Causes of ice and snow
Snow in the refrigerator or freezer compartment often forms for reasons unrelated to appliance malfunction. These include:
- Incorrect choice of mode. Setting the intense freezing function in the summertime results in a dense snow coat. Check if the regulator is set correctly. Some users believe that the harder a refrigerator freezes, the longer it will keep food fresh. This is not the case, because turning on an intensive mode increases the load on the compressor and causes the refrigerator to malfunction.
- Normal operation of drip system. In such refrigerators, ice forms periodically on the rear wall and thaws.
- Improper operation. Ice forms when hot foods and liquids are placed in open containers. Evaporating moisture settles on the walls. When the compressor is running, the drips freeze, while the motor is resting, the water melts and is drained through the drainage hole. If there is a lot of condensate, the snow coat will remain for a long time.
- Contamination of the defrost system. Drain holes become clogged with food debris, mold, dust. Regular cleaning of the refrigerator helps to avoid the appearance of failure. And preventive cleaning of the drain (once a month), using a cotton swab.
- Overloading the freezer with food. If it is very tightly packed, the motor has to work for a long time to reach sub-zero temperature, because of this in the upper chamber may appear frost and ice. In this case you don’t have to worry as soon as the freezing cycle is over everything will thaw.
Ice in the refrigerator Atlant or any other cooling appliance can appear because of the loss of refrigerant or damage to some parts of the system.
Wear of the gasket
The part is designed to maintain tightness of the space inside the refrigerator. Over time, the material loses its qualities. Damage to the sealing rubber may be caused by improper operation of the appliance. Temperature in the chamber rises and causes freezing of rear wall. The compressor tries to make up for the lack of cooling by running continuously. Evaporator fails to remove condensate. Ice builds up evenly.
You can locate the fault yourself. To do this, the sheet of paper is clamped when the door is closed. After that, try to pull out the object. If the paper pulls out easily, the gasket needs to be replaced.
Capillary tube blockage
If the walls of the refrigerator freezer compartment become covered in ice due to clogged cooling system tubes, the following accompanying signs occur:
- Overheating of the compressor;
- Continuous operation of the motor;
- Increase of the temperature in the main compartment;
- Thawing of food placed in the freezer.
The capillary openings are clogged with particles of machine oil heated by the circulation of freon. In this case there is uneven distribution of the refrigerant, as a result of which ice freezes on the rear wall of the refrigerator. The following steps help to eliminate the problem:
Why is Your Freezer Frosting & Fridge Freezing
Equipment of what manufacturer do you use in your home?
When the amount of refrigerant is reduced, ice freezes on the back wall in one place. snow is observed in the corners. After defrosting, the unit stops cooling completely. Causes of freon loss are:
- Failure of tubes of capillary system, caused by incorrect operation of the refrigeration system;
- Corrosion of some parts of the system (defect is the most typical for drop-type refrigerators);
- Clogging of the cooling system tubes.
If the Indesit No Frost in the freezer freezes and the engine starts to run continuously, you need to look for the cause of a freon leak. After the complete loss of refrigerant the compressor stops and will not start. In this case the refrigerant must be replaced or topped up.
If the walls of the freezing chamber are covered with ice, and the refrigerator operates and doesn’t turn off, it is necessary to check the functionality of the thermostat. Freezing in this case has an uneven character. In mechanically controlled appliances, the relay in the evaporator malfunctions. In electronic systems the air duct is responsible for regulating the temperature. Defective part gives a signal to the compressor to increase the temperature in the chamber. Motor starts to run without shutting down. The thermostat in this case must be replaced.
Insulation is frozen
In such case the formation of ice scale covers only the damaged zone. Failed portion of insulation is removed and replaced with new one. Repair is expensive, so if you have been using the appliance for a long time, consider buying another one.
Magnetic valve breakage
The following signs help to detect malfunction:
Magnetic valve operates in 2 modes, which include alternate and simultaneous cooling of the compartments. If there are voltage fluctuations, the part starts to work for lowering the temperature in both compartments. This causes food to freeze and ice to build up on the surfaces. The temperature in the freezer is constantly rising.
Freezing not related to technical failures
Not always the appearance of snow and ice on the back wall indicates the occurrence of breakdowns. In some cases, the problem is caused by incorrect operation of the refrigeration equipment or turns out to be a characteristic feature of the unit’s operating cycle. The most common situations of this type are:
- Hot weather and heavy cooling inside the unit. It is necessary to see, what value of freezing is set in the system. It is commonly believed that cooling must be increased as the temperature rises (to avoid food spoilage), but this is not actually the case. There is no relationship between the internal and external temperature conditions. Intensive cooling increases the load and accelerates the deterioration of the unit, excess ice and snow are typical in this situation.
