Gas meters differ in different capacity, which is very important to consider in order to choose the right meter. Professionals advise to leave all calculations to a designer or calculate the flow rate yourself and get a meter with reserve.
A gas meter with the smallest capacity is the best solution for an apartment with only one gas stove and no other flow points. If the building has only an IDP connection, then a G-2,5 meter is required, if both, then a G-4 meter. Accordingly, devices of G-6 and G-10 class are necessary in the room where there are three or more outlets. This must be taken into account when choosing a meter based on the standardized flow rates.
Flow rates and the required type of meter are indicated in the project documents. For the right choice we advise to be guided by them. You can also gather data sheets of all consuming devices, calculate their total consumption and choose the meter that overlaps this value.
The meter size is indicated in the accompanying documents and on the front panel of the device. The most common and most suitable for installation in an apartment or house gas meters labeled G-2,5, G-4. However, it is necessary to choose the device according to the planned costs.
Installation of gas meters for a private home
The installation of a gas meter requires certain financial costs. The main ones are as follows:
- Purchase of the meter;
- Payment for the development of “Specifications”;
- The cost of creating a “Project for installation”;
- payment for installation work.
To exclude the claims of the gas service specialists when the meter is put into operation, it is worth knowing the basic requirements for its location. They are regulated by SNiP 42-01-2002 and SP 42-101-2003. The following rules apply to the gas meter:
- The location must be accessible for installation, maintenance and repair;
- installation height (from the floor to the meter). at least 1,5 m;
- meter should be placed at least 1 m from the gas-consuming equipment (column, stove, boiler);
- metering device can be installed in an adjacent room, separated from the equipped with gas appliances by a wall with a doorway;
- The counter should be removed from the wall at 3-5 cm to create anti-corrosion conditions.
demanding outdoor gas meters for a private home. The price of their installation is much higher than the cost of installing a room version due to the need for more work and materials. Leading the gas meter outdoors is additional pipes, making a canopy or box to protect the device from sunlight and precipitation.
Gas meter for a private house. device, types, how to choose
Today the gas heating. This is one of the few alternatives to meet the needs of a private home. It is much more advantageous to get heat from a gas boiler than to heat using electricity, wood or other fuels. When connecting to the gas mains, the owners have to meter the incoming gas. A metering device is placed on the incoming pipe. In the article, the master plumber will tell you how to choose a gas meter for a private home, consider in detail its characteristics and technical indicators.
Private homes are supplied with natural gas as fuel. During storage and transportation, it is supplemented by other substances that make it more acceptable and safe for domestic conditions. The main constituent of gas supplied to dwellings (what type of device is used does not matter) is methane (75-95%):
Natural gas is odorless, but any leakage in the dwelling can be felt almost immediately. This is due to the addition of odorants that are easily detected by the human sense of smell and make methane a relatively safe fuel. To account for the amount of gas consumed devices. meters are used.
- The working body or mechanism placed in the gas flow performs some mechanical work: the rotor rotates, the chambers are filled.
- Mechanical work is recorded in some way: the meter registers the number of revolutions, chambers measure the volume of gas, the energy of rotation is converted into electrical signals.
- Sensors transmit data to the measuring device. The latter is usually placed on the pipe.
The design can include additional accessories. For example, a temperature compensator allows to avoid errors when the temperature rises.
Federal law61 “On energy supply” obliges all owners of private houses and apartments to install a gas meter of suitable design in the dwelling. Installation is made at the expense of the customer. Certain categories of citizens are an exception: in this case flow meters are installed free of charge.
The installation of devices is mandatory. If the homeowner refuses to voluntarily install a flow meter, an employee of the gas service has the right to do it forcibly. Otherwise the gas supply company can sue you in court for interference with maintenance. If the court decision is positive, the owner is charged with the obligation to pay for the installation of the meter and the fine.
How to install a gas meter in a private house
If it is necessary to install a meter, the first step is to submit an application to the organization that services the gas supply network in the city (or district). You must have:
- ID document (passport);
- Certificate of Title to the property;
- Technical documentation for the building, for the placed gas equipment (if it is already installed).
Before submitting an application, you should contact the gas supply service to get the list of documents.
