Replacing the cuff on the washing machine with your own hands
The cuff for the washing machine is used as a seal for the boot hatch. Its task is to prevent the hatch from leaking when the machine is in operation. Consequently, its importance is difficult to overestimate. Even small metal objects (coins, brassiere bones, etc.) can damage the rubber seal of the washing machine.e ) or metal objects on the clothes caught in the inner compartment of the machine during washing. How to replace the rubber door seal with your own hands?
How to put a clamp on the washing machine elastic band
Water leaking out of the washing machine drum. it’s not safe and troublesome. But independent replacement of the rubber seal on the hatches and inept attempts to put the clamp back on the cuff, often lead to this situation. To avoid leaks and other related problems, you should not act at random. It is better to understand in advance the intricacies of such work. We will talk about this in detail below.
How to put the cuff on the drum of an Indesit washing machine?
How to hands put a rubber band on the drum of the washing machine Indesit? The collar is actually pulled over the edges of the tank, not the drum itself. The master, who has already “got a hand”, will cope with such a task in a few minutes. If you are removing and installing the rubber band for the first time, you will have to “work” with it. Let’s look at how the process of removing the old sealing collar and installing a new one, and give a couple of tips that will make the repair much easier.
What materials and tools are needed?
In order to put on the cuff of the washing machine drum you need only two tools: pliers (preferably small) and a small flat screwdriver. Yes, and the list of materials is not great, but we need to talk a little more about the materials.
- Cuff. When purchasing a new cuff, make sure it is identical to the old one that was previously worn on the drum, or at least compatible with your model of washing machine.
- Inner and outer clamps. If you still have the “native” clamps intact after removing the old cuff, good. If the clamps are damaged, they must be discarded, and instead buy a set of cheap plastic clamps for the door collar of a front-loading washing machine.
- Fine sandpaper, soap, water and a sponge. These materials will help prepare the seating area for the rubber band. Clean the metal edges of the hatch from the permanently stuck dirt, wash them with soapy water.
With soap, we not only wash the seating for the cuff, soap acts as a lubricant that will help settle the rubber where it is needed. Just do not think as a lubricant to use WD-40 or machine oil. it will then get on things during the wash.
Preparing the seating
To facilitate the installation of the washing machine cuff, it is better to first remove the front wall of the washer. Doing this on purpose is laborious and time consuming, but if you were, for example, repairing a part and the wall was removed, it is better to put the hatch rubber on first, before putting the wall back in its rightful place. How to remove the front wall correctly is described in the article Disassembling the Washing Machine, which is published on our site.
It is possible to install the cuff without removing the front wall of the washing machine, but it will be a little more difficult to do. To begin with let us examine the seating. After 3-4 years of using a washing machine under the cuff accumulates a layer of water stone, powder residue and other crap. We try to wash the seating with a sponge, soap and water. We make sure that all the dirt can not be removed this way, take for sandpaper. Scrape off the dirt, and then wash off the rest of it with soap and water, the preparation is over.
How to change the gum in a washing machine
Problems with the automatic washing machine are common, but some of them can be solved by yourself, if you know the cause. Easily solved when the washing machine‘s rubber band, which is the gasket between the inside and outside of the unit, breaks. After all, replacing the rubber band is not a problem at all.
How to repair/ adjust a washing machine motor belt
How to Replace a Washing Machine with Your Own Hands
In any model of washing machine, the gasket rubber has the same function. it serves as a sealant. It reliably seals the space between the shell and the tank. If the integrity of this part is compromised, water can seep into the electrics. the control board.
The second rubber band. the one you see every day. is on the door. It prevents water from spilling out of the drum and prevents short circuits.
Install a new rubber band
The sealing lip is one of the most critical parts of any oil sealing repair, because it must form a proper seal. The step-by-step procedure is as follows:
- Unpack the clamps and set aside the inner and outer clamps separately;
- With the help of markings place the cuff in the correct position. In most models, the triangle corresponds to the top of the seal, and the bottom has a hole for the hose;
- fill the rubber on the tank in strict accordance with the markings, tuck it into the drum;
- Unscrew the two screws and remove the locking lock;
- Insert the tip of a screwdriver into the lock, this will help to fix the clamp immovably;
- Install the internal collar;
- Put the lock in place;
- spread the rubber around the outer circumference of the housing;
Try closing the hatch, and if it comes out without effort, then you have placed the sealing collar correctly. Run the test wash program to check for leaks and tightness. Rubber is installed tightly, if there are no leaks.
Repair of washing machines is better to trust professionals.
Introducing you to our unique directory of private handymen and service centers. BigWash.Go to
How to replace a washing machine belt on a Bosch washer
Choose in the filter your city and masters: by rating, reviews, price!
Causes of damage to the rubber band
Like any other part of the device, the rubber can simply wear out during prolonged use.
To prevent premature loss of elasticity, it is advisable to wipe it with a dry cloth after each use.
Most often, however, the cuff must be replaced if it has been mechanically damaged:
- has chafed against the inside of the body of the washer
- is infested with fungus that cannot be removed with chemical disinfectants;
- loosened through the use of aggressive agents or low-quality detergent;
- is frayed or damaged by frequent washing of heavy or hard objects (caps with visors, outerwear, shoes)
- damaged due to careless use (rough loading or removal of laundry from the drum after washing);
- was torn by foreign sharp objects accidentally caught with the laundry (keys, coins, bra bones).
What are the signs that the cuff is damaged and needs to be replaced?? Pay attention to these points:
- water appears (under or near the appliance);
- The door of the boot lid stopped closing or does not close tightly;
- the operation of the device is accompanied by a sound reminiscent of hissing or knocking.
If you have suspected something wrong, you must not hesitate. Stop the SM, drain the water from the tank through the emergency drain or drainage filter and take measures to fix the malfunction.
Read how to remove the elastic band from the drum quickly and correctly.
GE Top Load Washer Won’t Spin? Replace Drive Belt #WH01X10302
Why is there wear and tear?
Repair of washing machines is an expensive pleasure, that is why their operation is treated with care. Continuous negligence in its care leads to disastrous results. the first one to tear the seal made of rubber. Its role is extremely important. it provides a seal between the drum and the electrical components. Wear of the rubber could be the result of several factors:
But most wear and tear is due to natural causes: friction against the laundry and the drum wears the rubber down. The metal parts in the seal (clamps) also make holes. If the damage is in the bends, you can’t repair the belt. Otherwise you can try to patch the worn-out area.
Important! Using cheap powder also has a negative effect on the rubber. Trying to save money on detergents can result in costly repairs. This is especially true for older models for which you can no longer find new seals.