Safe plastic dishes
PS-O6 disposable tableware labeling
These are yogurt cups, meat trays, coffee cups, fast food containers, disposable dishes. The material is designed for cold food. If you pour hot water or alcohol into the container, the material will begin to release styrene, another toxin. A dose of toxins is guaranteed if you put a hot kebab on a plastic plate. Specialists do not recommend using this type of plastic at all.
Plastic dishes marked PC-07, OTHER-07 or 0-07
These labels are put on water bottles, baby bottles, and food containers and packages. For long-term storage of water and food containers are not used. When heated, a substance is released which provokes the development of tumors. When heated, a substance is released, which affects the hormonal system and provokes the development of hormone-dependent tumors.
Features of plastic products
Plastic tableware today is rightly considered indispensable. Many users prefer to take such containers with them when going on picnics or hiking trips. Besides, these products come in handy when there is no possibility to lay the table with traditional tableware.
The popularity of utensils made of food plastic is due to its several advantages:
- When you need to host a large number of guests, plastic utensils are cheaper than traditional ceramic or glass ones.
- It is most convenient to take snacks to work or study in lightweight plastic containers.
- Containers are lightweight and can be compactly folded for transport without risk of damage during travel.
- At children’s parties you can not be afraid that some of the children broke a glass or plate and hurt themselves. The products are completely safe.
- Utensils do not need to be washed, which makes it easier to clean up after the event.
Despite the convenience of use, the products have certain disadvantages:
- Not all of the containers are allowed to reuse.
- Relatively high cost, if you consider single use.
- Poor quality utensils may emit toxic substances.
- Not all types of plastic are suitable for hot dishes.
Choose the containers, taking into account the marking on the plastic utensils. By this you can determine not only the type of raw material from which the product is made, but also the purpose of use of the utensils. It is not necessary to ignore these signs, the only way to protect yourself from the risk of buying non-food plastic.
If the numbers and icons on the dishes are missing, you can not use it for eating. Most likely, such products are not certified and do not meet GOST, and in the process of their production used toxic raw materials.
Plastic dishes are compact and lightweight
Plastic dishes are often used for outdoor recreation
Labeling of plastic kitchenware
The icons on the cookware give the user detailed information on how to use a particular product correctly.
Labels indicating cooking methods
The labeling of plastic containers may also depend on the way they are used. This often has a small symbol on the bottom or on the side.
For the microwave oven
The marking of plastic containers, which means that the container can be used in a microwave oven must necessarily be present on the product itself. It usually represents a miniature image of a microwave oven.
If the container has a triangle of three arrows inside of which the number 6 is inscribed and the letters PS are at the bottom, it means that the container is made of polystyrene. The container of this material is forbidden to heat in the microwave and use to put hot food. Even when heated to a minimum, polystyrene emits substances that are very dangerous to health.
For safe heating of food in the microwave oven use the special dishes. On the lid or bottom of such utensils is a branding of the letters PP and PC, as well as a small icon in the form of waves or a picture of the microwave oven itself.
To plastic container for the microwave will last long and safe for health, you should not expose it to sudden changes in temperature. When taking a cold container out of the fridge, do not immediately reheat it, you need to let the dishes warm up to room temperature.
Signs indicating the nuances of operation
Not all symbols on plastic containers are familiar to the average buyer.
The sign depicting a green dot informs that the manufacturer of this product is a member of the “Eco Emballage” recycling system. The brands that make up this system are financing a German plastic recycling project. However, many manufacturers mislead customers and label their products even though they have nothing to do with the system.
The triangle shaped icon, formed by three arrows, indicates that the container was made of recycled plastic. Inside the triangle may show numbers that indicate the type of recycling:
1 to 19 recycling of plastic products;
Microwave crossed out means that containers are prohibited from microwave use. It is also worth noting that all single-use dishes are prohibited for reheating in the microwave and reuse. The approval code for recycling such containers is marked on the product itself. This includes only dishes marked 2 (HDPE) and 5 (PP).
The snowflake symbol marks dishes that can be used for freezing food. Also manufacturers often indicate the temperature range that the container can withstand.
Containers with the symbol in the form of dishes under the shower can be washed in the dishwasher.
Plastic that can be used in microwave ovens
Labeling of Plastic
If it can be exposed to freezing or low (low) temperatures, there will be an image of snowflakes. The more snowflakes, the lower the temperatures the material can withstand.
Labeling on plastic
Plastics, their types and designations
If plastic products have a triangle of arrows with the number 6 inside and the abbreviation PS, it means that the polymer is polystyrene, which means that it can not be heated, poured hot or used in the microwave oven!
If the designation is the number 5 plus PP, it is polypropylene mass. Such containers can be used in a microwave oven, but without the use of alcohol, which as a result of a chemical reaction will release formaldehyde and phenol, which, if ingested, can lead to blindness.
The pictogram on the plastic in the form of a glass and fork means that the product is well tolerant to high temperatures and is intended for foodstuffs. Food can be heated or held in it. If such a sign is crossed out, it indicates the opposite. non-food plastic.
Special dishes for microwave oven have a symbol on them in the form of a microwave oven and a plate inside it.
All other types of plastics release toxic substances when heated and can be hazardous to health, especially if exposed to heat or microwaves.
Silicone cookware for the microwave oven
Silicone dishes for microwave cooking do not react to temperature changes and are non-stick. You can cook without oiling. Such dishes for the microwave oven is also used for the oven. The molds you buy must be made by a reputable manufacturer, such as Tupperware. Otherwise you can become the owner of not only a foul-smelling, but also a dangerous fake.