In order to determine how to install a gas meter, the specialists come out. In consultation with the owner and taking into account the necessary conditions outlines the location of the device. In a private home, the meter can be installed either indoors or on the outside wall of the building. A prerequisite for the external position of the device must be accessible and protected from direct sunlight and precipitation.
The result of the visit and choice of location is the issuance of “Technical conditions for the installation of a gas meter”. This document allows you to go to an organization that will perform a “Gas Meter Installation Project” based on the Technical Requirements.
In Decree 10 of 14.05.The circle of organizations that have the right to install, repair and dismantle gas equipment. It is better to apply for installation to the specialists of the organization that maintains networks, as in the end they will be the ones who put the meter into operation. Consequently, when the installation work is done by the service specialists, they will be both performers and receivers.
Installation of a gas meter requires a certain financial cost. The main ones are as follows:
- Purchase of the meter;
- Payment for the development of “Technical Conditions.”
- The cost of creating an “Installation Project”;
- Payment for installation works.
To exclude the claims of specialists of the gas services during the commissioning of the meter, it is worth knowing the basic requirements for its placement. They are regulated by SNiP 42-01-2002 and SP 42-101-2003.
Regarding the gas meter, the rules are as follows:
- The location must be accessible for installation, maintenance and repair;
- Height of installation (from the floor to the meter). at least 1.5 m;
- The meter should be placed at least 1 meter from the gas consuming equipment (column, stove, boiler);
- The meter can be installed in an adjacent room, separated from the equipped with gas appliances by a wall with a doorway;
- It is necessary to remove the meter from the wall for 3-5 cm to create anti-corrosive conditions.
demanding outdoor gas meters for a private home. The price of their installation is much higher than the cost of the room version because of the need for more work and materials.
Taking the gas meter outdoors means additional pipes, making a canopy or box to protect the device from sunlight and precipitation.
Commissioning the gas meter for a private home
The implementation of the commissioning of the metering device depends largely on the quality and design of the installation work. They must be performed by qualified professionals using certified devices and appropriate materials.
After installing the meter, employees of the gas service (or other authorized to perform this work) must check the functioning of the device. Attention is paid to the following:
- On the stability of operation;
- Whether there is any interference during the passage of gas through the device;
- For the presence of gas leakage;
- The readings at the time of installation must be recorded.
If there are no traces of defects or malfunctions, you must draw up a Statement of Work. This document reflects:
- Address and date of installation;
- Factory number of the meter;
- Information about the workers who performed the installation;
- Assessment of the movement of the meter mechanism;
- Readings of the device at the time of connection;
- Date of planned check of the meter.
Installation of a gas meter (installation cost), depending on the complexity of the work. The payment receipt is enclosed to the act of work executed in triplicate, one of which is given to the customer.
Then you need to call a specialist from the gas service to seal the device. He checks compliance of the installation with the project documentation; if there are no claims, sets the seal and draws up an act.
After the abovementioned procedures a contract is made with the direct gas supplier for payment, maintenance of gas equipment, and the rights and obligations of the parties are determined.
Inspection of gas meters for a private home
The integrity of the device and the seal is the responsibility of the user. He must periodically inspect the meter and in case of defects must immediately notify the gas service. Faults can include:
- Damage to the case;
- Breaking of the seal integrity;
- Doubts about the correctness of the readings;
- Suspicion of improper operation of the counter mechanism.
These obligations are spelled out in the contract between the consumer and the gas supply company. The obligation on the part of the service is the elimination of deficiencies within a month, as well as the inspection of the gas meter, the terms of which are defined in the document as once every six months.
The design of the gas meter depends on many facts: the measurement mechanisms of registration, power, purpose, flow capacity. The main are considered 2 categories:
- Mechanical. gas flows through the pipe at a certain speed, depending on the pressure. Its flow drives the transmission mechanism to the counting device.
- Electronic. sensors detect the volume of gas being conveyed and send the appropriate pulses. Number of pulses are recorded and converted into flow meter readings. Electronic models have an LCD display.
Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. Mechanical models are easier to maintain and are independent of electricity. Electronic meters are more accurate and last longer.
Metering devices are divided into 5 groups according to their design.
Diaphragm or diaphragm flowmeter most commonly used in the home. Easy to operate, suitable for small and medium volumes of gas.
