HOW TO CHOOSE A SILICONE MOLD?
Such molds are made of chemically inert silicone that does not emit harmful substances when heated. That is why many housewives have been using them with pleasure for a long time. But we always advise to choose only high quality products, such as Italian molds SiliKoMart, as in the pursuit of cheapness you can often run into toxic materials. It is better to buy dishes made of food or medical silicone.
When you come to the store, just smell the product. Quality molds will not emit pungent rubber odors. If not, we advise you to look for another manufacturer.
The advantages of silicone molds
- It’s very versatile! See for yourself: it fits in any oven, microwave, you can even put it in the freezer (it can withstand temperatures from.40 to 240), so it’s great for baking and freezing (for example, mousse cakes).
- Manufacturers recommend lubricating such a mold only once. before the first use. Many housewives say that they skip this step altogether. and baked goods always come out perfectly, since silicone has wonderful nonstick properties. In any case, if it makes you feel better, you can grease the mold at least every time. it won’t make things worse. By the way, many chefs use vegetable oil rather than butter for this. And how to prepare a biscuit ring read here.
- Not only pies and muffins cook perfectly in silicone. You can safely use round, square and rectangular molds for cooking meat, vegetables and fish.
- And you can store them however you like. bend them, roll them up into a tube, put them in the narrowest storage space. These molds will not warp and will return to their original appearance instantly.
Important rules of silicone molds usage
- Make sure to wash the tart tin thoroughly before using it for the first time.
- Rinse with water after every use.
- Do not wash it with hard brushes, this will damage the mold.
- You categorically must not put the silicone product on fire. it will simply burn.
- Do not store near sharp and metal objects.
- The cakes are easy enough to remove. just turn the mold upside down. Large pies can be reached with silicone or wooden spatulas.
How to choose the right one?
The wide range of silicone molds often confuses customers: which one is better to buy? Because you really want the product not only to be absolutely safe, but also to last for many years. So, what you need to pay attention to?
- Temperature range. Generally speaking, all molds can easily withstand the conditions of a hot oven or freezer. But before buying, it is advisable to make sure that the temperature resistance of the material exceeds the maximum power of your oven or aerogrill.
- Color. Overly bright coloring of the molds often indicates a low quality of the tint used in their manufacture. Therefore, it is better to give preference to products in muted tones.
- Shape. As a rule, funny shapes like bears, roses, etc. are better suited for baking or freezing jelly beans. п. But for baking vegetables, fish and other “serious” dishes it is better to use the classic rectangular, square or round “tubs”. Also note that the presence of small parts, such as carvings, makes it somewhat difficult to wash the mold and remove the finished product from it.
- Smell. Good-quality products for baking should not smell.
- Manufacturer’s firm. The more positive reviews about a particular brand, the higher the chances that the purchased thing will last a long time. But, unfortunately, it is practically impossible to be fully insured against fakes.
Silicone, used for kitchen utensils, is inert. It does not absorb food odors, does not emit toxins, does not stick and does not freeze to surfaces. So wherever the silicone mold is. in the oven, freezer, microwave, multicooker or aerogrill. you can say with confidence about its harmlessness.
Whether it is necessary to oil the silicone form before the first use of the form necessarily lubricate, and further it is determined by the wish of the hostess. In most cases, there is no strict need for this activity.
Silicon Forms for Loafing A very interesting and convenient option, I guess, if they are as comfortable to bake in as they usually are in silicone molds. Silicone molds also do not need to be lubricated, only the very first time you renew the molds, they need to be lubricated with vegetable oil.
How to clean the silicone forms from the remains of dried up grease? Dishwashing detergent with the addition of mustard powder is suitable. It is necessary to apply the composition on a sponge and gently wash the products with circular movements. Before the procedure, the mold should be kept in hot water to clean the dirt more easily.
It is worth noting that the peak temperature mode of high-temperature sealant is at 250 degrees. However, some manufacturers strengthen their products and put from 280 to 300 degrees.
Some manufacturers recommend doing this before each cooking. The packaging should also indicate the maximum allowable temperature for baking. not all forms can withstand temperatures above 200 degrees Celsius. Silicone also should not be placed on an open fire or in an oven on the grill.
But it is the metal molds that can be split, so it is convenient to bake biscuits in them or do multilayer cakes with jelly, as well as cakes that cannot be turned upside down while baking. You can replace such a form with a heavy ring, which is placed directly on the baking tray (do not forget to put baking paper).
Does it make sense to grease the mold?
It has already been said that baked goods in silicone molds do not stick, perhaps with only a few exceptions. But if you want you can oil the mold, it will not cause any problems. This is a “horse’s throw”, so that the cake will not stick to the form for sure.
You have to use refined oil, since it is odorless.
Another thing is if you wash the mold in the dishwasher. Then, before you put the dough in the mold and put it in the oven, you need to grease necessarily.
By the way, the softness of silicone molds makes some uncomfortable. Especially if you bake in it for the first time. Usually hostesses act in the same way as in the case of using a metal or ceramic mold, and this is wrong, because the mold and its contents are easily deformed.
After removing the cake or muffin, you need to rinse it with warm water and a sponge.
And so, having bought a soft mold, you should pick up a special stand or tray under it exactly the same shape. A rack will also work. And put both items in the oven at once.
