Do not hurry to disassemble the washing machine and replace the drain pump. first determine exactly what the cause of failure. To do this you will have to perform simple actions:
- “listen” to the pump;
- open the drain filter and clean it;
- clean the drain hose;
- Determine how the pump impeller rotates;
- Check the contact group, and all sensors that go to the pump.
A number of faults can be easily identified by ear. just walk up to the running washing machine and listen. You should wait for the moment of draining or taking in the liquid. When the pump begins to hum and tries to work intensively, but there is no water in the tank, or no sound is heard from the pump. you have localized the failure.
Washing machines with a faulty electric pump often do not fully drain the water, so it is better to prepare a container before starting the work, lay a cloth or film on the floor.
To drain as much water as possible, unscrew the drain hose from the sewer inlet and place it in an empty container, such as a basin or large bottle. Next, tilt the machine in different directions to allow any water remaining inside to drain out.
In some models, some of the water remains in the detergent tank. Before repairing it is necessary to remove it.
Rules of operation
With proper maintenance, the average life span of a washer pump is 9-11 years. To keep this period short, it is necessary:
- ensure that the water is sufficiently clean (you should make sure that there are no foreign objects in the s of laundry for washing, and remove pieces of dried up dirt before washing);
- to monitor the working order of the filters;
- Prevent the emergence of limescale (for this purpose it is recommended to use special additives for water);
- Empty the tank completely at the end of washing (wait until the water is pumped out of the working tank to 100%).
It should be noted that if the pump does break, it is never repaired, but replaced with a new device. And only a qualified technician should do it.
You may be interested: Why the water drain does not work in the washing machine?
The most common causes of breakdowns
Breaking, the pump of the washing machine leads to a complete cessation of pumping water from the main drum. A wide variety of faults can be the cause. One of the simplest and correct decisions is complete replacement of the broken element. To make a repair of such equipment is possible, but there is no guarantee of its continued performance, and how long it will work further, no one can say. Therefore, in any case, the best option will remain a complete replacement of the drain pump for the washing machine. If you buy a warranty product, you can automatically add a few years to the life of the main unit. In addition to retaining the full factory specifications, the appliance will stop making extraneous noises. Installing an extra filter also increases service life.
A list of the most common causes of washing machine breakdowns:
Often only those craftsmen who stubbornly refuse to take care of the basic elements of the device they use buy new elements. The cost of the drain pump is not high, but it is better to prevent the breakdown in every possible way, rather than regularly going to the service center and cleaning up the consequences of another deluge.
- Use the most ergonomic and correct mode for washing. Washing for too long will not benefit both your things and the working device, which is sure to break;
- do not put too hard and metal objects in the drum (keys and coins should be removed from the in a timely manner). They can cause the pump to jam. Additionally recommended to install a filter on the pump.
Unusual sounds may be the first signal of a breakdown of your washing machine. Humming or excessive vibration can appear solely during water draining and speak of its possible failure.
Why the pump breaks and what to do about it
The pump (or pump). an important part of the washing machine automatic, responsible for draining water from the washing machine. In modern washing machines there may be one or more pumps. If there is more than one pump, the second is usually responsible for additional water circulation or for pumping water into the tank.
The average lifespan of the pump of a modern washing machine. more than 10 years. But there are several reasons that can lead to early pump failure. Here are the main ones:
- Limescale build-up when the machine is running in water heating mode. If you have hard water, and you do not use water softeners when washing, or just use the wrong detergent, limescale deposits formed on the heater can get into the pump and cause it to malfunction.
- Stale dirt. If you wash very dirty items in the machine, then sand, small rocks and other foreign substances can put the pump out of action.
- The wrong detergent for washing or a large amount of it. Powder may not dissolve all the detergent and may eventually be deposited on the pump impeller causing it to malfunction.
How to know when the pump is broken
If the pump fails, the most obvious consequence is. The machine stops emptying water after the wash is finished. Also there may be a delay in draining the water after washing, there are problems with spinning. So if you think the spinning gets worse, it could be the first sign of a faulty pump. The powder left in the tray after washing may also signal a failing pump.
These are all consequences that are quite difficult to notice if you don’t do laundry every day. But many modern machines monitor their condition and in case of malfunction simply refuse to work, signaling either a breakdown. In that case, you can find the main fault codes on our website in the section of the brand of your washing machine.
What to do if the pump breaks
One of the problems similar to the breakage of the pump can be clogged washing machine filter. As a rule, the filter is located at the bottom of the washing machine in the front behind a bezel or on the back, and it is quite easy to reach. Check the filter, clean it, if it is clogged. If the problem persists, it is necessary to call a master. Important condition. that it is a professional technician and he used only original spare parts when repairing. It will save you money in the long run and ensure that the machine doesn’t break down again due to the use of cheap but low-quality parts.
That’s why we recommend our service. All our masters are professionals and use only original spare parts. We also give a one year warranty on repairs.