- Operating life of more than 20 years. this is important because the replacement of the used meter is at the expense of the consumer;
- Long interval between checks. 10 years;
- Can work with insufficiently purified methane;
- Low price.
The design is complicated, but reliable. Several sensitive diaphragms connected to a system of channels and valves. When gas enters the meter, it fills the first chamber, after which a valve opens and lets gas into the second chamber. The cycle is constantly repeating as long as gas is flowing through the pipe. Because the volume of the chamber is known, it is not difficult to convert the number of times it is opened into the volume of gas that has passed through the meter. Valves are operated by transmitting force through a crank mechanism.
A variety of mechanical models. Used in households, boiler rooms, small and medium-sized enterprises. Electrically independent, robust, and able to withstand short periods of stress.
The principle of operation is as follows: 2 octahedron rotors rotate in the body, running over the sides. The first one is connected to the gear mechanism, the second one to the counting mechanism. The rotors rotate due to the difference in gas pressure that occurs when the gas enters through the inlet connection and exits through the outlet connection.
Measurement accuracy depends on the ease of movement of the rotors. When inspecting the meter this parameter is carefully evaluated.
complicated in design and include a turbine with rotating supports, a jet rectifier and a pumping unit. The last one maintains the rotation bearings. Depending on the pressure, the turbine rotates at different speeds. The number of revolutions is fixed by the counter mechanism.
The mechanical device can be automated. In this case, the calculation device performs the control of accounting.
Turbine meter is reliable, easy in maintenance, creates little noise during operation. Used in businesses. Disadvantage: The accuracy of the measurement depends on the stability and continuity of the flow. In the pulsed mode the measurement error increases markedly.
Such a meter works on the principle of displacement. A drum rotates under the action of pressure in a fluid such as water or oil. 4 measuring chambers are filled and emptied. The gas volume in this case is measured directly. Careful calibration of the cameras ensures very high measurement accuracy.
Drum meter readings are not affected by temperature or degree of gas purification.
Mostly used in places where high accuracy is critical: factory labs, institutes.
They are based on creation of vortex motion in gas, steam or liquid flow. Trapezoidal streamlined body and transducers fixing magnitude of arising eddies are installed in the tube, along which gas is supplied. Pairing of sensors provides higher measurement accuracy and insensitivity to vibration and acoustic disturbances.
Vortex gas meters are designed for operation in pipes with a diameter of 50 to 500 mm at a pressure of up to 30 MPa and a temperature of.60 to 500 C.
Operating principle of the electronic gas meter
“Smart” gas meters are equipped with electronic measuring modules. The instruments are fully automated and usually independent of electricity. Operation of the electronics is ensured by a rechargeable battery.
The electronic module offers some advantages:
- accurate measurements. the conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy is faster and more accurate, the sensors can take into account changes in pressure at different gas temperatures, etc.
- The meters are equipped with LCDs. They are more convenient and transfer more information to the user.
- Modules have memory. The device allows you to record current readings and compare all measurements over time.
- Precise adjustment. measurement modules are literally “adjusted” to the indicators of fed gas.
- Electronics need more protection. But as a result, the entire device is more durable.
The models may include options: a shut-off valve, which is triggered by a gas leak, a Smart-card reader mechanism, which allows you to immediately pay for the blue fuel.
What to look for when choosing a gas meter
To select the best device, it is worth paying attention to:
- Flow capacity. the maximum volume of gas that the instrument can pass, is specified in the product certificate. The flow capacity of the flow meter should exceed the total consumption of all gas appliances in the dwelling by 10%.
- The diameter of the inlet pipe that leads to the meter. It is usually ½ or ¾ inch. Pipes with a 1-inch cross-section are less common. Depending on the diameter of the pipe choose cap nuts for the meter.
- Interaxial distance. There are three distances between meter fittings: 250 mm, 200 mm and 110 mm. Greater distance corresponds to greater gas consumption. For example, for a house with three consuming devices put the device with a connecting distance of 200 mm to 250 mm. It is also necessary to consider the direction of gas supply in relation to consumer devices. Usually it is indicated by a special arrow on the meter.