What cookware is suitable
The main criterion for choosing a container to be used for an ultrahigh frequency oven is the material’s heat resistance. And if the cookware includes refractory qualities, it’s perfect for cooking.
The microwave is able to heat the contents inside up to an index of 100 degrees. this is the temperature of boiling liquid. Heat-resistant cookware can be kept up to 140 degrees. As for the containers with refractory qualities, the heating temperature can reach up to 300 degrees.
What cookware can be used in the microwave oven:
- Made of heat-resistant glass. It’s not just a hardened material, it has fire-resistant qualities that make it ideal for use in ultra-high frequency cooking. The walls of such dishes are made strong and thick, so the material is not exposed to excessive heat during cooking. Glass cookware for the microwave should not be chosen with thin walls. They will crack after the first or second use. Can I put glassware in the microwave?? Yes, but only for thick-walled pans.
- Made of Phaora. Nearly one in two cookware items made from faora can be used in the microwave oven. The exception may be dishes that are gilded.
- Ceramic covered with glaze. Dishes are used for fast heating and cooking. Ceramic microwave cookware can be used for frying eggs without oil, and the result will be excellent. The only drawback will be the strong heat of the material, so don’t forget to use oven gloves.
- Ceramic glassware. This material is one of the most common. It combines the thermal resistance of glass with the beauty of ceramic cookware. All of this adds up to superior performance. This kind of cookware can be used for heating and cooking.
- Made of paper. Of course, such containers are not reusable. Disposable dishes placed in the microwave are great for reheating purchased foods in stores.
- Cotton-based wipes. This material is often wrapped in flour products. Cloths help to preserve the flavor of baked goods, and the muffin or cake won’t become dry after reheating.
- Made of plastic. Contrary to frequent doubts, it is possible to heat food in plastic dishes. This applies to containers. Today they are available in a large variety. this is not the only positive side. But you can put plastic dishes in the microwave if you only need to reheat the food. When heated, plastic can release substances that can have a negative effect on the food. Cooked food can’t be called healthy as a result. Containers are ideal for microwave and freezer use since they will not warp under the influence of temperature. An additional positive side of such crockery is that it is not afraid of sharp temperature changes.
- Made of heat resistant foil. This material does not melt and does not corrode under the influence of microwaves. Particularly popular today are plastic film and transparent foil. They have tiny holes that allow steam to escape during the cooking process, thus creating a sauna effect inside the container. The material can be used instead of a lid, and after cooking, the material will help preserve the temperature of the cooked food for a long time.
- Made of silicone. This material is used for molds that are suitable for baking. They can be used to make muffins, cakes, and muffins.
Plastic All of these materials are heat-resistant and can be heated in microwave ovens. Particular attention should be paid to containers with semi-finished products. You can often see on the packaging that the product is already ready to be placed in the microwave without additional prepackaging.
If the food does not contain fats, water or sugar, you can use wax paper bags for heating. These wrappers are only for heating. Paper containers are coated with wax but this will melt and attack the food if heated.
For additional containers made of other microwave materials, see the table below.
Best Unbreakable Microwave Safe Dishes, Microwave Safe Plastic Plates
|Packaging/dishes||Microwave mode||Grill mode|
|Waxed paper||Can||Do not|
|Cookware made of wood||For short reheating times||Cannot|
|Regular plastic bags||Not possible||Cannot|
|Plastic bags for cooking||Can do, but need to make holes before cooking||Do not|
|Food containers||Can for a quick reheat||Cannot|
Labeling for microwave ovens
There is a special marking for microwave cookware. Various signs are used to indicate which cookware can be used in a microwave oven or oven with a built-in microwave. Such an icon is usually a pictogram of two types: a square with several wavy lines or a stylized image of a microwave. The pictogram is on the packaging or directly on the cookware.
Sometimes pots, plates, and other kitchen utensils bear a crossed-out picture of a microwave oven. This means that such containers should not be used for cooking in the microwave oven.
What you can’t use in the microwave
Microwaveable utensils can vary greatly in shape and material, but there are some containers whose use is strictly prohibited:
- Metal ovenware is prohibited. First, the food in it will not be able to reheat, as the metal is resistant to microwaves. Secondly, it can cause sparks and malfunction of the appliance.
- Cookware for heating or cooking in the microwave should not have any picture on it. This is especially true for gold painted patterns.
- Do not put in the microwave crystal container. First, it contains substances that are harmful to microwaves. Secondly, the cookware itself is not homogeneous, which makes it difficult for the appliance to work.
- Care must also be taken with disposable containers. Plastic dishes will melt under the influence of microwaves, and cardboard ones will be covered with soot.
- Ceramic dishes can do just as much damage to your microwave oven.
- Also, do not use the ones you cook in the oven. This is especially true for aluminum containers.
Food plastic labeling
Determine the composition will help marking, which is available on the product. For classification are used numerical, alphabetic designations and additionally icons. Do not use dishes that do not have any markings on them. The harm that can be caused to health is not commensurate with the small savings of money that is formed by the purchase of such household utensils.
The first thing you should pay attention to is the triangle or fork and glass symbol, which indicates that this type of product can be used in direct contact with food.
There should also be a sign saying that it can be used in a microwave oven or for hot drinks. And then you should carefully examine the composition. Arabic numerals are used to indicate the composition of this kind of stuff.