- A thin layer of frost occasionally appears, but gradually disappears. If this cycle is repeated and does not cause any discomfort in the operation of the equipment, it is a normal working regime. This is particularly true for models with a drip defrost system. No reason to worry.
- Infringement of the operating requirements of the manufacturer. Freezing gets worse if heated or open containers are placed in the refrigerating compartment, especially those containing liquids. Evaporation takes place over time, with subsequent condensation on the rear wall. Because there is more moisture than the normal operating mode allows, there is not enough time for defrosting, and frost gradually builds up.
If none of these variants concerns your problem the most probable fridge breakage. The following information will help understand the causes.
Ice is freezing on the back of the refrigerator
Even if you have a high-quality modern refrigerator in your kitchen it is quite possible that sooner or later you can face a situation when the ice begins to freeze on the back wall of the refrigerating chamber. It is also called the snow “coat”. It happens regularly with older refrigerators. If in your fridge happened such unpleasant situation, it does not mean that the appliances are out of order, although it is possible. Let’s examine the causes of ice freezing in the fridge.
Synopsis. Freezing can occur both in appliances with a drip cooling system and in the “No Frost” system.
Why on the back wall of the refrigerator the ice and snow freezes?
One of the common “malfunctions” is considered to be freezing in the refrigerator. In case it is an “ancient model”, then the defect is written off on age. In modern Indesit, LG, Bosch, Atlant (and other brands) this should not happen. Knowing why there is ice on the back wall, you can try to solve this problem yourself. If it does not help, you cannot do without calling a master. About this. further on.
The normal operation of the refrigerator and the frost inside
If the fridge has a drip-defrosting system (Indesit, Atlant, Nord, etc.), then the periodicity of the moisture drainage and freezing on the back wall is normal. The principle of operation of such system is that it freezes the moisture for some time, cooling the internal space, and then this moisture defrosts and drains into the special hole at the bottom. This is how it works. But these freezes are small and quickly disappear.
And it is necessary to understand why the snow in the form of “coat” is formed on the fridge wall:
- Cooling mode set to maximum during the hot season. There is a common misconception that if it is hot, the refrigerator needs more power in order not to spoil the food. The consequence of this misconception is a coating of frost on the back wall in the refrigerator compartment. To correct this misunderstanding, you need to defrost the refrigerator and turn it on again, in normal mode.
- Excessive food load. When the unit is difficult to cope with its function because of the large number of products inside, then from intensive work icing of the wall is formed. It is necessary to defrost the appliance to work properly and to avoid overloading it with the contents.
- Warm food in the refrigerator. It is not allowed to put into the device the foods which temperature is higher than the room temperature. They cause evaporation of moisture, it covers the walls and freezes, plus it is an additional load on the unit itself. The snow “coat” is the evidence of its improper use. Actions in this case are the same as in the two previous ones.
- Ajar door that you forgot to close. Warm air inlet causes icing.
When these causes are eliminated and the snow still gathers, it means that there is a breakdown that only a specialist can deal with.
Probable breakdowns: what to do
In the refrigerator, on the back wall, the ice is freezing and there is a reasonable question what to do. It is better to fix the breakdown at once, before there are serious problems.
Problems after repair diagnostics, preventive maintenance
If your refrigerator is covered with ice from the inside, recall if the following work has been done:
The incompetent service technician could have broken the settings of work or mechanically damaged the important units. 99 per cent of the problems with the refrigeration equipment after the servicing works are connected with the mistakes of the refrigerators repairmen. In this case, contact the company or person who has worked on your refrigerator.
Checking the freon in the refrigerator.
This is the name of the refrigerant that constantly circulates in the system. It absorbs heat and releases cold. The substance has no color or odor, so its leakage can be noticed only by circumstantial signs. Leakage is most often observed in the soldering points, which are also called locking joints, or in the weeping evaporator if corrosion has corroded it.
Sign of a breakdown. The motor is running all the time, thus compensating for the lack of refrigerant. Ice appears in the corner of the compartment. After defrosting the fridge does not freeze at all.
Solution. The system needs to be repaired and recharged with Freon. If the evaporator is damaged, it most often has to be replaced.
No Frost and Total No Frost: circulation problems
In the refrigerators of No Frost system one or several fans are located behind the rear panel. They blow cool air through the cavity and cool the food evenly. If one or more fans break down or get clogged, the back wall of the refrigerator is completely or partially covered with ice.