- Temperature range of the device. When choosing a meter, you must pay attention to the conditions of its operation. If the meter will be outdoors in a non-heated room, choose a device with a temperature range from 40 to. 40 Cº.
- The date of manufacture. the operating life of the device begins not with the date of installation, but with the date of manufacture. It is specified in the data sheet.
- The place of installation of the meter.
- Interval of verification. the longer it is, the less often you have to pay for technical check-up.
A meter allows to rationally allocate the family budget. Having a gas consumption meter one can regulate gas consumption, additionally fostering thriftiness and orderliness. It is only necessary to select and place the device correctly.
In the plot. Construction and principle of operation of gas meter NPM-G4
In the story. What you can officially do if the gas meter is spinning fast
Before you choose a meter, it is necessary to decide on the place of installation, because the design depends on this. If you do not consider this point, you may encounter problems: you will have to redo the supply pipes or buy another device. Several important nuances must be provided.
Separate Electric Meters | Split Hydro | Purpose Built Second Suites | Rental Property | Explained
First, you should consider the direction of the gas, which can flow from left to right, and can. from right to left. The orientation is always indicated by an arrow on the body of the device.
Secondly, it is important that the diameter of the connection socket of the device coincided with the diameter of the gas supply pipe and union nuts. In apartment buildings, the pipe usually has a diameter of ½ inch. In private homes, supply pipes of ¾ and 1 inch diameter are found.
Thirdly, the distances of the center threaded joints must match. If installed at the top of a horizontal pipe they usually range from 110 to 250 mm.
After finding out how much does a gas meter of this or that type cost, determine the device of what company is better to install in an apartment, house or enterprise. In all cases, experts recommend buying in stores or ordering online devices from the world’s best manufacturers. This approach allows obtaining a high-quality device that will work properly and provide accurate data.
- Betar ;
- Elekhant ;
- Dio Tech ;
- Schetpribor ;
- Elster (Germany);
- Turbulence-Don ;
- BelOMO (Belarus);
- Gazdevice ;
- Grand ;
- Metrix (Poland).
Electronic gas meters
The device for gas accounting is designed for household use by individual consumers. Its capacity 1.6 cu. m/h is enough to control the consumption of carbohydrate raw materials in apartments with a 4-burner stove with an oven and a gas heater. A lithium battery (service life 6-12 years) is used as a power source.
The device is equipped with captive nuts, thanks to which the installation is carried out without additional fixtures and welding. Horizontal and vertical installation is supported. The T-piece included in the delivery set makes it possible to use the gas and make its pressure test during repair or check of the meter.
Betar SGBM-1,6 works based on the jet metering method. This allowed to achieve maximum reliability of the construction due to the absence of moving parts. Temperature correction function (20°C) enables accurate fuel consumption measurement regardless of seasonal temperature.
Electronic box includes “calendar” function to fix power outage during operation. KRC357NT optocoupler allows remote reading. By default a pulse is given to the external network for every 10 liters of gas passing through. You can change this parameter if you want.
- Degree of protection. IP 54;
- Low price;
- The verification interval is 12 years;
- Low weight. 0.670 kg and compact dimensions (70x88x76 mm);
- 2 measuring media: natural gas and liquefied gas.
To avoid meter breakage it is recommended to use at the temperature from.10 to 50°C. Humidity of the air should not exceed 95% at a temperature of 35°C.
Jet type instrument with nominal flow rate 1.8 cu. m/h is used to meter natural or liquefied gas in a domestic environment. It differs with compact dimensions (110х66х55 mm) and small weight (0.3 kg). This makes it easy to fit the unit in any tight space.
Installation of Elehant SGB-1,8 is carried out with the help of bayonet nut, which eliminates the need in gas-welding works. Both vertical and horizontal positions of the enclosure are supported. In addition to the current readings, the unit collects and stores the results for a year.
The advantage of the model is easy to read. The design provides for display with clockwise rotation of the image in increments of 90 degrees. Built-in backlight for brighter and clearer display. It doesn’t irritate your eyes and saves energy because it only turns on when you press a button.
Determining which gas meter is better to put in the apartment, you should pay attention to its design features. An interesting feature of the model is the availability of a replaceable plastic cover. With its help you can change the appearance, which will look harmoniously with any kitchen set. Available in 11 colors: white, black, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, mint, peach and light blue.
