designed to exhaust combustion products. Connection to a normal kitchen duct is strictly prohibited.
Particular care must be taken when connecting water heaters in older residential buildings. Ventilation in khrushchevkas with gas columns is arranged so that the air exchange is carried out at the expense of natural circulation of air flows. Separate ducts for the bathroom and toilet in khrushchevka not provided.
A window was made in the wall between the rooms. When taking a bath was necessary to open the window, located in the partition.
Khrushchev houses are sensitive to any disturbance in air circulation. Malfunctions in the speaker can cause:
- Glazing with metal-plastic windows. a supply and exhaust valve is installed in the profile, between the door to the kitchen and the floor leave a gap of 5 cm.
- Overlap the vent duct with any equipment to increase circulation, and even more so, the simultaneous activation of the hood and gas-fired heater is strictly prohibited.
Signs that the connection to the chimney is made incorrectly: the speaker turns off arbitrarily during operation, turns on with claps, does not light up the first time.
How to calculate the height of the chimney for a gas water heater
The characteristics of the draught largely depends on the right choice of chimney, determining the internal cross-section and the height of the chimney above the heater.
For all gas-consuming hot water equipment there are unified rules of installation. Installation norms are as follows:
- Heat generators with upper outlets must be connected in a vertical section of at least 250 mm, provided that the height of the room is not more than 2.7 m. Minimum distance from the ceiling to the gas heater outlet 25-30 cm.
- The height of the chimney is calculated individually, taking into account the type of roof and the distance from the ridge. Rules apply:
- if the distance from the ridge is not more than 1.5 m, the chimney is raised 0.5 m above the roof;
- Between 1,5-3 m, the chimney is flush with the upper part of the roof;
- In case of gaps over 3 m, the height of the chimney is 10 ° below the roof ridge.
When installing a coaxial chimney for a turbine water heater, you do not need to calculate the height, but you need to determine the distances and gaps between the chimney, windows and other elements of the structure of the building. The following rules apply:
Direct Vent Fireplace. Dumb or Awesome?
|0,5 м||horizontally to open vents, windows and doors.|
|1 м||vertically to the windows, if the chimney goes directly under them.|
|0,5 м||vertical to windows, if the chimney extends directly above them.|
|2 м||from the ground level. no matter if somebody walks on it or not.|
If the height of the pipe is calculated correctly, it will provide a stable draught and affect the performance and efficiency of the water heater.
How to insulate the air duct of a gas water heater
Chimney insulation is required for several reasons:
- Prevention of condensation. flue gases entering the chimney warms the walls of the pipe. The better the channel keeps the heat, the less moisture is produced inside.
- Ensuring good draft characteristics. the faster the chimney heats up and retains heat longer, the greater the air circulation inside the chimney. The best option immediately to install outdoor insulated sandwich chimneys. But if desired, the pipe can be insulated with basalt wool, covering the top with any foil insulation.
- Compliance with fire safety rules. technical requirements for installation in a wooden house prescribe the use of thermal insulation for firebreaks, when passing the floor slabs, walls of the house, the roof pie. Around the heating surface of the chimney when installing through a combustible material provides an opening larger than the pipe at 5 cm. in diameter. The gap is filled with a mineral insulator, and then closed with a flange for the chimney of the gas heater. The surface on top of the heater is finished with any non-combustible finishing material. Suitable is plasterboard, suspended ceilings. The described measures are a condition for the safe operation of the water heater.
What you can paint the exhaust pipe
The peculiarity of the gas column is that during combustion flue gases are emitted, with an average temperature of 300-550 ° C. At the same time, the pipe is exposed to the acid environment, the ambient air. When choosing a paint material, take into account the operating characteristics of the water heater and the load to which the chimney is exposed.
Paints can be divided into several groups:
- Priming mixes. protect the surface from corrosion. In the assortment are mastics and impregnations that eliminate and prevent the appearance of rust, as well as improve paint adhesion to the chimney.
- Organosilicon enamels. after drying can withstand direct heating to a temperature of 600 ° C. Given that the surface temperature of the chimney is rarely rises above 250-300 ° C, the paint will reliably protect the surface of the pipe.
Ordinary enamel for outdoor work to open the chimney prohibited PPB. When strongly heated lacquer can ignite and even cause a fire.
Recommendations for the selection of the chimney
The easiest and cheapest way for a city apartment is to connect a corrugated pipe.
Here it is important to consider that the flue tends to burn through rather quickly. Therefore it will be necessary to inspect the chimney from time to time to detect possible damage.
Thick pipes made of steel or asbestos are too heavy and difficult to install. In addition, you will need to use insulation and cladding sheet metal, which increases costs.
Ceramic designs will be the ideal solution if the owner of the house or apartment is not in the mood to save on materials. Schiedel UNI systems meet all modern requirements, but because of the high cost are not available to the average homeowner.
often than not, the best and most popular solution is the installation of double-circuit chimneys made of heat-resistant steel.
Norms and rules for gas hood installation
The draft for a gas extraction system is compatible with the chimney system because it transports combustion gases across the ductwork.