How to lubricate the stuffing box
Now about how to restore the oil seal with your own hands. Of course a worn out stuffing box cannot be repaired. Remember a simple rule: if you decide to replace one element, you need to change the entire set, if you want to perform a quality repair.
How to Diagnose Washing Machine Drain and Pump Problems
Automatic washing machines are irreplaceable and the main helpers of our housewives. They save a lot of our time, which we can additionally spend on work, hobbies, or family.
Automated units with great accuracy save electricity, water and detergents, thus justifying their considerable cost. Machine washes use a fraction of the water you would use in a traditional, labor-intensive process, so there is less powder to achieve the right concentration.
But like any technique, washing machines require periodic maintenance and repair. Despite the direct contact with water of many parts of these products, many components of washing machines are protected from getting wet.
Many parts are protected by special gaskets, seals and oil seals, and if these protectors are damaged or worn out, other parts quickly deteriorate. To avoid additional costs to repair your helper and properly perform preventive maintenance and servicing of the product.
- At the first sign of trouble you need to take measures to fix it. If there are leaks, it is necessary to eliminate the leakage of joints of assemblies, and if there is a noise, pay attention to the bearing unit.
- Noise at high speeds or the appearance of grease on things says that you need to change the bearings on the washing machine. The ring-shaped rubber has the function of insulating the bearing unit from possible moisture ingress due to corrosion of the bearings and their failure.
- Frequent use at high temperatures is a common cause of wear and tear of the stuffing box packing. Rubber from which the part is made assumes such heating, but because of the frequent heat treatment loses its elasticity.
- When replacing the bearings are sure to replace the packing with a new one, which in turn is lubricated with a special grease. Composition of washing machine grease for oil seals should make it water repellent and does not change its properties at high temperatures. In this article we will consider how and what is the correct way to lubricate a washing machine part.
The part is shaped like a ring sealed with rubber, the inner diameter of which seals the internal rotating shaft. Being exposed to friction, it is subjected to intense heat and must be lubricated to prevent its rapid wear and loss of sealing.
In the absence of lubrication inside the packing will quickly wear out and lead to malfunctions and breakdowns of other parts of the mechanism, such as the bearing assembly. Replacement of the washing machine packing must necessarily be accompanied by its lubrication, otherwise the completed repair will have to be repeated in the near future.
Grease for washing machines can have a variety of names, colors and packaging, but it must meet certain requirements :
- Be water repellent. Many people think that all greases due to their greasy appearance have this quality. This is far from it. Always make sure that your grease is water repellent before use. This will greatly increase its service life;
- Withstand high temperatures without changing its properties. The washing machine involves heating water to boiling and the rubber part is directly exposed to this heat treatment, so the grease must not spread or harden;
- Neutral to gland rubber. The grease must not be corrosive to the rubber composition of the component, and must not affect its elasticity and resiliency.
The main signs of washing machine pump malfunction
If the washing machine malfunctions, the first thing to do is diagnose. Only after establishing the exact cause, you can begin to repair the pump with your own hands. Typical signs of pump failure are:
- no reaction to the set programs;
- A strong humming in the process of pouring or draining water;
- Water is not coming in at full capacity;
- The machine shuts off or somehow malfunctions during the filling process.
Usually your washing machine works in automatic mode. you do not need to perform any extra actions. If this does not happen, then perhaps you should check the impeller or replace the entire pump.See also. Why the washing machine makes a lot of noise when spinning
For diagnosis and routine repair and troubleshooting procedures, various steps should be taken:
- Listen to the pump during operation for extraneous sounds;
- Open the housing and clean the drain filter;
- clean the drain hose;
- check if the pump impeller rotates normally, if there is no jamming.
There could also be a problem with the electronics, for example, the contacts to the pump could be damaged or disconnected. Stable sensors can also fail.
After that you can determine what is wrong with the washing machine and how to make repairs. If you are sure that the whole thing in the pump, then you can proceed directly to the repair with your own hands. It requires an ordinary set of tools. Performing all the actions correctly will help save the machine, so that you do not have to replace the pump. Otherwise the contacts or the motor itself may burn out.
Is it hard to find a pump?
Location of the drain pump in almost all LG models is standard, regardless of whether the direct drive in the machine or with the belt drive. over, to get to the place of failure will not be difficult. you do not have to completely disassemble the housing. There is even no need to unscrew the back wall, top cover, pan or front panel. Detect the pump is many times easier, as it requires only a number of simple actions. Everything. We look under the bottom and get easy access to the entire drain system. There is another way. move the machine to the center of the room and put it on the left side.
Where is the pump
Models of washing machines Candy, LG, Whirpool, Ariston, Beko, Samsung are equipped with a pump, which is located at the bottom. To get to it, the washing machine is placed on its side and the bottom panel is removed. Snail with a filter is attached with screws, which are unscrewed and you have the right part in your hands.
If we talk about Zanussi, Electrolux models, the pump is located behind the back cover, which must be removed.
The most difficult in terms of disassembly models are Bosch, AEG, Siemens. They have to dismantle the whole front panel.