To check the operation of the blower system is simple. Open the refrigerator for 20-30 seconds. Bring the river to the air ducts in the back. If you don’t feel the airflow or the airflow is weak. there is a problem with the fan. It may malfunction, get clogged with dirt or freeze.
You can clean the fan yourself:
- Disconnect refrigerator from power supply;
- Completely unload groceries, remove shelves and drawers;
- Wait for the ice from the back wall to melt;
- Remove the plastic from the back panel;
- Turn on the refrigerator and check if the fans work.
You have to call a service technician or try to solve a problem by yourself. We recommend cleaning the fans to remove any dirt. If the problem is not solved. repair or replacement of fans, diagnostics of electric wiring is necessary.
Frozen fan in Samsung RF263BEAESR refrigerator with No Frost system
The door seal is damaged
Due to poor sealing, heat from the outside environment gets inside the unit. The evaporator has no time to defrost because the motor is on all the time.
Warning signs of malfunction. The rear panel of the compartment becomes evenly frosted. The motor is on most of the time, trying to maintain a pre-set temperature.
Large amounts of food and ready meals are the reason why the back wall of the refrigerator is covered with ice. There should be enough space in the compartment to mix cold and warm air.
If there is insufficient convection, the rear wall at the bottom will be very cold. Moisture will condense on it and freeze. This applies mostly to refrigerators with a drip system. Appliances with No Frost technology are less prone to ice formation due to lack of space.
When the fridge compartment is so full of food, air circulation is out of the question
No Frost: Clogged ducts
If there is poor (or no) air circulation through one or more ducts, they may be clogged. You can check the conjecture with a visual inspection. Debris and dirt can get behind the rear panel and be visible through the holes. Ice buildup sometimes forms in the air vents.
You can clean them without removing the plastic covers on the far side of the camera. But it’s better to disassemble it and completely clean the interior behind the back wall. To avoid problems and inconvenience defrost the refrigerator beforehand.
Ice in the ductwork of a No Frost refrigerator
In some models with a drip defrost system, the drain hole is under the vegetable drawers. The inclination of the lower part of the chamber may be small, up to 5 degrees (e.g., in older Samsung models). If the refrigerator is misaligned and tilted forward (toward the door), water will not drain.
The solution is to twist the legs of the refrigerator so that it takes a strictly vertical position. Or put something under them and level the unit if the casters or feet are not adjustable.
Forgot to turn off or set?
Older models and inexpensive refrigerators have manual override of the super-freezing function. It does not shut off automatically. If ice suddenly builds up on the walls of the freezer, check to see if SuperFrost is turned off.
The most common reason a refrigerator freezes with ice and snow inside is the wrong temperature setting. If you set the temperature in the chamber at 5 ° C, the evaporator will always be cooler.
If the temperature is too low, the evaporator can cool the back wall below 0 degrees. This will cause the rear wall to freeze. The solution is simple: defrost the fridge and set the temperature one degree higher. If that doesn’t help, repeat the procedure.
Temperature measurement errors
In electronically controlled refrigerators, temperature control is regulated by an air sensor. Older, less expensive models have a thermostat (temperature control valve or TRV) located in the evaporator.
If these components fail, it causes the temperature inside the chamber to reach a higher or lower value. There is ice and snow on the rear wall of the fridge. In some cases on the contrary. the temperature inside rises.
You can set a higher or lower temperature, but this is a temporary solution. It is better to call a master. He will replace or repair the faulty thermostat or air temperature sensor.
Capillary tube is clogged
If clogged, the refrigerant circulation is impaired. The cause is a clump of machine oil, also present in the circuit.
Sign of a breakdown. The chamber is not cooling enough and the motor is running all the time. Compressor gets very hot.
Solution. You need to clean the system, refill the freon, check and if necessary replace the oil.
The risk of clogging increases if the system is filled with low-grade oil, the refrigerator stands against a wall or in a hot room, and the radiator is not cleaned of dust. Oil heats up and decomposes, contaminating the piping system.
Coat and clogs in the freon line
The operating principle of the refrigerator is based on the freon condensation and evaporation cycle. It circulates in a closed system via copper tubes. During operation, foreign substances get into it:
- Microparticles from worn compressor parts;
- Refrigeration oil decomposition products;
- Clots of rapidly cooled compressor oil getting into the evaporator;
- Alien contamination (from servicing the refrigerator).
Deposits can collect in one place and form a plug. They can also deposit on the surface of the capillary copper tubes of the evaporator.