- Affordable price;
- Long interval between checks. 12 years;
- Excellent quality (developed by aviation radio engineers);
- Long service life. 24 years;
- A concise design.
Arzamas SGBE-2,4 1/2
The appliance is used in private homes and apartments, where the maximum fuel consumption is 2.4 cubic meters. m/h. Can be mounted vertically or horizontally, making readings easy to see. When installed, the direction of the arrow on the body must match the gas flow.
Arzamas SGBE-2,4 1/2 housing is not prone to chips and other mechanical damage, as it is made of durable zinc-aluminum alloy. The construction supports the change of a colorful cover, allowing quickly and inexpensively change the appearance of the unit.
The counter is powered by a lithium battery, which has a lifetime of 8 to 12 years. Model has a pulse output that allows remote reading. Temperature correction function for precise calculation of gas used.
Relocating my gas meter
- Dust and water protection. IP50;
- The average service life is at least 24 years;
- Easy installation;
- Silent operation;
- Small dimensions. 120x85x82 mm.
For installation it is recommended to use gaskets, purchased in specialized stores. This will help to avoid breakage due to poor quality material. Experts advise to pay attention to the material PMB GOST 23358-87.
Counter SGM-1.6 1/2
Unit with throughput rate of 1.6 cube. m / h keeps a record of used natural and liquefied mixtures with non-aggressive characteristics in domestic conditions. Usually installed in apartments where there are 2 or 4 burner stoves with an oven.
Smart Gas Meter Installation
Determining which gas meter is better in small rooms, it is important to consider its compactness. This model is characterized by optimal dimensions. 110x84x82 mm. It is possible to place it on the horizontal (right, left) or vertical section. Provides a function to rotate the screen to 350 degrees, which greatly facilitates the reading of data.
Gas meter SGM-1.6 1/2 works on a lithium AA battery of voltage 3.6 В. It should be replaced no earlier than the end of the service life of the meter (12 years). The ambient temperature during operation must be between.10 to 50°C. Pulse output allows you to connect the device to an external metering system.
For correct operation it is important to prevent stresses on the meter in the form of compression, stretching, bending and uneven tightening of the fasteners. You can use compensators or a support for this.
- Household gas meters are designed to meter gas consumption in private homes and apartments;
- Industrial meters are designed for industrial metering of gas consumption.
According to the type of operation gas meters are divided into:
- Diaphragm type (the most common type), due to the diaphragms inside the meter, the gas flows to the inlet, creating pressure. Diaphragms drive the mechanism, through which the number of revolutions translated into cubic meters is read.
- The rotary counter is a reliable type of mechanical counter, usually used in industry.
The gas flows through the meters, rotating the rotors whose speed is converted by the mechanism into indicators.
- Ultrasonic waves spread in two opposite directions. Reflecting the ultrasonic signals the speed is calculated from which the gas flow in cubic meters is obtained.
- Turbine meters are usually used for reading large gas volumes. Inside the meter there is a turbine and the gas presses on the turbine blades and forces them to move. The rotary motion is transferred to the reading mechanism and gives the result.
Elster BK G4T Right
Gas meter BK G4T right is a device with mechanical control. Consists of a solid casing that is resistant to corrosion.
Allowed for indoor and outdoor installation.
The device monitors the flow of high accuracy of readings and does not make noise during operation. Gas flows from right to left. Installation is quite simple and the model does not require much attention. The interval between checks was established by the manufacturer in 10 years. The possibility of backflow is blocked in the device. Even at low temperatures, it gives accurate readings. The meter is large in size that must be kept in mind when choosing a place for its installation.
Top 7 best gas meters: reviews, advantages and disadvantages, characteristics
Gas fuel is widely used in households and industries, and to control its flow special meters are designed to account for the spent cubic meters and help control the financial costs. Their installation is regulated by the Federal Law 61 of 23.11.2009 г. Meters differ in capacity, depending on its purpose: apartment, home, industry. They differ in design and type of mechanism (electronic or mechanical). Choose a meter, taking into account the place of installation, size, mounting system, and capacity. In the private sector are used electronic, rotary or diaphragm varieties, for installation outdoors requires the function of thermal correction.