It is therefore subject to the same requirements as chimneys:
- the design temperature for the choice of material is 200 degrees;
- diameter of the exhaust pipe must be larger than the outlet spigot of the gas column;
- vertical tube at the outlet of the equipment must be at least 50 cm long (halving is allowed in some cases)
- Do not make more than 3 turns of the pipe during installation;
- The exhaust pipe must not be routed through the living rooms;
- The sections of a continuous pipe in new buildings at least 6 m, in old buildings. at least 3 m;
- The clearance between the chimney and the walls of the room depends on the material of the walls: non-combustible. at least 5 cm, flammable, combustible. 25 cm or 10 cm (with additional insulation).
The installation of the pipeline for the gas-fired unit extraction is carried out with a slope towards the gas equipment of not less than 0.01. The walls of the room are pre-insulated. All sections of the flue pipe passing through cold rooms, must also be insulated additionally.
Please note! Each unit of gas equipment requires a separate hood. Common extraction for 2 medium and small gas combustion appliances that are on the same floor is allowed. Their connection to the general chimney is made at different levels.
If there is no flue in the room where the gas heater is installed, mount a root or removable chimney. Allowed the temporary connection of gas equipment to the stove chimney, if it has the necessary performance.
At the same time it is forbidden to install equipment with forced evacuation of combustion products in rooms with stove heating, if there is no forced air supply from the outside. Here way out. coaxial pipeline.
The device chimney in the apartment
When installing and connecting a gas water heater in the apartment, there are some nuances, which you will not encounter in a private home. For example, in apartment buildings, you can rarely find a chimney shaft, only ventilation. And to them to connect the output of gases from a flowing heater is impossible, although many residents do so. And various inspections simply turn a blind eye to this.
The question arises. how to properly install and connect the chimney from the speaker, if there is no special channel in the wall? The surest solution, allowing you to sleep peacefully, is to buy a supercharged water heater and run a coaxial flue outdoors. It is important to maintain all the distances from it to windows and other structures, so as not to have problems with the neighbors. Normalized intervals are shown in the table:
When the chimney in the apartment is still available, the task is greatly simplified. Flammable structures in the panel houses are not found, so you can safely lay the stainless steel corrugated pipe from the pipe device to the entrance to the shaft so that it does not sag. A special flange for the chimney is mounted in the wall, and fastening is done with clamps.
Correct connection. each unit is connected to its own chimney
Recommendations for the placement of the chimney for a gas boiler
The basis for a ban on the installation of the chimney may be insufficient area of the room. The lack of intake and exhaust is also an obstacle.
- You can not place the speaker and the chimney in the living room or bathroom. Bathroom area is usually no more than 8 sq. м.
- Not allowed in kitchens over stoves.
- Standards allow the installation of equipment in the loggia and on the balcony.
- When operating in the kitchen, a ventilation grille must be located underneath.
- Flexible connection to the heater may not exceed 2.5 m.
It is not recommended to hang the heater on the wall adjacent to the living room. If the distance of the flexible gas supply line is more than 2.5 m, steel supply pipes must be lengthened. Only then connect the flexible hose.
Norms and requirements for the installation of the gas heater
Before connecting the water heater should be sure that all documents required for the installation. The order of registration is as follows:
- obtaining the results of the expertise on the condition of the chimney;
- Providing to the gas service technical certificate of the heater;
- Making a project for the connection, with the technical data of the. conditions;
- an application to install the water heater.
How to Install a Combination Boiler/Water Heater | Ask This Old House
After approval of the project in Gorgaza, you will need to prove ownership, providing a passport, documents proving ownership of the apartment or house. After that, a permit will be issued for the installation of a gas water heater.
The contractor’s representatives will cut into the main line, install the counter, hang and connect the water heater. If the customer wishes, the installation can be performed by any organization having the appropriate permission and a license to work at high risk.
The requirements for the premises for the installation of the heater
Gas water heaters are potentially dangerous equipment. The room where the boiler will be installed must comply with fire safety requirements, the rules described in SNiP and SP, as well as the recommendations of manufacturers.
The main criteria and requirements for the room used as a boiler room:
- Ceiling height is not less than 2.2 m;
- There is natural, supply and exhaust ventilation, providing triple air replacement;
- must have a window or a window that can be opened;
- Total floor area not less than 12 m².
Any non-residential premises that fulfil the above requirements may be used as a boiler room. It is not allowed to connect the boiler in living rooms: kitchen-studios, living rooms. In rooms with high humidity (bathroom, toilet) it is strictly forbidden to install.
Technical requirements for premises for installation of gas-fired flow and storage water heaters may vary depending on the region. Before proceeding with the paperwork, you should ask what rules apply in your area.
How to hang the heater on the wall, at what height
Regulatory documents stipulate the mounting height and type of walls and partitions, on which the installation of gas water heaters is allowed. Appropriate clearances and safety distances between the boiler and other gas consuming equipment.
Boilers must be installed at a distance of at least 25-30 cm from the ceiling. 80-120 cm from the floor to the cabinet. Accordingly, the boiler is installed at a height of about 180-200 cm on the top edge. Compliance is necessary to ensure good air circulation. The regulated height of the gas-fired heater from the floor may vary depending on the type of heater (atmospheric or turbine).
