Passive solar energy systems
The key difference here is that passive systems do not use special gadgets, electronics, or other controls. Instead, such systems work solely through the natural absorption of solar radiation by the thermal mass. The term “thermal mass” refers to any material that can absorb heat. Here are some good examples of such materials:
So, how does passive solar energy work?? The whole secret is in a properly designed building, where materials with thermal mass will be applied correctly.
Large windows facing south are important in these buildings so that as much light as possible can enter.
The principle is that such a house accumulates solar thermal energy in order to release it later. No additional equipment required.
Home grid-tied solar power plant features
Calculation in this case was carried out taking into account the use of silicon monocrystalline batteries. Based on this, you can make a comparison with other types of panels.
There are already many benefits to using solar power. The main ones are:
- Free electricity. Once you install and start up your solar home power plant, you will no longer need to pay your energy bill because the sun will provide it.
- Silence. Unlike generators and other sources of electricity, the solar plant is completely silent.
- Long life. Today the average lifetime warranty on solar panels is 25 years.
- Easy maintenance. All you need to do is regularly sweep dust and snow from the panels.
- Takes up no useful space. Most panels are installed on the roof where there is constant light during the day. However, the battery can also be installed on a hill, on a cleared piece of land. anywhere.
- Eco-friendliness. No harmful emissions and unpleasant odors are produced during the operation of the panels.
The truth about solar panels. do the pros outweigh the cons?
Of course, all these advantages are revealed as much as possible with the proper installation of solar panels. Therefore, it is worth carefully selecting a site for their placement.
Pros and cons of solar panels for the home Pros and cons of solar panels for the home
How to make solar panels sustainable?
For solar panel recycling to be successful, the materials from which they were made must remain usable at the end of their useful life, decades later.
While it may be easier with materials such as metal and wiring, silicon needs special solutions that may require melting it.
Glass also sometimes contains impurities such as cadmium, antimony and lead.
Separating materials and being able to uniquely recycle them is an onerous and potentially costly process. another challenge that the solar energy industry must confront as soon as possible.
Accessories for solar power plants
In order for the solar power station to work properly and deal fully with its tasks at any time of year and in any weather must correctly approach the choice of accessories through which the installation and connection of modules. Today, all sorts of cables, connectors, crimping tools, as well as ready-made kits for fixing batteries are offered in a wide range, allowing you to find the right option for each individual case and ensuring that the modules are securely fixed in the right place.
Solar panels on the roofs of private houses
The modern world has long used FCE on an industrial scale, especially in countries where sunlight is active most of the year. Today, thanks to falling for this equipment and the rising cost of electricity, some of them use private homes and summer cottages as the main or additional source of energy.
What about apartments? Here everything is more complicated, firstly there is not enough free space for the installation of panels. Secondly, it is difficult to coordinate with the various supervisory authorities.
In general, this problem can be solved, but will cost much more to install the equipment in an apartment building than in a private home.
Feasibility of use
The advantages of using solar panels are not limited to the possibility of their installation almost anywhere.Consumers of this alternative source of energy have to pay only for inverters, batteries and installation of solar panels, the sun, in turn, offers literally free electricity. The installation fee will pay off.
Suffice it to remember how much electricity an average person consumes simply by leaving power supply units, burning TV lights and other household appliances.
Thus, consumption occurs around the clock, regardless of whether a person needs it or not.
Pros and cons of using batteries
Solar panels, like any other device, has both positive and negative sides.
- Separateness. As noted above. such a system is self-contained, that is, it does not depend on the standard producer of electricity. This is a particular advantage when the overall system experiences an interruption.
- Eco-friendliness. The system consisting of these elements is completely environmentally friendly. In the process of operation there is no production of harmful substances. This means that the design is completely safe for humans and the environment.
- Cheaper. Against the background of general inflation and price increases, the cost of batteries is falling year by year. This is due to the development of new technologies, increasing production rates and reducing the cost of the product. Also on the negative cost dynamics is influenced by competition. Every year the number of companies involved in installation and sale of solar cells is increasing.
- Payback. Since the solar energy itself is free, the owner suffers material costs only in the initial phase of the device of the design. the purchase of the material and payment for installation services. If the house daily maintenance of a sufficient number of electrical appliances, the payback period is only a few years.
- Longevity. The solar cell is virtually immune to natural wear and tear. The design does not require regular maintenance by specialists, since it does not contain moving components that would fail for physical reasons. constant contact, friction, etc. д.
Despite the significant number of advantages, the design is also not without disadvantages:
- Low efficiency. It is difficult to give an exact, fixed figure for solar cell efficiency, since solar activity depends on the geography of the area. On average, the efficiency is 15%, which is much lower than the value of the same parameter for other sources of electricity. On average, 1 m2 of solar cell area produces a power value equal to 150 watts. In fact, this is not even enough to ensure stable operation of a home computer.
- The need to use an additional source. The territory of our country has never been distinguished by increased solar activity. To avoid interruptions in the work of the power supply system on the basis of batteries in the winter, or on cloudy days, it is necessary to have backup sources. This can be a gasoline generator with a rated power of 4-5 kW, which will be able to ensure the operation of all appliances in the case of low activity of solar cells. You can also use a standard common power system as a supplementary option.
At the moment, there are four basic types of solar panels on the market:
Cells based on monocrystalline silicon. Ideal for cases where the area on which the panels are to be placed is limited. these cells have the highest capacity per unit area compared to other types of solar panels. Based on this ratio it is easy to conclude. the efficiency of monocrystalline silicon panels is the highest in comparison to other types of batteries.
Cells based on polycrystalline silicon. The use of batteries of this type is ideal if the owner has no restrictions on space. This type of product is cheaper than the previous one and due to the special structure of silicon crystals is able to generate a small amount of electricity even in cloudy weather.
Cells based on ammonium silicon. This type of panels is useful if the plane of the roof is not constant. has curved elements in its structure (roof ridge or an element forming the inside corner. valley). Adhering to the surface, silicon amono elements completely repeat the structure of the roof, in addition, it is self-adhesive material, which independently, without the use of foreign fasteners and extra structures, firmly fixed to any surface.
Panels based on micro silicon. A novelty among the entire line of this product. Solar energy is equally well perceived by elements of this type, as when hitting at right angles, and at a sharper angle. Because the percentage of silicon in the production process is not as high as with other types of batteries, it gives the manufacturer the opportunity to reduce the cost to the end user.
What’s good about installing solar panels
A photovoltaic system can convert the sun’s energy into electricity. Solar panels can be used to power a home, business premises, or even a car. It is obvious that this is a modern and environmentally friendly solution, but there are other advantages of using solar panels.