In the former case, the compressor will work intensely and the refrigerator will freeze snow and ice. Frost builds up over the entire area, or in an isolated spot. This occurs due to pressure differences in the system upstream and downstream of the clogged contamination.
Evaporator thermal conductivity decreases as precipitate is formed. It gives off less heat at the point where it accumulates. The compressor will work in intensive mode, and the power consumption of the refrigerator will increase. The compartment will not cool evenly. A coat of snow or ice forms on part of the garden wall.
You can’t fix it yourself. For repair you need professional equipment, consumables. A specialist will have to:
If the problem is with the sensor
Usually the sensor is installed in electronically controlled refrigerators. This gauge monitors the temperature in the chambers and signals the compressor to turn on and off. If the sensor is broken, the motor begins to run without interruption and the refrigerator freezes very hard and a pile of ice can get frozen. Here it is better not to meddle and immediately invite a knowledgeable person.
If this problem is allowed to go unchecked, the compressor, which is working at the limit, will stop working altogether. Repair costs can be unpleasant.
If it’s the compressor
Practice shows that the compressor does not break down very often. Fixing screws could become loose or there could be damages of mechanical nature.
The cause of compressor malfunction can be immediately recognized by these symptoms:
Abnormal operating conditions
May be due to forgetfulness or haste, but many users allow the refrigerator compartment to operate improperly. They put not fully cooled products in the chamber, overload the freezing chamber or leave the liquid in unclosed containers. This can lead not only to ice in the chamber and puddles under the appliance’s bottom drawer, but also to more negative consequences.
Electromechanical refrigerators have a thermostat, while electronic ones have an air thermostat. It measures the temperature in the compartments. If the sensor is faulty, the “motor” receives incorrect temperature data, and constantly turns on. Therefore, there is always ice on the rear wall.
Sign of malfunction. Very low temperature in walk-in freezer and even frost formation. The motor starts frequently, the pauses between starts are very short.
Insulating layer is frozen
In this case, the thermal insulation layer of the refrigerated cabinet becomes moistened by condensate and becomes damp.
Sign of malfunction. Rear wall is unevenly covered with a thick layer of ice.
Solution. Damaged part of the thermal insulation material is being replaced.
How do you repair your appliances?Call a technician yourself
Solenoid switching valve malfunction
In normal condition, the valve alternately cools both chambers or the freezer. Failure of the component causes the temperature in the refrigerator compartment to be much lower than it should be.
Signs of malfunction. Too low temperature in the refrigerating cabinet. At the same time, the freezer readings are higher than the preset parameters.
This reason is relevant for those who are too greedy. It’s a good idea, but you don’t want to overdo it. If the chamber is filled to overflowing with product, the compressor fails to do its job. The engine is in operation all the time, stopping once in a while. There is frost or ice on the rear wall of the chamber. To avoid this happening, the products should be evenly arranged on the shelves.
Compressor starts to work intensively due to overloading of the fridge
The starting relay is responsible for starting and stopping the compressor on time. If the relay is faulty, the motor may not start. Or it can start, but then it will immediately stop. You can’t fix it on your own, so you need to trust the experts to solve this problem.
If the refrigerator as a whole works normally, but on the back wall frosts strongly, it can be caused by improper use of the unit. Not only does the appliance affect the food that is stored in it, but the contents of the refrigerator or freezer affect the condition of the appliances.
The main causes of ice formation not related to the breakage:
- storage of warm foods, for example, not enough cooled after heating a pot of soup, due to which excessive condensation is formed;
- Storage of open dishes or containers with liquid contents, which evaporates and settles on the walls, and then freezes;
- Overloading and too dense placement of products. the air in the chambers must circulate for efficient and uniform freezing;
- frequent and long opening of the door, its loose closing, leaving it open. in this case the warm air gets inside the chamber, the compressor tries to compensate for this by working more intensively.
This also includes improper temperature control. Sometimes, homeowners overcool, hoping that this will keep food from spoiling and extend its shelf life. Especially it is often done in the summer heat.
Useful hints for normal operation
In order for your equipment to last as long as possible, you need to do some simple manipulations to help keep it safe:
- If the snow “fur coat” appears for the first time, it is necessary to defrost the fridge immediately. If the phenomenon repeats. give it in repair.
- Do not break off chunks of ice with your hands or use sharp objects, as this can damage the evaporator.
- The best way to defrost. the natural way, without speeding up the process by folk methods.
- Do not overload the refrigerator and do not put warm foods.
- Make sure the door closes tightly.
Proper handling of the technique and timely detection of breakage. these are the main points that every refrigerator owner should know.