- Type of partition surfaces. the BSS allow for the installation on a wall made of thick building material with a high level of fire resistance. Below are the main types of walls and describes the existing nuances of installation:
- Installation in a wooden house. possible with additional protection. Requirement due to fire hazard of wood. In the place where the speaker is installed, the wooden wall surface is protected with a steel sheet and asbestos 3 mm or more in thickness. According to the PPB, provide fire breaks in places where the chimney passes through partitions and ceilings. The wooden wall can be covered with a layer of special plaster 3 cm thick. Another option: to prepare a place for installation by making a partition of non-combustible materials (masonry). To hang the water heaters on a wooden wall use the anchors provided. It is not recommended to hang water heaters with wood screws.
- Plastic panels. the installation of gas water heaters is prohibited. Violation results in refusal to commission the equipment. Boilers can not be hung on the plastic panel for several reasons: there will be no gap between the heater body and the wall (not less than 2 cm on requirements), the material is flammable and combustible. You can try to bypass this prohibition. Based on existing standards, you can not fix the heater on the plastic panels, but do not bring the material to the place of the already installed gas equipment. It is important to take care of the necessary clearances.
- Concrete surface. the material is fully compliant with safety standards. The exception is a reinforced concrete wall used as a bearing structure. Mounting is carried out on the usual building anchors.
- Brick wall. installation is permitted. The exception is partitions made of hollow brick, which cannot provide a secure hold.
- Wall made of gypsum board. the norms allow such placement, provided certain conditions are met. Gypsum plasterboard is not flammable, but easily amenable to mechanical stress, so by itself can not provide a secure fixation of the speaker. Hanging a boiler on a gypsum wall in a place where the surface was additionally reinforced in the construction of the metal frame. Usually, to strengthen the load-bearing capacity, a wooden bar is installed inside the profiles. The wall is puttied for painting, or tiled with ceramic tiles.
Installing the system of combustion products removal
Gas heaters must be connected to a separate chimney with natural circulation. Forced draught is prohibited. When passing through floor slabs and roofs, provide for fire breaks. General requirements:
- The chimney shall be made of a material capable of withstanding strong heat without deformation and burning, resistant to condensation;
- No sagging is allowed, there must be a good fixation to the walls of the house;
- The diameter of the pipe is determined by the manufacturer of the speaker, it is forbidden to narrow the chimney;
- exterior parts shall be insulated.
Specifications for installation of turbine gas heaters without a chimney stack provide for connection to a vertical or horizontal coaxial chimney. In the case of a horizontal outlet of the chimney system take into account SP 60.13330 (SNiP 41-01-2003) with a description of the necessary gaps:
|The chimney outlet||Minimum gaps, distances (m)|
|Under the air inlet ventilation||2,5|
|Near the ventilation outlet||0,6|
|Under a window||prohibited|
|Near the window||0,5|
|Above a window, a vent||0,25|
|From ground level||2,2|
|Bottom of parts of the building projecting over 0.4 m||3|
|Under parts of the building projecting less than 0,4 m||0,3|
|Near another chimney||1,5|
|Under another coaxial pipe||2,5|
Which hose should connect the gas to the water heater
Norms are stipulated in SP 62.13330. It is strictly forbidden to use water hoses for gas connection. Permitted use:
- rubber hose reinforced with textile thread;
- Hose with protective metal braid, with polymer core;
- Metal bellows hose.
Recently, representatives of the Municipal Gas Inspectorate prohibit connecting gas appliances with a flexible rubber hose. In some regions only bellows sleeve installation is allowed.
On the possibility of using a flexible gas hose for a gas-fired boiler should be checked with the control authorities in the area of residence. Bellows sleeve has a long service life and fully complies with all requirements set forth in SNIP.
How to connect a water heater to the plumbing
No special connection requirements. When selecting the material, you should be guided by the following parameters:
Water connection to gas water heaters is most often done with flexible hoses. No rigid connection simplifies installation work.
You can connect reinforced polypropylene, directly to the inlet / outlet pipe water heaters. There is a layer of fiberglass or metal braid inside, preventing breakage and sagging when heated. Connection of cold and hot water is made with polypropylene pipes designed for DHW and HTW.
When you connect yourself often confused order of location of the inlet and outlet pipe. Cold pipe must be connected to the supply, hot on the return. Scheme of connecting a gas water heater to the water supply is given in the technical documentation. In the factory packaging spigots marked red (DHW) and blue (DHW) plug, which facilitates installation.
How to hide the pipes from the water heater
Plumbing can be laid in chinks, hidden in a box, etc.п. There are virtually no restrictions. It is necessary to wrap the pipes in merilon to prevent the damping of the wall and the emergence of condensation.
The principle of connecting the gas is somewhat different. The construction standards clearly stipulate that the pipeline must remain open. The rules allow the use of a decorative box, provided that it will open. To hide a gas pipe in a wall or to cover with trim panels is strictly prohibited.