Breakage of the hatch locking device (UBL)
On the side of the machine, the door locking device (UBL) is engaged in the process. Its purpose. to lock the lock and not open until the washing cycle is completed (all this time UBL voltage is supplied), thus preventing unauthorized opening of the door and spillage of water. Failure UBL can break for two reasons: there is a breakage in it, or it does not have voltage.
The body of this device is made of plastic. The lock is locked under the action of current, which in parallel heats the mechanism. This causes the plastic to deteriorate, deforming it. This renders the entire assembly inoperable.
The second option is a mechanical failure as a result of shock load, to which the UBL is exposed during washing/spinning because of machine vibration. In any case, the solution to the problem will be one. to replace the unit. You can do it yourself:
- Pull out the spring fixing the manhole cover collar;
- Unscrew the UBL fasteners;
- Take out the block, disconnecting contacts (beforehand write down and better take a picture, which wire goes to which contact);
- to the new part connect the contacts in the correct layout (guided by the photo made the step before), fix the UBL in its place.
How to replace the handle
It is best to buy a new handle in a service center or in a spare parts store. To install it, you need to do a number of simple steps:
- Remove the door by first unscrewing the necessary fasteners with a Phillips screwdriver;
- Unscrew all the screws that connect the two parts of the hatch;
- pry one of the halves open with a knife or screwdriver, separating the door in two;
- Remove the glass and remove it, so as not to spoil it;
- Advance the metal rod that holds the handle in place with any sturdy pin;
- When the pin pops out, you can remove the handle, spring and hook.
- Insert the new spring in the same place where the old one was.
- Continue the installation, inserting the hook and with it the handle itself to the stop.
- Install the rod in its former place.
- Finally, be sure to check that the new handle is installed correctly and functions properly. It should be slightly pulled back by the spring.
In case of incorrect assembly the spring will not push out the handle, then you will need to disassemble and reassemble everything.
To reassemble the door, put the safety glass in its original place, between the two parts of the door. Having tightened all the screws, place the hatch on the washing machine.
What the closure module consists of?
Before disassembling the device locking the hatch, it is worth to understand what it is, what parts consist of the mechanism, how it works. Modern automatic machines are equipped with bimetal locks. Such a module is very reliable. it will not allow you to open the door during the wash. So, the washing machine door lock includes:
The principle of operation of the door locking module is as follows:
- The control unit supplies current to the thermocouple of the lock;
- The thermocouple heats up in 1 to 3 seconds;
- The charge is transferred to the bimetallic plate;
- the plate changes in size and exerts pressure on the lock;
- The “tongue” falls out and remains in the special recess.
A “click” is heard when the door locking device is activated.
Opens the hatch in the same way, but all steps are performed in reverse order. The bimetallic plate, when the current is interrupted, changes shape, the lock “comes out” of the groove and “comes back” into its place. The door lock is released.
It should be understood that for most models of washing machines, the UBL does not work until one to three minutes after the cycle is complete. Therefore, you should not try with force to open the door immediately. It is necessary to wait until the plate has cooled down and the control module has ensured that there is precisely no water left in the tank.
If the hatch does not open and after 10-20 minutes, it is likely that the mechanism has malfunctioned. For what reason the lock can break, how to check and fix it, we will tell further. The locking device is located on the front wall of the housing, to the right of the drum door. Its location gives out a small rectangle protruding slightly outward. This is just the slot where the “tongue” of the lock goes.
Diagnosing and repairing the lock with your own hands
To check the working order of the lock, you will need to remove it. It is necessary:
- Unplug the washing machine.
- Open the hatch, bend the collar, lift the clamp and remove it.
- Pull the collar to the side to access the lock.
- Unscrew the fastener that secures the device.
- Disconnect the wiring and remove the UBL.
This method is only suitable if the door opens. Otherwise it is necessary to open the plinth panel on the front of the washing machine and find the cable for emergency opening of the hatch. It is usually yellow or red and is located near the filter. If there is no cable, you must unscrew the fastener that holds the top lid, remove it, and then slip your hand between the body and the tank, find the lock catch by feel and unlock it. Now you can open the door and remove the UBL.
Now you can test the blocker with a multimeter. To determine how the neutral and common contacts are located, you will need a diagram of the lock. The hatch locking devices are produced by different companies, which have their own contacts. Without knowing the diagram, it is impossible to understand the contacts and perform diagnosis of the lock. You can find the circuit diagram on the Internet.
Only the thermocouple that heats the plates can be checked at home. To do this:
- Set the multimeter to measure resistance.
- Find the neutral and phase contacts and place the probes on them.
- If a three-digit number appears on the tester’s display, this indicates that the blocker is working properly.
- Now you need to move the probes to the neutral and common contact.
- If a one or zero appears on the screen, the device is broken.
If the lock is functioning, you need to examine it for mechanical damage or a factory defect.
A new lock must be purchased for replacement. This can be done at the manufacturer’s service center, in a specialized store or on the Internet. To avoid mistakes when buying a part, you need to tell the seller the make and model of the washing machine.