- When making a tall cake (cupcake or pudding), keep in mind that the mold may topple under the weight of its contents, so it is better to immediately set it in a pan of suitable circumference and continue cooking “as a duo”.
- When cooking any dish, it is recommended to fill the mold after placing it on the tray (stand).
- Keep in mind that in both gas and electric ovens, the mold must not come in contact with the walls or an open flame.
How to use the silicone dish.
What a useful and convenient invention these silicone molds for baking ! No storage problems (can be folded in half and rolled into tube); easy to remove from the mould (just turn inside out); 100% non-stick. no oil or grease is required (you “grease” only once, the very first time); the baking process is more rapid than in conventional metal or ceramic counterparts. And what a beauty is laid by designers on the bottom of the molds.
It is no coincidence that silicone molds are deservedly the must-have item in the “gentlemen’s kit” of hostesses for the kitchen. However, in order not to make a mistake with the choice of the product and know exactly how to use the first time you should take into account some features.
How to choose a silicone mold for baking
The abundance of options on the shelves should not mislead potential customers who base their choice only on visual criteria. It is much more important to pay attention to the quality of the silicone itself.
- Technical silicone is made from cheap materials using harmful dyes that react with food when heated and can harm your health.
- Medical silicone meets all the requirements of food equipment and does not pose a threat even to children’s bodies.
How to determine the quality of silicone
- The basic way to determine if a silicone mold is safe is by the smell it emits. An unpleasant chemical or rubbery odor (not only when cold, but also when heated) should warn against buying.
- Another sure criterion for quality is that the molds return to the same condition without whitish marks after bending.
- Finally, as stated above, bright acidic shades are probably produced by harmful dyes, so it is better to opt for natural and light colors of molds.
How to Use Silicone Molds
Question: can you use immediately after purchase?
Question: does it is necessary to grease the silicone form for baking?
Question: Is there a temperature limit??
Question: Can I take a baking dish out immediately??
HOW TO USE BAKING SILICONE MOLDS | SILICONE MOLD BAKING
- The answer is: after the product is ready, the mold must be left to rest again on a flat surface until it cools, and then, with a slight bend in the edges, remove the baked goods undamaged.
These are the main criteria for choosing and using the most convenient kitchen utensils. silicone molds for baking and freezing.
Are silicone baking pans safe in the oven?
It is absolutely safe to bake in the oven with silicone molds. The maximum permitted temperature for their use is 250 C. This property of the products gives hostesses the opportunity to create sweet masterpieces, using the oven, microwave, and aerogrill.
Silicone molds are absolutely non-stick by their properties, that is, the dough never sticks to the bottom.
Important! Do not place the molds on an open flame. They must be flame-resistant, otherwise they become unusable.
How to Use Silicone Molds | Everything You Want to Know from Rosanna Pansino
How to use the silicone baking dish
All silicone molds are different in shape, size, practicality and convenience. Their main advantage is that they are easy to clean and use, no food sticks to them, the dessert is easy to remove, preserving its shape. To ensure that it lasts a long time and retains its life, you need to follow some rules of use:
- Wash the dishes after each use. Otherwise food remains will stick to the walls and dry out. They are harder to get rid of later on.
- Clean only with soft sponges. Do not use hard brushes, they will damage the integral surface.
- Remove small muffins simply by turning the mold upside down and pressing the bottom gently. The cakes are easy to take out with wooden spatulas. Do not use any sharp metal objects, they will damage the baking dish.
Be sure to wash it thoroughly with detergent after purchase. This measure is necessary to remove any chemical residue from the surface that may have been applied during the mold-making process.
You can bake in the silicone mold in a gas oven or electric oven. It is forbidden to put them on the burner.
Is it necessary to grease before baking
There is no need to specially lubricate silicone molds. The inside of the mold is protected by a non-stick layer. But if the material from which the cookware is made is of low quality, then you need to grease it, if the dough burns. But, lubricate the mold can only vegetable oil or butter that has no odor.
Culinarians recommend treating the mold before cooking a dessert and when it is used for the first time after purchase. A greasy product will “activate” the nonstick property. Lubricate it each time will also be required if it will be handled in the dishwasher with the addition of detergents.
What to put in the oven
Many homemakers when baking muffins or pie in a silicone mold in the oven allow the mold to be placed directly on the rack. This should not be done, because the material will already be severely deformed after the first use, and in the future will be unsuitable for creating culinary delights.
How to Apply Silicone or Caulk like a Pro
Always place silicone kitchenware on a glass or ceramic tray or on a baking tray. Large-sided molds can be placed in a saucepan or deep pan. But, one should take into account that its edges should not adhere to it in order to prevent melting.
How to grease the bottom and sides of a baking dish, if you don’t have oil
The standard way to grease any baking dish is with butter or vegetable oil. But if you don’t have one at home, there may be several alternatives:
The bulk food should be spread gently in a thin layer all over the bottom. Not only will the baked goods not stick, but they will also take on a beautiful appearance. A little margarine or lard should be used to lightly grease the bottom and sides of the pan. At home you can prepare a special mixture for greasing baking pans by mixing equal amounts of oil, flour, and lard. According to experienced cooks, it is ideal, it facilitates easy separation of baked goods from the mold.
There are many different silicone molds, distinguished among themselves by material and technical requirements. Before its use it is necessary to familiarize with instructions for use, which should specify a list of products which can lubricate it.