Install the locking mechanism of the hatch is performed in the following order:
- Connect the wiring to the deadbolt.
- Insert the lock into the inside of the washing machine and push it into the seat.
- Screw in the fasteners.
- Return the collar to its original place, install the collar.
If problems persist after replacing the UBL, it indicates a faulty system board. Independently engage in its repair is not recommended, because you can only worsen the situation. For diagnosis and work to fix the breakdown should contact a service center or call a professional.
Some washing machine owners wonder if it is possible to bypass the lock lock and start the washing. Theoretically it is possible, but in this case, everyone who has access to the technique will be at risk of electrocution. Also, if you open the unlocked door while washing, there is a risk of scalding with hot water. It is for these reasons it is recommended to repair and replace the part, which is inexpensive, rather than searching for a way around the blockage.
What to do if the door of the washing machine does not close
Try first of all to determine for yourself why the washing machine door does not close:
- Check that the laundry is not caught in the gap between the body and the door. Carefully distribute the items on the drum and restart the program.
- Open the machine and close the hatch carefully, pressing firmly. Start the washing program, if you hear a click, it means the door is closed.
- There could be a problem with the control module. Wait 1015 minutes and then turn the appliance back on. Electronics are particularly sensitive to surges in the mains voltage, so malfunctions occur.
- Check to see if there is debris in the locking mechanism slot. The LOS is inside the cabinet. Sometimes debris can get caught in the slot where the door latch should fit. The lock does not lock because the tab does not reach the socket. This is especially likely to happen if you have small children in the house. Small construction materials, candy wrappers or even chewing gum can fall into the UBL.
Note! Often the washing machine does not close the door if the appliance is handled carelessly and does not follow the rules of its operation. Check items carefully before loading drum, inspect s, distribute laundry evenly across tank.
The door in the washing machine doesn’t block. what to do??
In this case it is sufficient to conduct a visual inspection of the washing machine and the locking mechanism on the door. It is necessary to pay attention to several aspects:
- whether there are things that interfere with the closure (sometimes things or parts of them fall under the hatch);
- the condition of the locking hook and whether it fits into the corresponding opening;
- whether the locking tab is properly positioned;
- if the rubber gasket or plastic is not peeling.
often it is necessary to face that the hatch is a little bit tilted with time, so it is necessary to check it at once. It is enough to touch it and find out if it is firmly held and does not dangle. If the guide is badly worn out, the hook simply stops to be firmly fixed in the groove.
In some cases, the metal rod that holds the locking tab in position falls out, so the door simply does not lock. To find out, it is enough to simply touch it with your hands and check its strength.
Deformed guide, which is responsible for locking the hatch
If there are any problems with the plastic guide, it becomes physically impossible to close the hatch, and the user will not be able to start the wash. Plastic elements are quite brittle in their structure and in the course of prolonged use can be washed or sag.
It is not possible to repair it; you must install a new plastic bearing. The first thing to do is to remove the old collar. In most cases, it will be necessary to remove part of the housing. It is important to make sure that the new part does not differ from the old one. After that, remove the plastic clamps by pulling the connecting latches toward you, having previously unscrewed the screw. Before installing a new plastic guide, it is recommended to clean all the surface from dirt.
The washing machine does not lock the door lock
You have just loaded a whole pile of dirty laundry into the drum of your washing machine, poured the detergent and conditioner, closed the door and pushed the button. But nothing happens, the machine doesn’t do the laundry. Naturally, you thought you must have closed it poorly, or the door accidentally pinched some of your belongings. You open the door again, adjust the laundry, close it again with pressure. But the washing cycle does not start again. The strongest wish at this moment is to slam the door of the door. But it is not worth doing this, because then you can get the door or the lock to be repaired. It is better to reason sensibly and try to figure out the causes of the malfunction and how to fix it. In fact, there can only be two causes:
These two problems don’t occur at the same time, it can only be one. Next, let’s look at how you can determine the nature of the malfunction yourself and what to do about it next.
When the hatch closes, but does not lock
To understand the essence of this problem, imagine the following picture: you close the hatch door, it obediently clicks, but the washer indicates to you the open hatch and refuses to start the wash. What’s the problem? The hatch locking device is most likely broken or the control module is out of order.
LG Washing Machine De error code how to replace door interlocks
So, the LTC is defective, which means that the door does not lock and the washing does not start. The hatch locking device works in the following way: it is energized and locks the hatch. Accordingly, if the LCR is faulty. no washing!
In addition to malfunction, there is the possibility that the UBL is just clogged. And, it could get clogged with anything, especially if there are small children in the house. This problem can be solved almost instantly: simply check the lock and clean it if necessary.
But the dysfunction of the electronic module is a more serious cause for concern. The module is designed to give a corresponding signal to the hatch locking device, but in the case of a breakdown, this does not happen. That’s why your door won’t lock. The module may burn out from a power surge, or its software may suddenly malfunction. either way you need to call a repairman. It will either replace the module or install the software again, depending on the type of breakdown.